late 90's early 2000's Suburban/Yukons?

montanamama

So after a 5 day camping trip over the 4th that required us driving 3 different vehicles:eek: (truck to pull trailer, MPV to haul gear/dogs, and Mazda5 for kids) We decided it would be worth it to get a used Suburban to replace our MPV. Most of the time we are a 1 car family DH walks/bikes to work he maybe drives to the store once a week, and I drive the 5 for the gas mileage. The Truck and Trailer are stored at my inlaws, their house a 2 hour drive from our house. We live in a housing development so no place to store them here plus most of our camping is up by their house anyways.

We need a vehicle that can pull the trailer (24ft arctic fox), fit 4-5 kids 2hbb, 1ff 1rf 1 teen, 2 dog crates, and our gear! Looking around our area we can get a 1997-2003ish Suburban/Yukon XL for around 10,000 or less with around 100,000-150,000 miles.

So any one have any reviews? Things to look for/ look out for?

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My parents have a '97 Suburban 1500. Apparently that year/model is prone to tranny issues, and they've had to have theirs replaced (the 2500 was better, apparently.). Also, no tethers at all, and the official retrofit for the second row uses third row seat belts. Third row tethers are the cargo hooks at the tailgate. No headrests or shoulder belts in the centre positions.

Lots of room though! Easy peasy three across in the second row!

Tashinamommyto3

I have a 2000 with three teather spots in the second row and one in the third row. I just recently looked at an 03 and it had latch in middle and passenger seats in the second row and...it had a lap/shoulder belt in the center, second row! I was shocked! Still no headrest, but that meant a HBB, like my parkway could have gone there.
For camping, we have three kids and a dog. We also pull a boat. I had no trouble at all with both back rows up and in use. My daughter, in the third row, had all our blankets and such in the seat beside her and we put a few little bags in the floor of the second row. Still had a plenty of room though. We love our suburban. We decided to wait on the 03 because it's about time for a new body style....which means 07 and newer should start to get s bit cheaper.
Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC