Insurance replacing our carseats, which ones to buy?

AutumnMama

We had DD (7) in a Graco Turbobooster, DS1 (5) in a Radian 65, and DS2(3) in a Safety 1st Intera.
The kids weren't in the car at the time of the accident, but the insurance co wants to replace the seats since the airbags went off.

It's been a few years since I did carseat research so I thought I'd ask here, you all know your car safety stuff fairly thoroughly :thumbsup:

The car is totaled, but I'm not sure what we're going to be replacing it with (just started a post on *that* a few minutes ago ;)), other than it will be a used minivan.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

AutumnMama

I'll get those measurements as soon as I can find my tape. We were house/nephew-sitting for almost 3 weeks and just got home...everything is chaos at the moment :D

AutumnMama

Ok, found it.

DD's stats:
Height - 49"
Torso - 18"
Weight - 56 lbs

DS1's stats:

Height - 45.5"
Torso - 16.5"
Weight - 50lbs

DS2's stats:

Height - 37.5
Torso - 15"
Weight - 32 lbs

Last edited:

abacus2

I'm not sure on the booster as I'm not completely excited about the Turbo, Parkway, and Vivo that I have. But for the others, I would choose two Radians and a MyRide. The narrowness of the Radians is so nice with lots of seats, but I'm really impressed with the MyRide and think it is a nicer RFing seat.

Katy

You might want to check what thier limits are first. When my friend had her seats replaced the insurance company said she had to get one at a similar value/features to the ones crashed. She tried getting a trading her under $100 carseat in for one above $200. Also they wouldn't let her trade her infant for a convertible.

I'm sure all insurance companies have differnt policies. Hopefully you can get the seats that you need.

AutumnMama

Yeah, she said to try and get similar car seats to what we had, but she said there was no price limit.
I'm definitely not going to test that all the way by trying to get a way more expensive seat though :)

DS2 is fairly petite, he's FF now, but he's only about 27 lbs, so I could turn him back RF if we had the room.
It looks like the Nautilus is only only FF?

steph_s

I would get the new Parkway SG for the oldest (I have one and it's FAR superior to the TB which I HATE with a passion). No girly covers out yet, but it's a nice seat with SIP but not huge wings like the original pkwy which I really didn't like and it didn't fit my small child well at all. Plus it extends much taller than the tb and positions the belt better.

For the other 2 I would get 2 Radians and flip your ds 2 back around rear facing. The pkwy sg isn't horribly wide (wider than the turbo though) but the Radian's are narrow so you should be able to do 3 across easily and rf the youngest again.

By the time ds1 gets out of the Radian your dd will likely only need a no back booster and then you can put ds2 in the parkway and only need to buy a backless for the oldest which are super cheap. I think I saw something on here about a Radian and pkwy sg deal going on now so you should be able to get it for fairly cheap.

Or, get 2 pkwy sg boosters and a Radian for the youngest. Your ds1 is old enough and big enough for a booster and my small 5yo fits REALLY nicely in the pkwy sg! I never thought I would feel comfortable with him in a seatbelt but I do with this seat!

Kat_Momof3

Ok, found it.

DD's stats:
Height - 49"
Torso - 18"
Weight - 56 lbs
Since she's 7, I'd say a Sunshine Kids' Monterey or Recaro Vivo Booster would do well for her.. nice and tall... it'll just depend which one fits her better for width (they go taller than the turbobooster)
DS1's stats:

Height - 45.5"
Torso - 16.5"
Weight - 50lbs
if you want to keep him harnessed, I'd get the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier (they also turn into boosters down the road, with the frontier being a better booster and the Nautilus lasting a bit longer in the harness)

If you're ready to move him to a booster, I'd get the Recaro Vivo (on sale at albeebaby.com), Turbobooster, or SK Monterey (again, depending on which fits him best for width)

DS2's stats:
Height - 37.5
Torso - 15"
Weight - 32 lbs

what I'd do is get the Graco Myride if you want to put him rearfacing again... till 40lbs... or the Radian XTSL... till 45lbs (unless he outgrows them by height first, but I doubt it in the Radian)

Now if you want him ff, I'd get the Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus.

AutumnMama

JUST FYI for anybody who might look at this for reference, I got the MyRide and had to return it. DS (3 y/o and 32 lbs) has already outgrown it by height. :rolleyes:
I ended up putting him in the seat I had originally gotten for DS1 - the Graco Nautilus.

Going to order the big kids' seats today...still not sure what I'm going to get.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC