I'm having mixed feelings over what I did today

Chex

I was browsing our local online classifieds (kind of like Craigslist) this morning and came across a lady selling a Tiffany Parkway. I called her and she told me it was 18 months old and had never been in an accident. She said she'd take $35 for it. I've been considering getting a Parkway and selling our Vivo because I think the Parkway will work better in a 3-across in our Civic. Anyway, I asked why she was selling it and she told me she actually has 2 identical boosters and that she'll probably sell both. She said her girls just don't want to sit in them anymore. So of course, I asked her how old they are. She said they were 6 and 7.

I asked if they were both 4'9" already. She said, "I don't think so....they just don't like sitting in boosters anymore and I would love to have the room back in my car." So I asked if she knew that the law just changed here in Utah to kids under 8 years or 80 lbs needing to stay in boosters. She hadn't heard about it and asked me if I thought her girls should stay in the booster. I told her I was a carseat freak and that my very tall 6 year old is still in a 5 pt harness and that I was just getting this booster for her second carseat. And so yes, I thought her girls should for sure stay in the boosters.

She asked if I thought a cop would give them a ticket for not having their girls in the boosters if she were pulled over and I told her that I thought with the law being so new, she probably would get a ticket. But more importantly, since her girls were still too small to fit a seatbelt properly, it was just safer to keep them boostered. She said she was going to talk to her husband about it and call me back.

She called back a few minutes later and told me she was keeping them. I told her I thought she was doing the right thing.

Dang it! I really wanted that booster! But I do feel better knowing her girls are safer!

-Ann

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Good for you!!! You just never know you may have just saved those 2 girls lives.

The PW is being discontinued so you will continued to see the prices drop.

mommy2env

If you had just bought it without giving her advice, you would be filled with guilt. :p

You did the right thing, you helped keep two little girls *safe*. :)

Morganthe

The PW is being discontinued so you will continued to see the prices drop.

Or increase because availability is limited :shrug-shoulders: Who knows? ;)

Good ethical thing you did.:thumbsup: It would have eaten you up to get those seats at the expense of those little girls and their mother's ignorance of safety and the law.

Something will come along eventually for you. One of those TaDA! moments ;) :love:

mominabigtruck

I think you did the right thing:thumbsup:

When the regent was super hot I saw lots of them on cl cheap because people had bought them and couldn't figure out how to install them. They would say that it didn't fit, but really that's usually not true so I would send them an email saying that they should read the manual and try the seatbelt (yes they all thought it only worked with latch) and quite a few removed their posts.

I would've loved to snatched up a regent for $150 but I couldn't do it knowing that the parents would probably turn around and buy their kid a booster instead.

Chex

Thanks guys, for making me feel good about what I did. I am glad those girls are back in boosters. Hopefully I'll find a good deal on a Parkway soon!

-Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC