Installing Forward first time Decathlon in Ford Explorer 2002... help

MomOfTwins

I am installing our Britax Decathlon carseats for the first time forward facing in my Ford Explorer XLT 2002. I had to remove the headrest to get the carseats to fit which was a little difficult.

Anyway... I am wondering is it more important to have the base touching the seat all the way or is it more important to have the back touching the seat? What I mean is I know when Rear facing it was important to have it level and 45 degree but are we suppose to use the same level line for the forward facing position? I know the seat needs to be fully upright but when I install the seat with the base fully touching the back seat the level line is not completely level and the back of the carseat is not fully touching the seat.

I hope this makes sense. I'll try to get some pictures in a bit.

thanks,
carol

ADS

MomOfTwins

Here are the two pictures..

the one with the carseat facing left was installed while trying to keep more of the base touching and therefore is more reclined...

the one with the carseat facing right was installed while trying to keep more of the back touching and therefore is more upright...

which is correct??

and why can't I get the "the lock-off" to rotate more than 1/2 way?? I don't want to break that part which is what it feels like if I turn it any further..

thanks,
carol

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The level line is for RF. Personally I would feel better with the 2nd install---more upright. It looks like there would be more than 1" of movement at the beltpath in the 1st pic.

**I am a "new" tech, so if someone with more experience could way in it would be helpful.

Susan

tiggercat

I also prefer the upright install. The more reclined one isn't wrong (assuming less than 1in of movement at the belt path), but a more upright installation is typically preferred with FF seats.

As for the lock off, sometimes the lockoffs are stiff if you haven't used them. Can you rotate it a full 90 degrees if the seatbelt is not in it? Also, with those lockoffs pay attention to the vehicle belt to make sure the lockoff isn't causing stretching of the fibers. I actually bypass the lockoffs and lock the vehicle belt instead, because I've found that style wears on the belts and stretches the fibers of my seatbelts. Edited to add, the lockoff may also be hard to close if the seatbelt is bunched or folded over onto itself. Make sure it is flat in the lockoff.

Are you using the top tether anchor?

MomOfTwins

Thanks for those GREAT replies... I am going to stall the seats so they are more upright when everything is tight.

Neither install had very much movement... less than 1" more like 1/2" or less...

About the lock off... I just didn't have the strength to tight it... my husband came out and turned it with NO problem.. hahahaha... and yes this was the first time using them and they rotated like the book says they are suppose to... I also use the locking of the seatbelt itself for the carseats.

The girls are going to be sooo excited to be sitting where they can see us... well the back and side of our heads.. :)

I'll recheck the install tomorrow morning.. I installed them in the dark and in temperatures around 20 degrees.... burr... took me a while to to get the headrests removed.. I now know how to remove headrests from Explorers that don't have the little button thing if anyone needs help... hahahaha

Tether strap, I would like to use that but the anchor point is not quite behind the seat... it's about 6 inches from the back of the seat on the cargo floor.. I'll have to look again.. I did a quick glance and it might actually be right under the edge of the back seat... If I do use it I probably won't be able to use the cargo cover.

Well THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your replies and information.

:)
carol

tiggercat

How old/big are the girls? Make sure the double check that the harness comes out from above their shoulders (the opposite of RFing where you want the harness below the shoulders).

It's really important to use the top tether, if available. It reduces the amount the child's head can move forward, reducing the potential for injury.

MomOfTwins

They are 19 months... Haley is about 28 lbs now and Autumn is about 31 lbs.

33 lbs is the upper limit on rear facing. I am going to weigh them tomorrow. They are both close to 33 inches if not a little taller than that.

I will definitely check out where exactly the anchor is for the tether... I know there are 4... two near the rear hatch and two behind the seats.. just don't know if it's where the manual says to have them...

Carol

Oh yea... I believe the shoulder straps are right at their shoulder level right now or just below, so that will have to be checked tomorrow as well and adjustments made, if necessary.

Last edited:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
They are still within the limits of RF....and so young. Why not leave them RF? And also---just because you turn one, doesn't mean you have to turn the other.

Susan

MomOfTwins

That is why I'm going to weigh them... Autumn feels like she is over the limit... but our scale (used for shipping) is over at the shop. If she is within a 1/2 pound we are going to switch her... and see how her sister does rear facing... unless she is within 1/2 pound as well... which I doubt.

melniemi

They might really like one ffing and one rfing - they will be able to see each other and play really well! I know because my girls are like that - but not twins. They love to look at each other and they entertain each other. It is so cute!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC