Installion issues with Radian RXT

MaddieMae

I just tried installing my Radian for the first time and man did I struggle! I have been using the Chicco Nextfit in my car but my husband brought DD to daycare and I needed to pick her up. I sure appreciate the easy installation the Chicco has now!!

Right away I managed to get the latch strap twisted inside the metal part (pic attached) and I can't seem to straighten it. So I had to do a seatbelt install which was ok but not great. I had to use the angle adjuster which really sets the seat up higher...doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the low profile? That's one reason I bought the seat.

My next problem is I can't get the harness to tighten enough. My husband and I both have tried and got it as tight as it goes and there is too much slack - can easily pinch it. Anyone have suggestions? This seat can fit a newborn so I know they go tighter. My husband told me to send the seat back but I want to try a few things first so please send suggestions if you're an experienced Radian installer :). Thanks!!

image-3819158676.jpg

ADS

featherhead

For tightening the harness the Radian has a ratcheting adjuster. This means you cannot pull all the slack out at once. You have to tug several times. It will feel like nothing is happening, but it is :). Make sure you pull the slack out of the hips first. It is also helpful sometimes to pull on the straps at the back of the seat.

Cnidaria

Indeed, on the Radians you tighten the harness with pull-pull-pull-pull-pull rather than puuullllllllllllllllllllll.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by the angle adjuster defeating the low-profile nature of the seat. I think of low-profile as meaning that the sides of the seat are low, relative to the sitting surface. Do you have the angle adjuster under just the front of the seat, or under the rear-facing boot as well? (It should be just under the front of the seat to make it more upright.) Would you post a picture of your angle adjuster?

MaddieMae

Indeed, on the Radians you tighten the harness with pull-pull-pull-pull-pull rather than puuullllllllllllllllllllll.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by the angle adjuster defeating the low-profile nature of the seat. I think of low-profile as meaning that the sides of the seat are low, relative to the sitting surface. Do you have the angle adjuster under just the front of the seat, or under the rear-facing boot as well? (It should be just under the front of the seat to make it more upright.) Would you post a picture of your angle adjuster?

I don't have it installed anymore - might try again this weekend. Angle adjuster was not installed under the boot, just up to it like the directions say :)

Rebekah

We had the same harness tightening issues when we first bought our daughter's RXT. I think the straps were in the second set of slots. Once we could move her up to the third set, it worked easily. They do sell shorter replacement straps which might help. They are only $7.99 and are 5 inches shorter than the standard straps.

As for the installation issues, I haven't had any issues with the angle adjuster really changing the profile of the seat. I have a small sedan, so if anything, sitting up slightly higher makes it easier to get her in. When installing with the seat belt in my car, I have to twist the buckle stalk to make it work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC