Is this seat expired?

V

VanIsleMommy

Someone is selling this on a swap group and she can't find the expiry anywhere on the seat. On Dorel's website I didn't see this seat fabric anywhere on the website, so I'm guessing it's expired. Can anyone help her out?

Last edited:
ADS

mam521

The expiration should be stamped on the shell somewhere...it will say "Do Not Use Past XX MONTH 20XX". On my old AOE its by the bend of the shell on the outside where baby's bum would go.

It could be that its also the little "clock" dials that are on the shell...the same kind you find on hardhats and other items of that nature. Again, outside of the shell.

mommycat

This is a Canadian seat, right?

This ad had the same seat (the ad is gone, I am linking the cached info) and described it as being a 35lbsRF/50lbsFF seat, so unless they copied and pasted incorrect info (which is admittedly quite likely :( ) the seat should be no older than Dec 2008.

ETA but yes, there should ba raised lettering moulded as part of the shell somewhere mid-back that states "do not use this restraint after xx December 20xx". The letters are typically about keyboard letter size or so? But it is just raised, black on black.

LittlePeanut

Check my posts of a similar seat on what to look for:

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1769312&postcount=49
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1769488&postcount=52

If you look near the pic with the dial in the first link (dial reads Dec '99), there is an "N" and an "01" stamped near it too which accurately reflects the assembly date of Nov 2001, which is what they used for the DOM. The DOM was actually found on the harness straps by the splitter plate on the back of the seat (on a little tag).

LittlePeanut

My personal opinion is that if the sticker with DOM and model number has been removed, she should not be selling the seat...no matter what the expiry date is.

ITA - Missing stickers is one of the reason seats expire. Is she (or the person who buys it) comfortable with a "best guess" on the DOM/expiry? I certainly wouldn't be.

selinajean

ITA - Missing stickers is one of the reason seats expire. Is she (or the person who buys it) comfortable with a "best guess" on the DOM/expiry? I certainly wouldn't be.

I'm also concerned that without the DOM and model number, the buyer can't register the seat and be aware of recalls. This is a pretty big issue.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would bet that she's just not finding the sticker. Some seats have had stickers fall off, but as of yet I haven't heard of any cosco/dorel seats having the stickers fall off.

I'm pretty sure the seat isn't expired. I think it's only a 30/40lb seat, but I don't think it's expired. It might however be recalled, so she really needs to find the sticker with the model # and DOM. That era of seat should have it on the very top of the back of the shell and she may need to pull the cover back to find it depending on how far down the cover goes. I saw one of the seats with that cover a number of months ago and I know it still had a few years left on it. I don't remember if it was recalled or not anymore.

V

VanIsleMommy

I emailed a photo of the seat to Dorel asking if they can help out in any way, chances are someone will buy it even if it is expired so I'm hoping I can at least make sure it's not recalled or expired and have the ad removed if it is.

I personally would never buy a used seat, I did have a bad experience buying a used britax. the DOM was on the seat but no expiry, and she lied/was wrong about the expiry date.

snowbird25ca

I emailed a photo of the seat to Dorel asking if they can help out in any way, chances are someone will buy it even if it is expired so I'm hoping I can at least make sure it's not recalled or expired and have the ad removed if it is.

I personally would never buy a used seat, I did have a bad experience buying a used britax. the DOM was on the seat but no expiry, and she lied/was wrong about the expiry date.

Britax didn't used to put expiry dates right on the seat - they had the expiry listed in their manual. Expiry dates aren't required by standards, and some manufacturers put them on the same sticker as the manufacture date, while others have it raised in the shell. Others only reference it in the manual itself in the front warnings section. (I'm actually not sure off the top of my head if current Britax seats actually have an expiry right on the seat or not - for some reason I'm thinking that it's still only listed in the manual.)

Jessica61624

snowbird25ca said:
Britax didn't used to put expiry dates right on the seat - they had the expiry listed in their manual. Expiry dates aren't required by standards, and some manufacturers put them on the same sticker as the manufacture date, while others have it raised in the shell. Others only reference it in the manual itself in the front warnings section. (I'm actually not sure off the top of my head if current Britax seats actually have an expiry right on the seat or not - for some reason I'm thinking that it's still only listed in the manual.)

My frontier clearly states the dom and Exp date.

nevaehsmommy

Unless the chest clip has been changed that is a newer seat. It has the little picture on it about having the chest clip at chest level. (sorry not sure how to describe it)

snowbird25ca

Unless the chest clip has been changed that is a newer seat. It has the little picture on it about having the chest clip at chest level. (sorry not sure how to describe it)

I know exactly what you're referring to but I don't see the picture on the chest clip. I know this style has been in use for at least 4 years but don't know when the little diagram was added to the circle in the center. (Note that this is the Canadian forum, so it's possible there was a different phase in up here as well.)

V

VanIsleMommy

the rep from dorel says that there is a stamp somewhere on the seat that looks like a clock showing the DOM. Hopefully she can at least find that. Someone posted they had a similar seat that was manufactured january 2010 so I don't think it's expired at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC