Installing my Britax MA in an 08 Honda Odyssey

raychie33

Hi.I just go a Honda Odyssey. What is the best place to install my RF car Britax MA? For today, I put her in the second row on the side. I prefer the center seat but I am not sure she can be put there. Does anyone have more info?

ADS

Gsanmb

On the jump seat (optional 8th seat) I don't think it'll work, although I could be wrong.

However you could take that out and slide the passenger side captain's chair over toward the center (making it more of a bench seat configuration) and install it there.

I have had great installs in every position in the car, except I haven't tried the jump seat or middle of the back seat. Every outboard position has worked. I did move my captain's chair over for safety and convenience; we rarely need the jump seat.

raychie33

I want her in the center for safety reasons, yet I want her in the second row so I can take care of her when I am sitting in the front. Are you saying that I can slide the seat behind the front passenger to the center if I remove the center somehow??? That would be amazing. But how can I remove the center-there is a console under the seat. I got the car last night so I havent really played around with it. Please tell me that I can do that!!!

lovinwaves

However you could take that out and slide the passenger side captain's chair over toward the center (making it more of a bench seat configuration) and install it there.

:yeahthat:

Your child is going to be in the safest position if you remove that 8th seat and slide the Passenger side captains chair over. That way they are positioned in the middle of the vehicle.

I also like this position because it makes a great place to have your child stand to remove their coat, shoes, etc.. before putting them in the seat.

Also I prefer the passenger side or the middle position because if the front drivers seat were to collapse in the event of a crash your child would be out of the way.

This article will show you where to tether your seat rear-facing if you choose to do so :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9902

lovinwaves

I want her in the center for safety reasons, yet I want her in the second row so I can take care of her when I am sitting in the front. Are you saying that I can slide the seat behind the front passenger to the center if I remove the center somehow??? That would be amazing. But how can I remove the center-there is a console under the seat. I got the car last night so I havent really played around with it. Please tell me that I can do that!!!

Oooo naughty naughty girl, you should read your manual LOL! I'm kidding. :p

Ok, let me tell you. That Odyssey has tons of hidden features I never would have known about if I hadn't read the manual word for word.

I'm not sure how your console will be removed. Is it a Touring? My Odyssey is just a seat and there is a handle you pull to lift the seat up and out. It is a bit awkward. I then believe you have to remove a plastic piece on the sliding track.

Good luck! I am just not sure if Honda changed that 8th seat in the newer models. :eek:

raychie33

It think its the EXL. Does that makes sense?? I know its not the touring. I think I will tell my hubby to bring up the manual for me to read when he comes home now.;)
Why is she not safe in the second row center? the third row is soooo far from the front-the van is huge. I am so not used to it. We just switched from a honda accord so I feel like I am driving in a truck!!

Gsanmb

Yup, I have the EXL. You can take out the center second row seat (it usually stows in the floor, but I think you have to remove it from the car altogether to do this) and slide the captain's chair over.

RTM (read the manual!) :thumbsup:

We :love: our Ody.

lovinwaves

Why is she not safe in the second row center?

Do you mean in the 8th seat? I'm not sure the Marathon will install well in that seat. She will be raised up further in the air (harder to put her in), and there is no Latch to use, so you must use seatbelt(not unsafe, but might be a tad more difficult).

If you remove the 8th seat and slide over the passenger captains chair then she will be in the center.

Gsanmb

Yeah, also the 8th seat seatbelt comes down from the ceiling. It is not as easy to use in general. In an infant seat install, it works okay, but I haven't seen it with a big convertible like the MA.

raychie33

Thanks loads for your input. I moved over the second row passenger seat to the center and installed the carseat there. I used the latch system but it doesnt seem to be in solidly because the belts that attach to the carseat and have the latch peices at the end(not sure what they are called)are sliding around on the metal peice that they are on. How do I tighten the latch belts that they dont slide around. Also, if I decide to keep her RF( she is 21 months) her feet have to be folded and she seems very uncomfortable. Any solutions?

lovinwaves

Thanks loads for your input. I moved over the second row passenger seat to the center and installed the carseat there. I used the latch system but it doesnt seem to be in solidly because the belts that attach to the carseat and have the latch peices at the end(not sure what they are called)are sliding around on the metal peice that they are on. How do I tighten the latch belts that they dont slide around. Also, if I decide to keep her RF( she is 21 months) her feet have to be folded and she seems very uncomfortable. Any solutions?

You will need to tighten up each Latch strap. So put some weight in the seat while you pull up on each strap. The seat shoud not move more than an inch side to side. Be sure your latch strap is not caught on the lock offs. Sometimes that happens to me. The straps should also be straight and no twisted.

The more reclined the seat is the more leg room she will have. She will be able to cross them, hang them over the side, or lay them straight out on the seat. She will probably let you know if she is uncomfortable. Most 2 year olds will fit more comfortably rear-facing because they actually have a place to lay their legs. When forward-facing they just kind of dangle, and you will see many kids try to prop them up on the seat in front of them for comfort.

Have you installed the rear-facing tether?

Here is a britax rf'ing using latch in the ody. See how it is compressing the seat? You want a good tight install.

of50590442-1.jpg

raychie33

You wrapped those belts around the metal side bars to make it fit tighter? That is where my problem is. I just want to make sure I am seeing it correctly.I tried reclining the seat but she couldnt lay her legs out.

lovinwaves

You wrapped those belts around the metal side bars to make it fit tighter? That is where my problem is. I just want to make sure I am seeing it correctly.I tried reclining the seat but she couldnt lay her legs out.

Oh I just wrapped the belt around the bar for cosmetic reasons. That has nothing to do with the install. I am a bit of a neat freak :eek:

If the seat isn't reclined enough you can either try reinstalling the seat with the base more in the seatbite(seat crack), or you can try pulling down on the rear-facing tether to get your achieved rear-facing angle. I however do not like to torque down to hard on the rear-facing strap. So if you find it's pretty tight, then try reinstalling the seat THEN tighting down the rear-facing strap.

raychie33

sorry to make you nuts but I still dont get how i keep those side belts from sliding around on the metal bars. My hubby is downstairs trying to work on it. Maybe he came up with something. I still have to analyze how to tether her either RF or FF depending on what i decide to do. I hope I still have the tether!!

raychie33

also, doesnt it make a difference at which angle the carseat is installed at or can it be installed at any angle as long as it is tight? I remember my snugride had a side window thing that showed me when the angle was good.

lovinwaves

also, doesnt it make a difference at which angle the carseat is installed at or can it be installed at any angle as long as it is tight? I remember my snugride had a side window thing that showed me when the angle was good.

Anywhere from 30-45 degrees is ok. 45 degrees would be the newborn level recline, but at 2 she can be at 30degrees if you want. Now that is going to be pretty upright, so you may like her more at 35-40.

lovinwaves

sorry to make you nuts but I still dont get how i keep those side belts from sliding around on the metal bars. My hubby is downstairs trying to work on it. Maybe he came up with something. I still have to analyze how to tether her either RF or FF depending on what i decide to do. I hope I still have the tether!!

Hmm...is the seat moving any? If the seat is installed tight enough the straps shouldn't slide at all. :confused:

Also, the tether is attached to the seat. You might be thinking of the "D-Ring" which you will need when you go to tether the seat rear-facing.

And in NO WAY are you making anyone nuts. We love helping :love:

crunchierthanthou

I've never had a problem with the latch straps sliding on the bars as long as it was sufficiently tight. :confused:

Do you have the base in recline mode? It has to be in recline mode rf- but can still be installed between 30 and 45 degrees.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
sorry to make you nuts but I still dont get how i keep those side belts from sliding around on the metal bars.

There should be a loose end on the straps... you just need to pull the loose ends (there's one on both sides... each LATCH hook is attached to the carseat separately) until they're tight. You can pull both tight at the same time.

HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC