Infant seat for 2002 Jeep Wrangler

J

JennaT

I'm expecting a baby in April and am trying to figure out our car seat situation now. I am looking at a chicco keyfit 30 or snug ride 30 for my prius. However, my husband has a 2002 jeep wrangler that the baby will ride in occasionally and I'm unsure of whether these seats will fit in it. Does anyone have experience with this? One option i was reading about for later on is to buy a cheaper convertible seat to just keep in the wrangler, but I'm guessing any of those would be too big with an infant recline? Any help would be appreciated.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

There are a few convertibles that would fit both your baby and the car from birth. But what may be easier is just installing the infant seat baseless in the middle when you want to put the baby in there for now. Then when you do get a convertible it can sit more upright and take up less room.

Wendy

kathysr98

My DH has an 2001 Wrangler and it doesn't have a middle rear seat, just the outboard positions. We used a True Fit and an Evenflo Triumph Advance in it with the front passenger seat moved forward. We consider the Jeep a two passenger vehicle, either two adults in the front or a adult driver and a child in the back passenger position. The cool thing it is super easy to load a kid through the hatch on a Jeep!

J

JennaT12

Hi there.

There are a few convertibles that would fit both your baby and the car from birth. But what may be easier is just installing the infant seat baseless in the middle when you want to put the baby in there for now. Then when you do get a convertible it can sit more upright and take up less room.

Wendy

I am pretty sure there's no middle seat in his car - should it go baseline behind passenger seat or with base?

U

Unregistered

My DH has an 2001 Wrangler and it doesn't have a middle rear seat, just the outboard positions. We used a True Fit and an Evenflo Triumph Advance in it with the front passenger seat moved forward. We consider the Jeep a two passenger vehicle, either two adults in the front or a adult driver and a child in the back passenger position. The cool thing it is super easy to load a kid through the hatch on a Jeep!

Yes, I don't believe we have a middle seat. We actually haven't had the backseat in the jeep since we bought it because there hasn't been a need, but there's no middle belt. I'll look into those seats. We consider it two passenger as well, and there should almost never be a need for the three of us to be in it. Baby will probably only be in it when my husband has to drop off and pick up from daycare if I can't or if there's some type of emergency.

kathysr98

Yes, I don't believe we have a middle seat. We actually haven't had the backseat in the jeep since we bought it because there hasn't been a need, but there's no middle belt. I'll look into those seats. We consider it two passenger as well, and there should almost never be a need for the three of us to be in it. Baby will probably only be in it when my husband has to drop off and pick up from daycare if I can't or if there's some type of emergency.

That was our program as well. Dd rarely rode in it as a baby and only when dh took her somewhere without me when she was older. I preferred the True Fit in the Jeep since the lightweight locking latch plates were sometimes a pain and the True Fit has lockoffs so you don't have to worry about them.

T4K

I have a jeep wrangler unlimited so I can't help you with specific seats. I do want to say that I tend to pick seats with a lot of side impact protection for the Jeep since the roof and doors don't really provide safety for the occupants. Side Impact Protection isn't tested so we don't know how it really improves safety....but for the Jeep, I go with my gut and get it anyway. Deep sides and/or headwings, if you can find something compatible, may be of interest to you. Having a seat that fits your child and the space is number one priority, though. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC