Keyfit 30 or tribute/scenera for upcoming trip?

SweetPotato

I was planning on buying a lightweight convertible for travel (ds is about to turn one), but it just occurred to me that we could bring his bucket instead (he still fits easily) Planning on bringing a cheap umbrella stroller to strap the seat to through the airport, and then need to be able to easily install on planes and multiple rental cars. I've never installed the kryfit without the base-- is it easy and safe? Also, I suspect that a scenera may be lighter than the kf? What would you folks recommend?

ADS

jgomez411

I was planning on buying a lightweight convertible for travel (ds is about to turn one), but it just occurred to me that we could bring his bucket instead (he still fits easily) Planning on bringing a cheap umbrella stroller to strap the seat to through the airport, and then need to be able to easily install on planes and multiple rental cars. I've never installed the kryfit without the base-- is it easy and safe? Also, I suspect that a scenera may be lighter than the kf? What would you folks recommend?

I would take the bucket if he still fits. The Scenera is lightweight but difficult to install rearfacing and I never had problems installing the key fit baseless.

meljc

We traveled with the Keyfit in December and the onSide Air (scenara twin) in January.

Take the Keyfit.

Even without the base, Keyfit installs in a car in ~3 minutes (but you can practice at home first). I fought a rental car and two receiving blankets for 30 minutes to install the onSide Air. You can do the Keyfit airplane install in your sleep. The Keyfit is also easier to get through the airport (either upside down on the fully-extended stroller canopy or carried by the handle).

How big is your baby? My DS is on the smaller side and we actually had a Combi Coccoro on order before our December trip but it did not arrive in time. I really wish I had bought that instead of the onSide Air/Scenara :(

oliviacw

If he still fits, by all means take the Keyfit. It's really easy to install without the base, and you can even install it with him already strapped in to it. It's so much easier to just carry him onto the plane already bucked in, than trying to juggle a loose toddler and a seat install.

SweetPotato

Great- thanks! (One less thing I have to worry about getting!). Is an umbrella the way to go for transporting it through the airport? We never got the travel system stroller or snap n go, and usually strapped convertibles to rolling carry ons when our dd was little. Will a little umbrella be strong/sturdy enough?

jjordan

Great- thanks! (One less thing I have to worry about getting!). Is an umbrella the way to go for transporting it through the airport? We never got the travel system stroller or snap n go, and usually strapped convertibles to rolling carry ons when our dd was little. Will a little umbrella be strong/sturdy enough?

I've used our umbrella stroller (Zooper Twist) to transport HUGE convertible car seats, along with diaper bags, carry-ons, etc. I'd guess that you'll be fine. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC