left a note today.....

Michi

Well, I left a note today on a windshield in the parking lot at Wal-Mart.
(And suffered extreme anxiety while doing so!):eek:
Normally I am not the type of person to do that, but this car had two of the oldest T-shield car seats I have ever seen!
I very nicely told them that most car seats expire 6 yrs from the date of manufacture, and that the plastic and harness webbing can break down and fail to work in a crash. Then I directed them to both our local Safe Kids and car-safety.org for more info.
I also pointed out that Wal Mart sells the #2 recommended car-seat (the Scenera) for a decent price.
I know the letter wasn't perfect, but I hope it at least makes them aware of the danger of their current seats.

ADS
B

bucket2

Been there, done that. I usually write that their seat has been recalled for safety reasons and should be replaced ASAP. Then I encourage them to contact AAA or the Safety Council for more info.

I've also left notes for FF seats where the harness was not in the top slots. This is becoming a harder call, since it's not a issue on all convertables anymore, but if the harness is in slanted slots, it's a safe bet. Then I write that the harness needs to be moved because the lower slots can break and allow the child to be ejected.

Don't stress. Worst case is they totally ignore your info, but you made the effort to help. I'd like to think the note is less "threatening" than verbal interaction.

Splash

I did have one woman call the cops on me before. I saw her get the child out of the car, and the baby was maybe nine months, FF, in a comfort sport in the lowest slots. I left a note saying how unsafe it was, directed her to cpsafety.com and carseat.org, and left my cell phone number if she had any questions I could answer.
Then I happened to see her in the mall at the play area while my kids were playing, and casually mentioned that I had seen her get out of the car and left a note, but wanted her to know I wasn't some crazy lady :)

She went all crazy and left. Then the cops called me later that evening. The cop was nice and all, and I wasn't in trouble. He just wanted the story, and told her HE would talk to her about the rules of this state.

Michi

Splash said:
I did have one woman call the cops on me before.

Oh wow! That would freak me out - Not to mention DH would go off the deep end!
He already thinks I way too concerned about other people's car seats!:rolleyes:

I don't have the guts to confront a stranger in person, but I figure worst case scenario, they tear the letter up...
but at least now they know about the seats.
Like I said...this is SO not me, but I really think those seats were from the 80's so my conscious made me do something about it!

skaterbabs

I left my business card in a lady's car today (open windows), she had an *ancient* shield booster in her back seat, the kind that hasn't been made in at least ten years, and a combination booster with straps like braided ribbons.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I've left relevant carseat info print-outs & my business card dozens of times -- usually ignored I guess: only 1 person responded with a request for help & then a few weeks ago (at least that long) Leila & I had chatted up with a family of 3 kids in the movies to see them put their infant FF outside so I explained what I do & that I happened to have a spare convertible that they could have ... suddenly I felt like they thought I had 3 heads, they refused help, so Leila & I left on foot -- moments later their car rolls up on us & they're accusing me of "stealing" their lisence plate info (which I didn't even look at, but uh well it is publically accessable, LOL) & that I "frightened" them (oh yes little me who fits children size 14 clothes, LOL, on foot with my 4 year old vs. big mama + big papa in a moving vehicle), they wanted my supervisors info (couldn't believe it possible that I don't have one), went on to explain that she's a L&D nurse (supposedly with 20 hours in CPS training?) & their Ped. told them to do it this way, etc. then went on to badger me about how unsafe it was for me to be walking my daughter home & said I must be riding the bus as if that's a bad thing @@ Obviously, there was nothing for me to say or do except let them rant & leave so I could finish the 2 block walk home -- it was a nice day & I refused to let some nutsos ruin it for us *SIGH* In the future, though, I'll stick to just giving out flyers & calling in lisence plates anonymously :rolleyes: :eek:

RubysGirl

Wow, it sounds like they *knew* they were doing something wrong and were affraid they would suffer legal concequences, so they felt a need to intimidate you in hopes you wouldn't report anything.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I don't know -- but, we don't have the "proper use" clause in our law so calling the police would have at best spread awareness of the issue within the law enforcement community (they can't legally do anything about an FF baby) & help me release some tension ... at worst just annoyed the cops since there's nothing technically illegal about an FF baby -- unsafe, of course, but not illegal *SHRUG* Hopefully NY will get smart enough to include RF until at least 12 & 20 into the law soon *SIGH*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC