Ideas for third car seat-- extended rear facing is most important to me

Jdefazio1

I have a just turned three year old and a twenty month old plus new baby due in august. My kids are small for their age. My son is 7th percentile for height and my daughter isn't far above that. Currently we have our three year old daughter in a recaro proride and our two year old son in a Chico nextfit. They are outboard, rear facing, middle row, in a 2014 yukon XL. My plan with number three is britax chaperone in middle seat third row (if owners Manuel says that's ok).

Also we have a 2007 audi q7 that we are looking for a spare car seat for when we only have to take one child so we don't have to haul the tank;).

I'm looking for ideas for placement of the seats, the best extended rear facing seats, and if I should even get another seat because I realize down the road I'm going to have to move beyond the convertibles. I'm willing do dole out the $$ for extended rear facing and safety.

I love the easy install of the key fit. The proride is a little harder install. But by just eyeballing the key fit it doesn't look like my 7th percentile son is going to fit it very long. I'm up for any suggestions.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd probably skip another convertible. The ProRide doesn't offer much leg room for rear-facing kids, so I'd use the Chaperone for the baby, then move the baby into the ProRide and get a combination seat (forward-facing-only, harness-to-booster) for the now-3-year-old. Then later, pass down the Nextfit to the baby and get another combo seat for the now-2-year-old.

Actually, right now I'd probably swap the seats they're currently in just to give the older child some more leg room (Nextfit for the older one and ProRide for the younger), but if your kids are small and the older one isn't complaining, no need.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I should add that my recommendation assumes you have at least year before you'd need to pass down any seats, meaning your 3-year-old would be at least 4 by that point.

Jdefazio1

I'm hoping to keep my three year old rear facing until four. Yes, at least a year before I have to pass down any seats. My three year old seems pretty comfy in the proride at this point. When she starts complaining ill swap her to the Chico and my 20 month old to the proride. Thanks for the tip. I may hold off on another convertible.

Jdefazio1

I'm not sure how to reply to each person. I thought I was doing it separately but it looks like it's all coming up the same.

Sorry for the confusion. This is for aept. I hope to keep all my kids rear facing Until four. For my first two we were able to keep them in the infant seat until a year old. I think I'll probably get an extra convertible for our 2007 a7 for times we have to take just one child places. Which seems pretty frequent. Or for when their father and I have to travel separately with the kids. What extended rear facing seats do you recommend?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC