Keep Snugride 32 or get new seat?

meredithk

I am looking for some advice. When my son was born 4 years ago, I purchased the Graco Snugride 32. And boy, did I hate that seat! My son was tiny and it was still so heavy feeling. I ended up leaving the seat in the car and just taking my son out.

I am due in a month with my second and am trying to figure out if I should just use the snugride again or buy a new infant seat. I can see the appeal of the infant seat with having another child so I anticipate taking it out of the car this time.

Would a lighter sear really be easier, or are all infant seats just uncomfortable and heavy to lug around?

Any advice would be appreciated and if you have any light car seat recommendations, I'll take them!

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
All infant seats are a pain to lug around. I think leaving the seat in the car and wearing or holding baby is better than leaving them in the seat all day ;) I do understand the convenience of not waking a sleeping babe though!

If you really hate the seat and you're in the position that you can afford a new seat, I say go for it! To be honest, I'd get a new seat, just because I get bored!
My niece and nephew have been in more car seats than I can count!

I'm madly in love with the Chicco Keyfit 30 if you're looking for quality and ease of use. (it is a heavy seat,though)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
There is one that supposed to be quite light but I can't recall which as we don't have it in Canada so I don't have any experience with it. It might be the Aton? If so, if get a new one just because I've always wanted the Aton. Ha ha.

meredithk

I know, part of me would just love to get a new sear for the fun of it, but I know I'll be mad at myself if I buy another one and hate it, too! I was looking at the Chico key fit and love all it offers, just wonder if it's going to be just as heavy. I better look up the weight again.

Snow mom

There are a few infant seats that are a pound or two lighter but honestly I don't think it will make you happier lugging around the seat. A 15 lb infant in a 8 pound carrier is 23 awkward pounds. In a 11 lb carrier it's 26 awkward pounds. Neither is fun. I wouldn't spend money on a keyfit if the weight is your only complaint. A better investment would be a stroller adapter or frame if you want to be able to bring the seat out for quick errands. My poor DS gets lugged around much more than DD did because we are always going somewhere for DD.

Gidgetc13

We used a Snugride 32 with my first two. That thing is a beast. I would have loved to get an Aton for baby#3, but there was no way DH was going to let me spend that kind of money on another car seat! My mom ended up getting us a SnugRide 30. We can use it on the extra bases we have for the SnugRide 32 and I find it so much easier to carry around than the SnugRide 32 was. It is lighter and just not as bulky. This baby is heavier than my other two were also. The only complaint I have is the straps. They are much more twisty than the ones on the SnugRide 32. I only want the infant seat to get us through the winter and then I'm looking forward to switching him to a convertible and baby wearing.

meredithk

We used a Snugride 32 with my first two. That thing is a beast. I would have loved to get an Aton for baby#3, but there was no way DH was going to let me spend that kind of money on another car seat! My mom ended up getting us a SnugRide 30. We can use it on the extra bases we have for the SnugRide 32 and I find it so much easier to carry around than the SnugRide 32 was. It is lighter and just not as bulky. This baby is heavier than my other two were also. The only complaint I have is the straps. They are much more twisty than the ones on the SnugRide 32. I only want the infant seat to get us through the winter and then I'm looking forward to switching him to a convertible and baby wearing.

That's a great idea about getting the 30. I keep on thinking what a waste it would be since we have the two bases for the snugride 32 already. Good warning about the straps, though. That's annoying!

mom of six

The new Graco Click Connect is supposed to weigh only 7.5 lbs. It seems a bit narrower than the SnugRide 32.

With all Graco's brilliance in naming this new seat is called the Graco SnugRide 35 Click Connect. It also comes in an LX model which has a no rethread harness and moveable head wings.

meredithk

Why does Graco have to make their names so confusing?!

The new Graco Click Connect is supposed to weigh only 7.5 lbs. It seems a bit narrower than the SnugRide 32.

With all Graco's brilliance in naming this new seat is called the Graco SnugRide 35 Click Connect. It also comes in an LX model which has a no rethread harness and moveable head wings.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We have an Aton 2 and carrying our ~17 lb baby in it is getting to be an exercise in exhaustion. But I know folks who pick ours up and comment on how light it is -- so it must make a difference in some way to have a lighter one. I agree with others, though -- it's going to be awkward and heavy no matter what.

I wouldn't trade an infant seat for the world, though. We are moving my daughter to a convertible soon and I think it's about to get even more awkward to try to carry her along with bags, boxes, etc. At least right now I can carry her with one hand (and a hip) and it's okay if the screen door rests against her carrier while I unlock the door. Not so with her head! :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC