Keyfit question

obnurse19

I have a new baby due in August (my third!). I still have our Graco Snugride from our first born. It does not expire until Sept 09. All of my kids have been very heavy, and I move them to a convertable Britax at around 4-6 months.

I am debating about getting a new infant bucket though, but don't know if I can justify the expense when the poor thing will probably only be in it for a short time. I am worried about using the snugride that had no EPS foam and is on the older side.

Another downside is that I have 3 bases to my Snugride (grandmas, daddy's and my cars!). I saw the price of the extra kefit bases and almost died! Also, I have a Graco Duoglider, does the Keyfit fit in stroller?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How about a Graco Safeseat 1? It can be found for much cheaper than the Key Fit, it won't fit in the SR bases, but it will fit in the DuoGlider, and it's fits kids typically 6 months or more longer than the Key Fit, because the height limit is so much taller (my dd fit in hers till 33 inches and 24 pounds at 20 months old... it was a lifesaver for me as she didn't walk till 15 months, it was winter, and I was always trekking around with the other kids and she needed a safe place to sit as long as possible). You can see my dd in a variety of seats in the link in my signature. Even with heavy babies, that 30 pound limit is good for about a year. It can also be installed without the base.

:)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, cross posted. Yes, the official limit on the SS1 is 32 inches and 30 pounds... 30 inches and 30 pounds on the Key Fit 30.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member

Yes, you will still need to buy new bases (remind you though, it can be installed without) but they are $10 cheaper than the Keyfit bases.

obnurse19

Thanks, I didn't really think of the SS1. Technically neither child had actually outgrown the Snugride, it was my preference. THey were just so heavy to carry, it was hell on my arms.

does the SS1 have lockoffs on the base like the Keyfit? That would be a big help in DH car, as we use a lap/shoulder belt.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, the SS1 has a fantastic lockoff :) (did you have a stroller you could snap the seat onto? I couldn't carry my kid in my seat either without one of those :eek:)

obnurse19

Yes I have a stroller, but it was more a matter of dragging the seat in and out of the car/house/store etc.

I love new seats, and if it were my decision only, I would be getting a new one. I have to give DH a better argument then 'I just want a new one" LOL. Especially when we have 3 bases for the Snugride.

We just recently purchased a new Radian and Nautilus for the 4 and 2 year old. He is still recovering from that! (wait till I tell him I want two Frontiers for my van!)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I hear ya on new seats... I won't be the one to try to talk you out of any new seat (or stroller! I'm just as bad with those!)

:D

crunchierthanthou

Technically neither child had actually outgrown the Snugride, it was my preference. THey were just so heavy to carry, it was hell on my arms.

If it was that difficult for you to carry them before they reached the 20 lb limit on the older SnugRides, then it doesn't make any sense to buy an expensive seat with a higher weight limit to only use a few months. I'd save my money (and dh's good will) and buy a great convertible for when you're done with the infant seat. :)

obnurse19

Ah, the voice of reason LOL! My Dh would love you! I just looked up my DS weight, and he was 16lb 10oz at 4 months. That was about all I was willing to carry in the seat.

Unfortnuatly I don't have anything totally exciting to get after the Snugride. We already have a Scenera for his car. In mine I am hoping for two Frontier's (or Nautilus's if I am not impressed with the Britax version) for the older two, and pass down a cowmoo Marathon to the newbie. (and throw out a Marathon that will expire shortly after that.) Now THAT is going to hurt me, throwing out a britax!

crunchierthanthou

Well, if it's justification you're looking for... you can still use the SS1 or Keyfit after you're done carrying the baby. Just treat it like a convertible and leave it in the car, yet still have the convenience of taking it inside if you don't want to wake the little one.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
yea, you don't HAVE to carry the whole seat in and out of the car. Just treat it as a convertible and leave it in the base and unbuckle the child....and only take the seat out if the baby is sleeping ;)

If you don't like your current SnugRide (lack of EPS foam, and I'm guessing it has a clumsy rear adjuster) you can just buy a new SnugRide with the EPS foam and a front adjuster :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC