Question Installing a 3rd row bench in the second row of a minivan.....

amjbmommy

Has anyone done this? We have an 02 Ford Windstar 2nd row captains chairs and 3rd row 3 seater bench (outboard lap/shoulder belts and middle seat lap belt only). Dh mentioned that the 3rd row bench can be put in the middle seating area (I did check the manual to be sure and it says you can do it) We were thinking this would solve our seating dilema with #5 on the way and wanting to have an extra seat. We've found a few different choices on Craigslist for an extra 3rd row bench seat that dh wants to go check out this weekend. The plan then would be to take out the 2 captains chairs and have 2 3rd row benches. I would then have the 4 1/2 yr old, 2 1/2 yr old and new lo in the first bench( 2 and 4yr old both in FF R65's outboard w/ latch and new lo in middle lap belt only install in his SS1) and my two older (10 and 8 1/2) in the back. Since my Ford manual says it's ok to do this I'm just wondering then if I'm compromising any safety aspects of my vehicle. Oh and the van does have 2 sliding doors and I'm not worried about the older 2 being able to slide past the first bench into the back since it will be a bit wider than if it was a smaller 2nd row bench.

ADS

Pixels

We did it a few times Way Back When, in my parents' 88 Ford Aerostar. It is fine to do safety-wise, but isn't very practical (at least not in the Aerostar). Having the 3-seater bench in the 2nd row makes it impossible to get to the 3rd row without climbing over the seat. Before you invest a lot of time and effort into it, try your (existing) 3 seater bench in the 2nd row, and see how practical it is to get to the 3rd row.

christineka

We did it with our 1997 aerostar. It was very impractical for getting to that third row bench. There is no room on the side to slide back there- the only way is to go over a bench. I solved the problem by putting the two rear-facers in the back row since they were light and easy to get over the bench. The 2 boosters and the ffing harnessed kid were in the second row. One booster kid moved to the back when we had company and needed that 6th seat. It was a pain in the butt that resulted in crying and whining.

Be sure to try out the option before investing money in an extra seat. Mine was free from a dead aerostar.

amjbmommy

yeah that's my concern with getting to the back for the older 2 but dd thinks it will be cool to climb over the bench.... thank goodness they're both leggy, lol. I will have dh try the bench in the middle before we go though.

christineka

One idea, since you have kids who don't need seats is to put those kids in the middle bench. Then when you get in/out of the van you can fold the bench forward. The dead van had both a forward fold and a backward fold seat. (Backward is for turning into a bed.) My dad convinced me to get the forward fold one so that it would be easier to get to the back. That made sense when there were no car seats in the van, but with all my car seated kiddies, I could not fold the bench at all. You could, though.

I've hopped over the back bench myself. It is fine when I'm wearing pants, not pg, and is a once in a while thing. I can imagine it getting old after a month.

Anitra

I did it back when I inherited an '88 Grand Voyager (Grand Caravan) in college. Actually, just moved the 3-across seat to the middle and didn't have a rear seat; I needed the cargo room more than the seating.

It was plenty easy to get the seat in there, but it was impossible to get around it to the back. I would definitely try it out with your existing seats before you commit.

crunchierthanthou

A poster here did that with a Windstar. The third row access doesn't even look too bad. It's definitely a more affordable option than a new vehicle and I don't there are any safety issues with it.

amjbmommy

I sucessfully installed the SS1 and 2 R65's yesterday in the 3rd row bench.... fun times when you're 40 weeks pregnant :p... and dh tried it in the middle row when he got home from work and it worked GREAT!! There's plenty of room for my older 2 to get into the back...more so on the passenger side then the driver but you can also slide the seat forward to gain even more room to the back then just slide it back. I'm SO SO happy this works as a new vehicle just isn't it the cards atm. I'm also glad to have all 3 of the younger ones able to be in the middle :thumbsup:

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I did this for our trip. Granted, I just moved the 3rd row to 2nd row position. We have lots of stuff to take home from my parents this time. So, I have 3 kids on 3 seater bench and on upfront. We would have room to get to the 3rd row in ours. It is a 1997 voyager.

Good luck with everything. Are you looking at junk yards or where for a bench?

amjbmommy

I had been looking at local junkyards with no luck so I put a Wanted in my local Craigslist and had a few people email me.... we found a lady next town over with an 02 Ford Windstar tan cloth 3rd row bench (exactly like our van) so we're going to go check it out Saturday.

amjbmommy

Just wanted to update.... we picked up the extra 3rd row bench today and it works out GREAT!! It's the same exact color and cloth design as well :thumbsup: I'll have to take some pics later..... now dh says we can go for #6..... and here I am 1 day overdue with #5 still ,lol.... silly silly man :p

daniele_ut

That's great that you made it work! For anyone else following this thread, my coworker did the same thing with a Chrysler Town and Country to fit his 6 kids in their van.

Melodiya99

That's really cool! I'd never heard of that! And that's really cute of your husband:) Sounds like mine...within hours of me having our first he was telling me how wonderful it would be to have twins next time:)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Yep, I have 2 3 seaters in my windstar. The 2 seater sits in the garage. DH love it so much, he wants another windstar, so we can use the same seats. Fun to try 2 3 across in also.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC