Question Just got rear ended-Canada

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Just got rear ended

I hope everyone is ok!

What carseat was it? That will make a difference. Also, did your airbags go off, was the door nearest the carseat damaged, were you able to drive your car away, and does the carseat look ok?

And then out of curiosity, was it installed rear or forward facing, and with LATCH or the seatbelt? Depending on how serious the crash was, you may want to get either the lower anchors or the seatbelt checked to make sure they're ok. Same with your seatbelt.

Wendy

erynn

No damage to van, airbags didnt go off

18 month old was in the van, rear facing at the time. She seems okay but we're waiting to get checked out

My neck is killing me, and my chronic back pain is pretty high, worse than before the accident

Rear facing, latch, Eddie Bauer 3in1 seat
Middle seat, middle row of mini van

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

The AOE (3 in 1) has to be replaced no matter what. So yes, you need a new seat. Also, you're both getting checked for injuries, so I'd replace any seat.

What van do you drive? Does it allow for LATCH in that position?

The other person's insurance will be replacing your seat. Do you have something to use n the meantime? If not, let us know a budget and we'll help you get something that can be picked up before you're released from the hospital.

Wendy

erynn

No we have nothing else
I thought it was latch installed but my husband, who's the one who takes it in and out says nope, seatbelt is the only rear facing option
98 Nissan quest

Super limited budget, husband's been out of work since august, I closed my business in July. I want to get something that can keep her rear facing as long as possible. The one we have now is
Also really long and only fits in the
Middle seat, are there ones that are better for that?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At her age she doesn't need a newborn angle, so yes, just about anything will fit.

A 98 Quest doesn't have LATCH. As a Canadian you'll have a top tether for later when forward facing is required.

I don't know Canadian options, so I hope a Canadian tech will chime in.

Wendy

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
Glad everyone is ok.

What Province are you in?

The only convertible you will find under $100 is the Scenera. I believe its at Walmart for $50-60 right now.

selinajean

I hope that your back pain eases up soon!

Do you shop at Zellers by any chance and have HBC points saved up? The True Fit and Complete Air were on sale there last week for $99 (and they honour the sale price for 2 weeks after) I don't know your daughter's weight and seated height but those would both be great options to look at for the majority of 18 month olds, and will last her longer than the seat she was in before. If you have those HBC points you can trade them in at the service desk for some gift cards to help alleviate the cost, which will just be temporary b/c insurance will cover it for you. You may also be able to tell the insurance adjuster that you need payment up front for the seat as you can't afford to pay for it out of pocket. Some people seem to have luck with that, it probably just depends on who you talk to and how good their coffee was that morning. ;)

chay

How much does your DD weigh? Where are her shoulders in relation to harness slots on her old seat? (ie she's just above the 2nd from the bottom or something like that). That will give us an idea if she's likely to outgrow a seat RF by weight or height first.

The insurance from whoever hit you should give you money to replace your seat. If they give you a hassle you can use phrases like "can I get it in writing that you're telling me to go against the owners manual that clearly states it must be replaced after a collision". I've heard that helps ;)

Seats to consider depending on stats
- MyRide - currently $196 at Walmart but showing out of stock on line
- Complete Air - currently on sale at Canadian Tire for $140 (I haven't been keeping up with their stance on being level with the line - maybe someone can expand on that for you so you'll know if you can install it more upright, if not it will take up a similar amount of space to your old seat)
- TrueFit - sometimes goes on sale at Zellers for around $150 I think - hopefully someone will know if it is (or if not where else to look)
- Radians/Diono (too expensive but listing anyways)

Of the above the MyRide has the shortest shell so if she has a tall torso it won't last as long at the others. The TrueFit only RF to 35lbs so it would be outgrown first by weight (edited - originally I incorrectly said height) RF compared to the others. The Complete Air also has a lower FF weight limit than the others if that could be a factor later on.

Hopefully that isn't more confusing than helpful, post back with more questions if you have any.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How much does your DD weigh? Where are her shoulders in relation to harness slots on her old seat? (ie she's just above the 2nd from the bottom or something like that). That will give us an idea if she's likely to outgrow a seat RF by weight or height first.

The insurance from whoever hit you should give you money to replace your seat. If they give you a hassle you can use phrases like "can I get it in writing that you're telling me to go against the owners manual that clearly states it must be replaced after a collision". I've heard that helps ;)

Seats to consider depending on stats
- MyRide - currently $196 at Walmart but showing out of stock on line
- Complete Air - currently on sale at Canadian Tire for $140 (I haven't been keeping up with their stance on being level with the line - maybe someone can expand on that for you so you'll know if you can install it more upright, if not it will take up a similar amount of space to your old seat)
- TrueFit - sometimes goes on sale at Zellers for around $150 I think - hopefully someone will know if it is (or if not where else to look)
- Radians/Diono (too expensive but listing anyways)

Of the above the MyRide has the shortest shell so if she has a tall torso it won't last as long at the others. The TrueFit only RF to 35lbs so it would be outgrown first by height RF compared to the others. The Complete Air also has a lower FF weight limit than the others if that could be a factor later on.

I think that you meant by weight? I don't think I've ever heard of an under 35lb child outgrowing the TF rear-facing by height. ;)

True Fits have been on sale for around $99 recently. Toys R Us doesn't have any stock, but zellers may.

Wendy - Transport Canada recommends replacement after any collision no matter the brand and until the newest generation of Britax seats, every manufacturer also said to replace after any collision even when they had different guidelines in the US.

tam_shops

So sorry you were in an accident. I've been hit a few times, always hurts worst the next day(s) and then the more you move (depending on your docs orders) the faster you feel better. Sure hope you feel better soon!

Hopefully. But it largely depends on which province she is in. In my province, it's typical for them NOT to replace the seat no matter who is at fault.

Wow, I did not know that!

I'm in BC, ICBC should replace the seat, you just need to submit the bills, there is some debate about if you need your original bill (for the AOE), but don't bring it up and hope for the best, otherwise there is always credit card recovery. Sometimes you need to get a bit more aggressive and request they put it in writing that the seat is safe, they won't do it...

There have been some great clearance sales here, so phone ahead ask what they have in stock.

tam

erynn

So we can't see the adjustor until Thursday
The phone adjustor said without a receipt the max they'll cover for the seat is up to 135
But then friends of mine have said in the past year they've had no problem getting reimbursed without recipt
1 got told to just go out and buy a comparable seat and she got all her money
The other went in with her new receipt and they gave her the $369 no questions

I want to replace hers right away I just don't feel ok having her in the car in the old one
But I'm also worried it'll end up causing problems with the claim if I just go out and buy one and I'm really stressed and confused. The headache doesn't help with clear thinking or decision making either

tam_shops

Erynn, so sorry that this is causing you extra stress. I've been there more than once...

I've dealt w/ ICBC a few times in the past you have a few options:
Replace seat, hand over the old seat and give them the bill and hope for the best. You could even play dumb and claim you handed the bill (meaning old and new) over w/ the seat and you don't know what happened to it after that, things get passed around...

Find the bill:
If you do not have it and check your box(s)/books/drawers where you keep them
-Phone the store(s) you think you bought it from.
-Ask friends w/ similar seats if you can *borrow* their* bill and fax that in.
-If you know when you bought it, you can get the credit car company to pull the credit card bills from that period and they'll send it to you. Then, you can take that to the store and they may be able to print something better off, or you can just submit that to them.

Phone around and find one of the Truefits that are on clearance at Zellers. Less than $135 and it has higher RF weight and/or harness slots.

Get a Scenera which RF to 40# and is on sale at Walmart for ~$60. It is not as *fancy* as your seat but has comparable harness slots @14"

Check the clearance seats (call so it's less work) that your Walmart/Zelleers/TRU has and ask here which is the best option.

Last, would be a FF only option, Evenflo Maestro $120 at TRU., which you can order online AND swap it w/ a friend not using the RF option on the seat s/he has, then swap back when you FF your own LO. Would only work if you have a good friend you trust...

Hope that helps! So sorry for your added stress. I've been here MORE than once!

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC