Question Just test drove a 2011 Honda Pilot...

PunkyMonkey

I :love:d it... I currently drive an Acura TL sedan and its smooth and a really nice sporty ride and I love it however one stroller, one car seat and one diaper bag and DH and I and we barely have room for groceries... we were thinking of taking a road trip to visit inlaws up north and I just don't see us fitting all of our stuff in there! When I got into this pilot it felt like I was driving a car... it didn't feel like a huge truck it was smooth and so many features I am such a nerd I'd be reading the manual for a month! :D

Some times I am hanging with my sister & niece and we want to go to the park together or something we have to take 2 cars because we'd never fit in one!

Does anyone here have this particular model 2009 - 2012 Honda Pilot that has any pros/cons for me?? My biggest concern was car seat fittage.. I've seen several posts on carseat chat about the last body style.. 2003 - 2008 version but not any specifically on this new model which I looked at a few older ones and it seemed MUCH different.

Thanks in adv for any input, I'm pretty excited if all goes well I'll probably get one within the next month. I just want to scope out a few other options. The idea of a heftier car payment is scary to me and I just want to be 100% sure! I look at it as 8 passengers, very little mileage, certified, warranty and I will drive this thing 'til the wheels fall off so I need to LOVEEE it :)

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Even in my previous body style, carseats are great unless you're trying to do "fancy" stuff. Two or three, even, in the second row is great. I really do like my Pilot.

I know some around here have the newe body style, hopefully they can help you out :)

lovemybabybug

My friend has a 2009-2010, cant remember, and we often car pool with her. I have DONE Evenflo Symphony, MA70, MR65 and scenera and never had one issue. We had MA 70 ff, symphony ff and MR rf across second row, they fit like a glove. Scenera rf in the 3rd row, easy peasy. The fact that the second row slides back and forth gives you so much room to play with, and the second row has 3 sets of LATCH. Dual Dvd screens, built in GPS and a freaking camera for when you back up. I lOVE that car! I told my husband that if we ever upgrade to an SUV/ van, that's the car I would get.

canadiangie

I have an 09 EXL. Love it so much I don't even have words. :eek:

Car seats are a breeze, a million configuration options because there are 6 tether anchors. 4 sets of latch total, a 60/40 split in both rows, the 2nd row can slide forward, the 2nd row is so wide I can fit just about any 3 across under the sun. Today I had 7 ppl in mine, and I actually ended up in the 3rd row beside my oldest dd and I could have sat there for hours.

Yes it does drive like a car -- smooth, yet it's rugged and fun. Gas mileage I have no clue on because I just don't care. It's the vehicle I need to haul my brood for the next ten years, an so things like fuel economy just aren't a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't trade my Pilot for anything. Truly love it. :)

PunkyMonkey

Wow, thank you for these comments... you all have made me feel even more :love: about it. When I saw that there were tethers for all the rear seats I got SOOO excited haha!!! I knew you guys would understand that... the guy at the dealership was like "uh.. yep. its got the latch things" :rolleyes:

I test drove an EX-L and that's what I can afford used but if I get a brand new one it will have to be an EX. I'll have to look at exactly what features I'd be losing because I really liked the back up camera in the rear-view mirror and all the compartments and this one didn't have a DVD player but that's OK I am sure I can get the dealership to put one in for me if I find one I love that doesn't have it.

I am not buying the one I drove and fell in partial love with today because I didn't entirely care for the color. It's called "grey" but it definitely looks green and I am not big on that. I love black and white... I could do silver but I prefer black or white :) So I have several dealerships looking out for when they get an '11 in with less than 20k miles in B or W and then I will make my move! The more options I can cram into my budget the better.

thanks again and if anyone else has anymore info keep it coming please :) car buying is a huge commitment for me haha!! I need reassurance that I am not crazy for loving this car!

canadiangie

Going down to an EX means you'll lose the leather interior. That matters to some people, and not others.

I really wanted an EXL with RES (rear entertainment system), but the price jumps way up, and availability way down. Ultimately I gave up on RES. I read that having a DVD system installed aftermarket isn't super easy in a Pilot, and so I didn't even consider going that route. Instead I bought an ipad holder and attached it to the front centre console. Its low and level with their knees, so I'm not worried about it being dangerous in a collision. I leave the holder there all the time, and just drop the iPad in as needed. Works brilliantly. Cost $39, rather than $3000.

I have white. I wanted either white or black, just like you. :)

MySillyKids

Don't ever get Honda black. They can't ever match it after an accident. :rolleyes: we had a 2000 prelude type sh ( I miss the crap outta that car!!) in black, and we had a freak accident in it. A piece of spinning concrete smacked into the side of it while driving down the freeway. We took it to the best body shop, and the paint didn't match at all.

We've had tons of Hondas, and in every color down to yellow, (yes, we have a yellow s2000 in the garage) and black has been the worst.

HaileysMommy

MySillyKids said:
Don't ever get Honda black. They can't ever match it after an accident. :rolleyes: we had a 2000 prelude type sh ( I miss the crap outta that car!!) in black, and we had a freak accident in it. A piece of spinning concrete smacked into the side of it while driving down the freeway. We took it to the best body shop, and the paint didn't match at all.

We've had tons of Hondas, and in every color down to yellow, (yes, we have a yellow s2000 in the garage) and black has been the worst.

It's hard to match any color really. Paint fades over time so when they go to reapply the same color its actually not really the same color anymore. Matching paint is a tricky business!

MySillyKids

It's hard to match any color really. Paint fades over time so when they go to reapply the same color its actually not really the same color anymore. Matching paint is a tricky business!

I had their Civic Si in that electric blue pearl color and they were able to match THAT just fine (it was hit in a school parking lot (hit and run :rolleyes:))

Heck even my Silver odyssey right now, that's just fine too. Same with my mom's blue CR-V. lol.

steph

I love my Pilot! The only thing I don't like is that the center install can be tricky but I have a 2007 and it doesn't have LATCH in the center. Other than that its great! I love that it feels more like a car than a truck when you drive it. I can fit our family (inlcuding dog) comfortably and we still have room!

MySillyKids said:

That's odd. Maybe it was your body shop? My black 2000 civic was side swiped while parked back in the day and it got fixed and you can't tell at all.

Sent from my Atrix using Car-Seat.Org

rxmommy

Black is SO hard to keep clean!! My black Odyssey always looks dirty, even if it's not much at all. :rolleyes:

DH has a silver pickup ("pewter" he says it is :rolleyes: lol) and it hides dirt much better. And it's very frequently dirty if it's driven to work - 10+ miles of gravel and a red (scoria) road.

Black looks classy when it's clean....but man, it's work to keep it that way. Combine that with the tan interior that's also really good at looking dirty.

PunkyMonkey

Yeah my Acura is black/black and I know all the woes of water spots, dust and every little nick showing up on but man do cars look so nice in black when they're shiny and clean :D here in FL it gets really hot too but I think no matter what color your car is its just plain hot here lol.

White is my top choice BUT I am leaning towards silver now to because most of the barely used silver ones I come across have black interior and I know silver hides a lot of dirt. Not my favorite color at all but if it keeps it looking cleaner and my nerves at ease over it I could deal with silver. White is so nice to me but they all have light tan int. Ideal would be white with black leather but I just never see that anywhere! I'd prob have to order it new and I can't see spending THAT much extra over color preference. =/

Thank you again for all the feedback/advice... I can't wait to go look at some more this week :)

steph

I went with silver over white because I did not want tan interior. It gets dirty too fast. I have silver with dark grey interior. I don't mind the silver but I like black better.

Sent from my Atrix using Car-Seat.Org

sweetsound

We have a 2011! I absolutely adore it :love: (and believe me, I never thought I'd say that about a car)!!

We have a large family. Though we only have 3 kids, I often find myself with many more in my vehicle. Right now I have a Britax Blvd, and a coccoro in the second row (both rear facing). They are next to each other so the passenger side seat can move up and down to let my oldest 2 into the third row. A recaro prosport and recaro vivo live there. My sister can sit in between those 2 in the third row (she is a size 2 so it would have to be a small person that fits between 2 carseats back there). At our best we've had four adults and 4 carseats in it, with everyone comfortable.

I also frequently have 3 across (rear facing) in the second row when I pick up another mom for bible study. She has the radian rxt.

I recommend making sure you get the crossbars so you can have a thule or something similar. My one complaint right now is that the only seat that doesn't have latch is the driver's side third row seat. I just don't understand why they would stop there! My 7yr old is in a booster and sits in that seat, and it would be nice to be able to latch his booster in. Other than that, I have no complaints! Love love love this car!!!

oh, and we have it in silver... though it wasn't my first choice (I'm a black or white kind of gal), I'm glad we got it. It really hides dirt well.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
http://carseatblog.com/14535/2012-honda-pilot-review-kids-carseats-safety/

The main issue you may have is with a wider carseat or booster in the "40" section of the third row. The buckle stalk is rigid and narrow. For example, a Frontier 85 will only install with the short belt path there. Kids won't be able to buckle themselves at all if the booster overhangs the buckle. Otherwise, it's among the better midsize SUVs in terms of space and child safety seat fitment.

PunkyMonkey

Well, looks I am getting a 2012 this afternoon... the Honda stealership closest to my house made me an offer I couldn't refuse. A brand new one for $4k more than a used one with 25k miles and 1.9 interest rate vs. 4.9 for used!! I will post a pic when I get home later! :D

Darren thank you so much for that link... that was an awesome review!

I got the Ex-L in the Dark Cherry Pearl because the only 3 that came with all black leather interior are the Silver, Grey and the Dark Cherry Pearl (unless you drop the big $$ for Touring model) and the Silver and Grey are SO popular around here so I opted for the Dark Cherry which I've been calling "Cherry Coke" lol :) I did not get the RES because it was almost $2k more! I'd rather buy 4 iPads and headrest holder's for that much!! They couldn't give me a better deal on the RES because they didn't have any with it in stock and would have had to work a deal with a different dealership and it would have still been at least the price of 3 iPads + waiting and potentially messing up my awesome deal. Also they are taking my car & my motorcycle (eep. yes) as trade-ins and I am coming out on top of what I owe on both of those big time!!!

I am heading there as soon as I get DD from school to get my forever Mom mobile! I am so nervous but can't WAIT to install DDs seat hahaha (nerd!)

Thank you everyone for everything, I am very grateful! :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC