Is a NON-FAA approved CS considered a carry-on?

Splash

Uh, a little late in the game to ask... but I just found out I can fit everything I need into a small enough duffel to use it as a carry-on, therefore eliminating the $39 each way checked bag fee, and freeing myself up some time.

So, I will have the duffel, my carry-on bag (which might count as a personal item, seeing as how it is more of a briefcase), A SG GO inside its case (non-FAA approved, but taking it on the plane), and I had planned on one other, smaller bag. I can probably make Charlie carry the other bag as his "personal" item (I think I can make it small enough to be a backpack for him), so then that leaves me three other bags.

Will his car seat count as anything? And is it carry-on or personal item? Regardless of what it is we should still make out okay, I just want to know before i get there.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it counts as a carryon. Though it may depend on the airline policy. Some don't count a CR as a carryon even if you don't/can't use it; some don't let you bring it on if you don't use it (wouldn't apply to a GO obviously); and some count it whether you use it or not. (Not usually within the US.)

daniele_ut

I think you will have to gate check it. If I'm doing the math I think you have too many items for 2 passengers to bring on the plane. Gate checking has never cost me anything and it always takes us so long to get off the plane that my stroller has always been waiting for me on the jetway.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Our Go also counted as carry on when we flew with it in 2007. The Go's bag was roomy enough to hold additional items beyond the Go - it doubled as our diaper and snack bag for the airport and plane.

canadianmom2three

We fly spirit and carried on 2 carseats (this was a while ago, they have since raised their luggage fees even higher, so maybe the carryon rules have changed as well) At the time, it did not count towards our carryon limit (picture a family of 5 trying to do the very same thing you are describing - we had each of the kids loaded with a carryon and a personal item, plus the Radian and backless booster) We had planned to use the Radian for DS, but (LONG story) couldn't and I refused to gate check it. I carried it on along with my carryon and my personal bag. DH carried on DD's backless booster along with his carryon and personal bag. Let me just say, it was a $$ savings for sure, but a logistical nightmare especially going thru security, and then again, trying to walk down the airplane aisle. I think it will be easier for you with just Charlie, but it was a disaster with the 3 kids (and DH which is kind of like a larger child at times;)). GOOD Luck!!!

achs74

Uh, a little late in the game to ask... but I just found out I can fit everything I need into a small enough duffel to use it as a carry-on, therefore eliminating the $39 each way checked bag fee, and freeing myself up some time.

So, I will have the duffel, my carry-on bag (which might count as a personal item, seeing as how it is more of a briefcase), A SG GO inside its case (non-FAA approved, but taking it on the plane), and I had planned on one other, smaller bag. I can probably make Charlie carry the other bag as his "personal" item (I think I can make it small enough to be a backpack for him), so then that leaves me three other bags.

Will his car seat count as anything? And is it carry-on or personal item? Regardless of what it is we should still make out okay, I just want to know before i get there.

No, I believe the carseat is considered an extra item that you are allowed to take "free" when traveling with a small child. I believe strollers (gate checked) and carseats to carryon the plane are exempt from the carry on #. I'm not sure about the Non-FAA approved issue. Is it a booster seat? If it's a booster seat, you may have a problem if it requires a shoulder belt. However, I have seen people carry on backless boosters with no problem. We carry our CS in a backpack carrier and I assume it is FAA approved, but I've never checked and we've never had a problem.

Good luck!

Pixels

It probably depends on the carrier. I was just thoroughly examining JetBlue's policies for a flight I'm about to take. They clearly state, on multiple pages of their website, that carseats are "adaptive equipment" same as a wheelchair, walker, or crutches; that carseats and adaptive equipment do not count as your carryon (or as checked baggage, either way they don't count toward your limit); that there is no limit to the number of pieces of adaptive equipment/carseats that you can carry on. But they do also state that any items carried onboard, including carseats/adaptive equipment, must fit the dimensions for carry on items.

They never said anything about whether it would be occupied or not. The only thing that was said about FAA approval was that a carseat would have to have it in order to be used during takeoff, landing, and taxiing. Nothing about the carseat having to have FAA approval in order to be exempt from the carryon limit.

You probably don't have to make Charlie actually carry his own carry-on. They usually just accept that the parent will be helping their child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC