Is it possible to install a TA yourself?

rjaeh

We called Dodge about getting a retrofit TA installed in our 03 Caravan.
The part is $78, but installation was $200...
Just wondering how difficult it is to install and if the part comes w/ instructions. Also, about the safety aspects of doing it ourselves...

We called 2 other dealerships that said they thought around $50 to install, but weren't sure b/c they had never done it and weren't even sure what it was.

The first dealership had done it before and seemed quite confident in what they were doing, so we might just go w/ them anyway.

ADS

MamaErin

It is definitely possible with a torque wrench and I sure wouldn't pay $200 for the dealer to do it. I am curious though, doesn't the 2003 already have TA's?? I believe I heard that if your vehicle already comes factory equipped with anchors, you aren't allowed to add more....Hopefully someone else will have more info on that for you to be sure but I believe a 2003 should already have a couple anchors.

ETA: According to this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=127966 you should already have some anchors, it looks like 2 in the middle and 1 in the center 3rd row.

whiteyacht

I'm sure it depends on the region, but $200 sounds like highway robbery to me. It took our dealership all of 10 minutes to install two tether anchors. They'd never been asked to do it, either, but the anchors didn't fail when our van was in an accident, so I assume the installation instructions were easy for them to follow!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

rjaeh

It is definitely possible with a torque wrench and I sure wouldn't pay $200 for the dealer to do it. I am curious though, doesn't the 2003 already have TA's?? I believe I heard that if your vehicle already comes factory equipped with anchors, you aren't allowed to add more....Hopefully someone else will have more info on that for you to be sure but I believe a 2003 should already have a couple anchors.

ETA: According to this thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=127966 you should already have some anchors, it looks like 2 in the middle and 1 in the center 3rd row.

Yes, I have 3 TA, but we have 4 kids (w/ another due in a little over a week) and are having trouble getting them all in the van, an extra tether could give us some better options for the 3rd row.
I asked here, and was told we could have an extra added.

Our friend has a torque wrench, so we have one available...

rjaeh

I'm sure it depends on the region, but $200 sounds like highway robbery to me. It took our dealership all of 10 minutes to install two tether anchors. They'd never been asked to do it, either, but the anchors didn't fail when our van was in an accident, so I assume the installation instructions were easy for them to follow!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

I was thinking so too..they said something about it taking 2-3 hours and I told them I was pretty sure it was just a matter of screwing it on...I will call a couple more dealerships today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC