Is this seat going to be safe?

Mrs_R

Hello everyone. We recently got a second car, and it came with a hand-me-down car seat (came from my mom, she said she bought it at a garage sale). I know that a garage sale seat isn't a good idea at all, so I went to Target and purchased a booster that also has a 5 point harness (this one).

My son is 3 years old, weighs about 40 pounds and is about 40" tall. I plan on using it with the 5 point harness only, since I know he is much too young for a booster seat. Is that seat going to be safe for him?

ADS

krasota

No, that booster's harness is outgrown at 40lbs, so it's already outgrown for your son. If you give a budget, someone can chime in with potential seats.

CMeMeC

No, that booster's harness is outgrown at 40lbs, so it's already outgrown for your son. If you give a budget, someone can chime in with potential seats.

It also has low harness slots, so a lot of kids would outgrow by height before 40lbs.

Dillipop

I spent about $40 on that seat, I'd like to stay in that price range if possible.

The next cheapest seats that go over 40 lbs with a harness are the evenflo maestro (50 lbs) and the safety first guide 65 (65 lbs). I think they both can be found on sale in the $60-80 range. There isn't anything under that price range that will harness over 40 lbs.

Mrs_R

The next cheapest seats that go over 40 lbs with a harness are the evenflo maestro (50 lbs) and the safety first guide 65 (65 lbs). I think they both can be found on sale in the $60-80 range. There isn't anything under that price range that will harness over 40 lbs.

Ok great, thanks so much! I'm SO glad I asked here before I started driving around with him in it.

CMeMeC

Hello everyone. We recently got a second car, and it came with a hand-me-down car seat (came from my mom, she said she bought it at a garage sale). I know that a garage sale seat isn't a good idea at all, so I went to Target and purchased a booster that also has a 5 point harness (this one).

My son is 3 years old, weighs about 40 pounds and is about 40" tall. I plan on using it with the 5 point harness only, since I know he is much too young for a booster seat. Is that seat going to be safe for him?

Kohls has an evenflo sureride for around $60 right now if you have a kohls card and use a 30 percent off code and free shipping code. It's a convertible seat, but does have high harness slots and a 65 lb max.

CMeMeC

Nice, I'll get the Kohl's card from my husband. Where would I find the discount code?

You can Google it, but I am pretty sure SHOWERS30 and MVCMARCH will get you 30 percent off and free shipping with no minimum. I just placed an order earlier today for some kids clothes.

Mrs_R

Don't be sorry, you didn't know. I need it by Monday so ordering online isn't really going to work for me anyway.

I went ahead and got this one. That's a good choice, yes?

henrietta

Don't be sorry, you didn't know. I need it by Monday so ordering online isn't really going to work for me anyway.

I went ahead and got this one. That's a good choice, yes?

As long as his shoulders are even with or under the top harness slots, this seat is safe for him. ;) But if he's close to those top slots or within an inch, it's not going to last him past a few months or a year. Ideally, he'll ride in a harnessed seat till he's 5 or 6 years old. You don't mention how tall he is?

The Evenflo SureRide (also called the Titan 65..Titan Deluxe...one of those two) has the tallest top harness slot and goes to 65 lbs, for under $100. The Evenflo Maestro can usually be found for $70-80, but it only goes to 50 lbs in the harness...so it may only last him a year.

Mrs_R

He's under 40" for height. I'm not too worried about him outgrowing it height wise. I'm 5'4 and my husband is 5'8, so I don't see him getting too tall.

CMeMeC

He's under 40" for height. I'm not too worried about him outgrowing it height wise. I'm 5'4 and my husband is 5'8, so I don't see him getting too tall.

My kid is really short too, but he is all torso so he will outgrow his stuff by height. You just want to be sure his shoulders are below the top harness slot or he can not use the seat regardless of his overall height or weight.

Mrs_R

Nothing in any stores within 50 miles of my zip code. :(

I'm going to have him sit in the Guide 65 tomorrow and see how far he is from the top slot.

Mrs_R

Here he is in the Safety 1st, the red line is the top harness slot.

NzeNPZV.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture in front of the picture window, it's hard to get him to sit in a car seat when he knows we're not going anywhere, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC