Installing a Scenera

thattery

Ok. SO we went out and got the Scenera yesterday. I REALLY want the Britax BLVD, but we need to wait until next month due to $$. So since we will need a 2nd seat for my hubby's car, we went ahead and got this for the meantime.
I think I read somewhere that it is intalled better with the seatbelt instead of the LATCH? This would explain alot because I sure had a HECK of a time getting it at the right incline, tight enough, etc with the LATCH. I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan. She sits in the middle seat, bench seat outboard. It is a shoulder, lap belt if I did use the belt. For those of you with experience, is it better with the belt? It is solid, but I am not sure about the recline. I am going to a car seat check place hopefully this week just to be sure. Oh, she is 10 mos 21lbs 27 1/2 inches.

ADS

LEAW

I've always personally preferred the seatbelt over LATCH on the Scenara... I just can't get the LATCH belt tight enough to meet my personal comfort level.

scatterbunny

Recline angle is one of those things that's a personal preference once baby is old enough and big enough to have good head control. :) A 45 degree angle is only necessary for newborns, and the older a baby gets, the more upright you can make the seat. The Scenera is a seat that naturally installs pretty darn upright. If you find your baby still needs more recline, use a section of pool noodle or a tightly rolled towel in the vehicle seat bight (crease where seatback and seat bottom meet) to raise up the bottom edge of the Scenera just a bit, tilting baby back a bit more. Also, make sure you have the recline foot popped down for rear-facing mode.

The seatbelt should work fine, you have lightweight locking latchplates, so the sliding buckle part is what will actually lock the carseat in place. The shoulderbelt will remain loose-feeling until a sudden stop or crash. If you find that your latchplate loosens over time (sometimes common with lightweight locking latchplates), flip the latchplate one time (a half twist) before buckling. This changes the latchplate angle and helps it hold tight.

Can you post a picture of your install so we can check the recline?

I finally ended up using the...oh man, what are they called??? Those "H" shaped clips that you slip on the belt. Brain OOzze....grrr. Anyways, I couldn't get a rock solid install with the belt, the seat kept tipping farther and farther as lex climbed into it, so I bit the bullet and used one of the locking clips...there we go! and now it's in there super tight!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC