Keeping RF kids cool, 100+ degrees

TXmom2

I have a 3 yr old (Z) & 14 month old (MJ), RF in our '09 Pilot.

We are in Texas and the heat is only getting worse....
Hubby is pressuring me to turn the oldest (& youngest for that matter), but I REALLY do not want to (won't even consider it for the youngest). What can I do to help keep them cooler? MJ, the youngest, is always hot, sweaty & red faced after a drive. Z is hot as well but not quite as bad because she is in the middle and seems to benefit the most from the rear console A/C.

I have strapped a small foam bladded fan to the passenger handle that blows a slight breeze toward MJ (which seems to help a little and although slighty concerning for me as far as safety is better than turning her FF) AND We have the vents aimed up & to the sides as much as possible to deflect the air to the rear, what else can we do?

ADS

Brianna

Tint your windows. Put ice packs or coolers in the seats before you leave (remove before putting kiddo in). Blast the AC with your windows down for a few minutes before you get in the car. You're already pointing the vents up- so other than that, just make sure they have a nice cool drink. Sometimes I'll crack my rear windows if I know I won't be in the car long enough for the AC to get it very cold.

The summer I had no AC and a RF'er was hard, but I (and the kiddo!) made it through it, and he's still rear facing.

aeormsby

Window shield things for when your parked and ice packs in the seats (my sister did this last summer when she was still living in Vegas, I think she took a cooler with for while they were driving).

The summer I didn't have AC in my car I would open opposite/diagonal windows for the max air movement without crazy windy (although I only had 1 kiddo at that time and she was RF back passenger side so I would open the front passenger & rear drivers side windows).

I would consider turning a 3yo for heat, especially if it meant you could move the younger RF to the better spot for air flow (sounds like the center spot).

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Yes, tint your windows! I'm test driving a car right now that doesn't have tinted windows and it makes a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. I've lived in either Phoenix or Las Vegas all my life and I've always had tinted windows. Aside from test cars, I refuse to drive cars without tinted windows. It makes that much of a difference. If you can't permanently tint your windows, buy the window clings at BRU.

Cover your windshield whenever you're not in the car and park in the garage. If sun can get in the car, it will heat it up like an oven (think solar oven). In college, when I parked outside at work, I'd cover my car with a car cover and always got into a cool car at the end of the day.

Use ice packs. I've got a Cold Seat that I bought for my dog for when we travel, but I use it on really hot days too for myself since I have leather. Make sure to remove the ice packs from the carseats before putting the kids in!

Let the kids hold their icy sippy cups.

TXmom2

Thanks for the feedback so far :) Our windows are tinted but I think I will add shades on the back side windows and a shade on front windshiled when parked.

My "3" yr old is actually turning 3 on July 7th and she is just 28lbs.

I am not opposed to turning her if it will allow for both girls to get better airflow but am hoping I can make it work with both RF as long as possible

Beckers

This might sound odd, but it helps, I swear!

open one door, then walk around to the other side and open and close another door (needs to be a hinged door, not a sliding door ;) ) 4 or 5 times. It will force some of the super heated air out of the car. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC