Question Is the buckle flipping trick allowed with the Coccoro?

urchin_grey

I've heard of some people flipping the crotch buckle on their seat to keep a younger child from unbuckling. Is this possible/allowed with the Coccoro? The child is 10 months old so I don't think simple discipline will work in this situation. ;)

ADS

skipspin

You'd have to call Combi and ask

However, have you tried it with the CCO? I can try tomorrow, but I'm not sure it will work flipped.

I'd suggest trying a sock over the buckle or prickly velcro first. That must be one strong 10 month old. My 7 year old can open it, but it's not really easy. My 20 month old has never opened it. Maybe it's just because he knows his sister will rat him out. :p

urchin_grey

You'd have to call Combi and ask

However, have you tried it with the CCO? I can try tomorrow, but I'm not sure it will work flipped.

I'd suggest trying a sock over the buckle or prickly velcro first. That must be one strong 10 month old. My 7 year old can open it, but it's not really easy. My 20 month old has never opened it. Maybe it's just because he knows his sister will rat him out. :p

I haven't tried it. Its my sister's and she's 10 hours away. I suggested doing the coat trick with one of his fleece hoodies too. Its cold there anyway so she's going to try that first because he's also undoing the chest clip. If that doesn't work I guess one of us will have to call them.

And yeah. They should have named him Clark.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've heard of some people flipping the crotch buckle on their seat to keep a younger child from unbuckling. Is this possible/allowed with the Coccoro? The child is 10 months old so I don't think simple discipline will work in this situation. ;)

I'm thinking no for a couple reasons.

1. I went out and tried it just now. Flipped upside down, it won't buckle. I suppose you could swap out the tongues to go on the opposite-side harness straps to get around that issue though.

2. Since the tongues go into the BACK of the buckle rather than the top, I worry about having that extra room between the kid and the buckle. It's not a huge amount of space, but I think it would make the harness lie funny and I'd wonder about getting it tight enough.

3. I think I had one other reason, but I forget what.

4. Another minor reason is that the red/green indicator to show that the thing is buckled would be hidden, though it's pretty darn obvious even without the indicator.

Are they sure they don't have a defective buckle? I can't imagine a 10-month-old being able to pop that open.

urchin_grey

Ah, yeah, I was thinking it might not work because its a pretty bulky buckle. I honestly haven't even seen one in person yet though, so I wasn't sure.

I'll ask her to check out the buckle before he rides in it again (she has it installed in her friend's car right now). He's unbuckling the chest clip as well though, so apparently he's got some super human motor skills going on.

urchin_grey

Yeah my jaw about hit the keyboard when she told me he unbuckled himself. :eek:

He hasn't unbuckled his Radian (his main seat) yet though so that's good news. This chest clip is bigger and you kind of have to get your hand around that type of buckle to push the button in, so its probably just a matter of his hands getting bigger. LOL At the rate he's growing though, that shouldn't be too long.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC