Question Is a Backless Booster safe?

Savie

DD is close to turning 9. She's approximately 72 lbs, seated bottom to shoulders is height 19.5 inches, total height is 55 inches (4.58 ft).
I recently moved her out of a Frontier 85 (belt positioning mode) because it was pushing her shoulders forward, causing her to slump, and she was very crowded and uncomfortable. I have not been able to find a belt-positioning booster with a higher seating height, so I've moved her to a Graco Affix. She sits up straight, with minor shifting/moving, and in general is backless booster ready. Her feet actually rest on the floor without a booster at all, but I still worry...

My concern is this - I recently read an article saying that Britax has declared backless boosters unsafe, and that I should return her to a HBB. Of course I haven't seen anything on Britax's website or FB page on this.
Now I can force her back into that Frontier and eek out a few more months - but it is really worth it? Was that article all hype?

She currently rides in the Affix on the passenger side in the back seat (window seat) of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Ram 1500, and a Chrystler 300 (as well as whatever the ex drives, but that's a Graco Nautilus, backless mode). Should I move her to center? Honestly the only vehicle that's really possible is in the Jeep...

Or am I worrying for nothing? I'm sorry for the rambling! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A booster may provide additional benefits but its most basic function is to position the belt. As long as it is doing that, a booster will provide very good protection in a crash.

I allowed my oldest two to use backless boosters before they technically outgrew the high back seats they were in for comfort reasons and I don't regret it.

(There is the important caveat that if a child in a booster doesn't have head support from the vehicle to the top of the ears, they need a high back that allows such use.)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Such as a headrest in the vehicle its self?

I'm confused as to your meaning here..

Yes. Everyone -- adults included -- who is not in a carseat or HBB should have their heads supported by a vehicle seat back or vehicle headrest at least up to the tops of their ears. In some cases, even some child seats require vehicular head support in addition to the support of the car seat back.

In many modern cars, this is not much of an issue. However some still do not have adequate head support in all seating positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In a car from the 90s to early 00s, for instance, a center spot might have a shoulder belt but a low back. A backless booster wouldn't be a good choice there for most kids as they would not have necessary support to their head and neck. A high back that doesn't require vehicle support (some do) would be appropriate there, or a backless could be used in the outboard position if the side seats had higher backs or adjustable headrests.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC