Kiddos okay w/o booster?

diaperjoys

This is an '03 Odyssey, third row. Are either of these boys okay without a booster? Here are the stats:

Kiddo #1, 10 years, 10 months, 70 pounds.
Kiddo #2, 9 years, 9 months, 66 pounds.

2c2s6Zxl.jpg

oeghHhXl.jpg

In addition to Kiddo #1, and Kiddo# 2, above, we also have the following:

Kiddo #3, 8 yo. Literider
Kiddo #4, 6.5 yo. Wiggly, harnessed in Nautilus, occasional booster.
Kiddo #5, ?? we're awaiting foster placement any day, probably in the 0-1yo age range. If tiny will use a Keyfit 30, if a little bigger will rearface in a RA55.

We're trying to get a three across in the third row with Kiddo's #1, #2, and #3. Three Literiders is just not a viable solution - buckling the middle seat is insanely difficult.

ADS

veggiegirl228

IMO the lap part is too high. They are very close though.

For the a 3 across have you tried the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Car-Booster-Seat/dp/B003GQ0LQ8"]BubbleBum[/ame]? You can find them at Walmart, amazon, and Target (online)

The [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Incognito-Positioning-Black/dp/B00FLXBHIU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1397429485&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=incongito"]Safety 1st Incongito[/ame] might work as well

The 5 step test

Last edited:

henrietta

I agree that kid number 1 is probably okay in that seating location. I also think kid number 2 still needs a booster, and I'd try either a Cosco Top Side or a Safety First Incognito. Either will fit him well.

FWIW, I was really surprised that the Top Side was so different in how it fit in the spot I need it in vs. the Harmony Lite Rider we already have. I think it may work in many places where even the Lite Rider won't work or won't work easily.

hths

I think kid #1 is borderline, kid #2 definitely needs a booster for at least another year. If you get an Incognito for kid #2, I'd probably get one for kid #1 as well (they're very inexpensive) just to improve the fit that much more. He'd probably be more comfortable with the shoulder belt centered a little more, and he could use the Incognito in other seating positions as well, even after he stops using it in the back row. Just my :twocents:

Cute little dudes, by the way!

henrietta

I think kid #1 is borderline, kid #2 definitely needs a booster for at least another year. If you get an Incognito for kid #2, I'd probably get one for kid #1 as well (they're very inexpensive) just to improve the fit that much more. He'd probably be more comfortable with the shoulder belt centered a little more, and he could use the Incognito in other seating positions as well, even after he stops using it in the back row. Just my :twocents:

Cute little dudes, by the way!

Good points! I agree that the fit would be even better for Kid 1 with the Incognito, plus it would work in other seating positions where he does NOT have a good seat belt fit w/o a booster. BTW, do kid 1's feet touch the floor? Just from the way he's seated, I think we all assumed they do, but we didn't exactly ask you. ;)

diaperjoys

Yes, kiddo #1's (bare) feet are solidly on the floor. Kiddo #2 doesn't touch when he's bare foot, but it is really close - with sneakers on I think they would be on the floor.

diaperjoys

Since it looks like the three kiddos would all do best in boosters, I'm playing with booster configuration. My first try is to put our harmony cruz in the center, with a literider on either side. Somehow, even thought the cruz is our biggest booster, they puzzle and gain a couple inches. If that takes care of the problem, fine. If not, I'm off to purchase an Incognito.

Thank you for all the help!

Yes, kiddo #1's (bare) feet are solidly on the floor. Kiddo #2 doesn't touch when he's bare foot, but it is really close - with sneakers on I think they would be on the floor.
You'd want his feet to be totally flat on the floor, comfortably. Like, when he sits in the seat his feet should immediately be resting comfortably on the floor, he shouldn't have to scootch forward at all.

hgpswimmer4

I think kid #1 looks good without it. Second child is borderline. The feet don't need to completely touch the floor but the knees should be bent without scooting forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC