Infant car seat/stroller for tall baby Is this any good?

U

Unregistered

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20139916

My DD is having a boy. Their baby will be tall, parents 5' 10" and 6' 1" She wants to order this seat and stroller combo. I realize that by the time he is one year he will have most likely out grown this seat by height. 100% baby boy is 32 in. the top height for this seat to be used at.
What do you think about this seat and stroller set up? Their funds are very limited.

What seat would he use after this?

DD is asking me to help her in finding a seat.

ADS

jacqui276

I haven't heard any reviews on that stroller, but the snugride 35 infant seat that comes with it is often fairly well liked. I would definitely recommend that she try out the stroller in the store before committing to buying it to make sure that she finds it user friendly, that it's tall enough to comfortably push, steers well, folds small enough to fit in her trunk space, etc.
Another possibility instead of buying a travel system is for her to pick out the car seat and stroller separately ensuring that they are compatible with one another. Lots of strollers fit a variety of car seats. There are also strollers like this that she could look at: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12353532 She would need to eventually get another stroller down the road but they are handy if you only plan on using the stroller with the infant seat and it may give her some more time to save for a stroller that she loves.

After her little guy outgrows the infant seat, he will need to move into a convertible car seat (one that can be rear facing and forward facing). The current recommendation is that children rear face to at least 2 years old and longer if they still fit within the rear facing limits of their seat (ideally up to age 4 if possible). Once he outgrows the convertible seat rear facing, it can be installed forward facing and used until he is big/old/mature enough for a booster seat (generally around age 5).

One recommendation I would give her when looking for an infant seat is to find one with the harness adjuster in the front (which the one you linked has). The ones with the harness adjuster in the back are often cheaper, but the adjuster in the front is much more user friendly for ensuring that the harness is adjusted correctly on the baby.

magoose

Thank you for your detailed reply. She feels pretty good about the carseat so she'll be glad to hear it is considered a better choice. When she looked at buying a seat sepperate she felt that was a more costly route. I will copy and paste your reply and send it to her. I think you made some very good points about the stroller.

What are good brands of high rear facing convertable seats that are car friendly? My youngest two (very short) years ago used Marathons but I understand that might not be a good choice for a tall baby. I would think my DD's tall baby would not be ready for a Nautilus after an infant seat because it is forward facing.

Mercuria

I would vote for the stroller frame option as well. I got a travel system before my son was born, and I seriously regret it. In fact, I'm selling the travel system in favor of something more appropriate for us.

You just don't know what their needs might be later on. Plus, then she can examine their stroller needs and not be limited to something that takes her particular car seat.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would also vote for a stroller frame with carseat, and then for a better stroller than the ones that typically come in a travel system.

The baby may surprise you with his height, by the way. My sister is just a smidge under 6'0" tall, and her husband is several inches taller, but their kids are not super-tall AT ALL. While both of their children were over 8 pounds and 21" at birth, their daughter is now only about 50% for height and weight, and their son is around the 25% (I think).

One of my friends is 6'0" and her husband is about 6'3", but all four of their children are well under the 50% for both height and weight.

My brother and SIL are both "average" height, but their children are both over the 95% for height. We have all been surprised by how VERY tall my niece is, in particular. She, at eight years of age, is taller than my shoulder (and I am 5'8", so certainly not short)!

You just never know!

You are correct that a Nautilus will not be a good choice after the infant seat. Your daughter will need a convertible to use until her child is at least three or four years old.

KaiLing

I will just add that the infant seat is optional. Perfectly fine, but optoinal. Since the next car seat the child will need is a rear facing convertible, one way to save money is to not buy an infant seat all, but look only at convertibles that fit newborns. Most Americans buy infant seats so that they can snap the seat into the stroller, take the baby in to shop without waking him, etc. But that's all for convenience: many of us have skipped the infant seat altogether, which is the less expensive option.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If they would like one seat to last from birth to kindergarten, and are expecting a tall child and are on a short budget, I would recommend the new Evenflo SureRide 65. It is listed at $100 and can often be found on sale for as little as $70.

If they want a tall but economical infant seat, the Safety 1st Onboard 35 is quite tall. It's comparable to the Snugride 35 in height, but usually costs less.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC