Question Is Radian GTX safe to use RF if you don't have a seat byte?

U

Unregistered

Good Morning,

3 weeks ago we bought a Radian GTX for our 11 month old as she has grown too tall for her infant seat. When we bought it the sales rep at the store indicated that the fact that my car has a solid back seat (2005 Subaru Outback with no seat byte where the RF attachment can tuck underneath) was not a problem. But almost immediately I found that as I was tightening the straps with a child in the seat - that the seat tilted every time because the attachment isn't tucked under. I emailed Diono support - but they have not responded even with several emails. Is it safe for her to be in this seat if I have to keep readjusting the angle?

I am also asking because we have to replace her seat. I was in an accident the other day (she was not in the car) but there is enough damage to warrant replacing her seat. So, if the Radian is not the best option for this car - I would like to know as we need to go buy a new one tomorrow.

In terms of other options - we are Canada, and she is going to be a tall little girl. I am 6'0" and dad is 6'7". Thanks so much in advance - I have already learned a ton from reading the great responses to other questions on this site!

ADS

YinzerMama

I would love to put our radian in the center seat of our odyssey but the bight is in a weird spot and the seat just will not install properly. I have read of people putting it there and being happy with it - you can get a technically good install where it won't move in the belt path - but the whole thing is so tippy and unstable that I am not comfortable with it. That little foot thing is brilliant for most cars but a handicap if you don't have a bight - I wish they had an alternative foot for cars it doesn't work with.

Brianna

Hi there! I did some digging around and found this thread- it shows a seat similar to what your Outback has, where there is a seat bight but it is high up. Diono is okay with this provided you can get an acceptable installation with the "toes" in the high seat bight http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=247150 An angle adjuster would make the seat more upright and possibly give you a tighter installation. I would want a technician familiar with Radians to double check that in your vehicle though, as it's possible the angle adjuster would just be masking an otherwise unacceptable installation. Here's a listing of technicians in Canada, is there somebody near you? http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=67767

cstep11

I can get it installed in the center of my odyssey and it's tight everywhere. I've used latch and I've used the seatbelt with a locking clip. I use the angle adjuster too. I have seen people break the toes of the boot by pushing on that rigid piece where the bight should be.

tiggercat

Diono has indicated that it is fine to have the toes in either the turn of the vehicle seat, or in the bight, so long as the nose is pressed firmly into the back of the vehicle seat.
It sounds like your install may just need some tightening up. Where in Canada are you located?

http://canadiancarseatnetwork.com/find-a-tech/

The above link can help you find a local technician who may be able to help.

cstep11

The nose, is that the lower (where their butt sits) front edge of the radian that goes up against the seat when the feet would normally be going into the bight?

cstep11

Diono told me that the .5-1" of space between the nose and the back of the seat was ok as long as I got a good install. It wasn't a rep. She had to call me back after asking someone who knew for sure. Of course that space closes up once the AA is under it.

Idk if anything is different in Canada as far as what they told me

tiggercat

Diono told me that the .5-1" of space between the nose and the back of the seat was ok as long as I got a good install. It wasn't a rep. She had to call me back after asking someone who knew for sure. Of course that space closes up once the AA is under it.

Idk if anything is different in Canada as far as what they told me

Do you know who they talked to? Diono has always been pretty consistent about the nose being in contact witg the vehicle seat.

cstep11

I was called back and the rep told me that the engineer she spoke to said that small space was ok as long as it didn't move. Having the aa closes it though. I think I have a pic of the space, before and after aa. I've spoke to Alana (sp?) as well but I believe that was regarding the rf tether to the seat in was on.

YinzerMama

"Guest" - what did you end up deciding?? There are some other nice tall seats that could work for you. Is the NextFit available in Canada?

tiggercat

"Guest" - what did you end up deciding?? There are some other nice tall seats that could work for you. Is the NextFit available in Canada?

The nextfit is not available up here, and many of our seats have lower numerical height limits than their American counterparts.

Last edited:

YinzerMama

There is a video clip with putting the radian in the center ody seat - I was trying to find it the other day and failed. Finally found it. This is the exact situation I have when I try to put the seat in my car. It is correct at the belt path but I just don't like how the seat feels otherwise. I feel better having this seat outboard in my car; if every spot in the car had a weird bight like this I would probably go with a different seat. That is a bummer no NextFit up there.

http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2490045&postcount=2

cstep11

That is some awkward movement on that. Mine doesn't do that at all. I actually got a really nice install using the seatbelt and a locking clip.

cstep11

Fabric, but even on fabric (since it's so tight) it can be slippery. If I had leather I would prob do the seatbelt install with locking clip as tight as I could and then add the AA under it. You're supposed to add the AA and then tighten it up but with a slippery seat like this it works.

YinzerMama

I have leather and wonder if that affects it. It could be the squish of the seat in addition to the different texture of the cover, who knows.

I can't remember if I tried it in the middle with the AA.

I need to take my car in for an oil change soon, I wonder if the dealer would let me play around with seeing if the fabric seat makes a difference for the install? :)

cstep11

Really odd thing I discovered recently was that my R120 w/AA sits up significantly higher than the RXT in the same position. I thought it might've been because I used a new AA (the old AA with the RXT had some compression dents in them). I installed the RXT with a new AA too though. When DD sits in the seat it of course goes down a tad, but I found it odd.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC