Latch strap question- possibly stupid

Starfire

I am trying to install a KidsEmbrace Batman combo seat and cannot get the LATCH strap to tighten in either of my vehicles.I don't recall seeing this on any of our other seats, but there is a smaller strap that attaches the LATCH strap to the bottom of the seat. It's attached to a screw in the base. When I thread the LATCH strap through the back of the seat correctly and attach the hooks to the anchors, this attachment strap impedes the LATCH strap from tightening all the way. I plan to call the company when I get a chance later today, but I wondered if I'm just a moron and this attachment strap is meant to be removed before installation. It doesn't appear in the illustrations in the manual.

Advice or mocking welcome, photo attached.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 48
ADS

thepote

I've only seen where the latch strap and it's connecting strap go around the side of the seat and into the belt path, not into the back of the seat. Does it give the strap any more give if you do it that way?

Starfire

Sorry, I think maybe the picture and my voice of words were confusing. I am threading the LATCH strap and the connecting strap through the belt path, but it's as if the connecting strap is attached to the LATCH strap too far along, toward the center of the LATCH strap, to allow me to get it tightened.

Does that make any sense? I drew a picture - see where the connecting strap attaches to the LATCH strap, that side can't get far enough into the belt path of the seat because distance from the screw to the juncture is shorter than the distance from the LATCH connector to the juncture.

image-2798497954.jpg

Attachments

• image-2531395287.jpg
    image-2531395287.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 27

jacqui276

I'm sure a tech will correct me if I am wrong, but the strap is just there so that you don't lose the latch strap and is safe to cut off if it is in the way/impacting the install. It is not meant to be removed, but can be.

amyd

I'm a tech and while I cannot advise you in any official capacity to take scissors to any part of a carseat;), I can tell you that's what I'd do. There are a few seats that sometimes have this issue.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How is the connector strap attached to the LATCH strap? Is it sewn on, does it have a loop the LATCH strap goes through, etc.?

I'm having a hard time picturing the problem, but that's not your fault :p

Generally, yes, the connector strap is just there to keep the LATCH strap from getting lost. It's probably fine to cut it, but I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer just in case.

Starfire

It is sewn on. Would it be better to try removing/loosening the screw that holds it to the seat, or is that worse than cutting it? (I'm not sure if that screw attaches to anything else).

Starfire

Thank you all for the input. I ended up cutting the attachment strap and got a good install. Not the most solid fit ever, but there is well under an inch of movement at the belt. I'm going to have my husband give it another yank before we use it again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC