LATCH weight limit in 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

HeidiSmith

I just bought a Britax Frontier 85 for my soon to turn 5 year old son. Does anyone know where I can find the latch weight limits for my 05 Grand Cherokee? It's not in the manual, and I didn't find it on the Jeep Forum website. The Frontier manual says to assume 40 lbs. if not specified. I don't mind using the seat belt, but I prefer the LATCH system.
Just wondering about the limit, and if there is a one stop, go to website that contains this kind of information.
Thanks!:)

ADS

HeidiSmith

HeidiSmith

Thank you Wendy! I installed this morning using LATCH since my son weighs 41 lbs., and I called Britax to get a locking clip since I will need to switch to the seat belt soon. My seat belts are emergency locking only with a sliding latch plate. Grrr... But, Britax is sending the clip so we will be good to go.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Actually, your belts lock at the latchplate. Locking seatbelts predate LATCH. They were required in all cars in the 1997 model year. Compare your seatbelts in the back to the driver's seatbelt. You'll see that the male end of the buckle is bigger with a moving part compared to the driver's belt. That's where it locks.

Wendy

HeidiSmith

Hmmm, I wondered about that. I did notice that the rear seatbelts look different, but I wasn't sure if they really locked. I buckled one belt and then pulled to loosen the lap section and I was able to loosen it a bit. Is that supposed to happen?

I would LOVE not having to use the locking clip. Can I feel secure using my seat belt without the clip? (I've always been a latch user, so although I know the seat belt is just as safe for securing a child seat, I'm not as sure about my ability to install it correctly.)

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC