I want to put my 5 year old back in a harness...

lmiranda8681

And he is super mad at me. I recently bought him a hbb and told him if he sits like he is suppose to and doesn't fool around he can keep using it instead of his harness. He has been great in it, I haven't had to correct him once but something about it is making me uncomfortable and I'd rather him be harnessed a while longer. Maybe it's just because I kept his brother harnessed until 7 and he just seems too young to me. Am I justified in my concern? Would you keep your 5 year old harnessed even if they sat correctly in a booster? He's just around 40lbs and turned 5 the end of January. He's in an oobr, but he would still fit in the radian I have.

ADS

lmiranda8681

I'm just going with my gut and switching his seat back, but I was just wanted some other opinions. Maybe he'll be ok with me letting him use the booster in his dad's car(who he is hardly ever with), idk:/

bubbaray

No, I would not keep my child in a harness at 5/40 if they sat properly in a booster. I moved both of my girls at 5/40.

lmiranda8681

I'm probably just being over protective then. My only concern that has real validation I guess is that he does still fall asleep in the car. He hasn't in the booster yet because we haven't made a real long drive or one when he was tired. Maybe I'll just keep the extra radian in there FFing as an option when it is late or we'll be in the car for a while. Seems like a good compromise. With summer coming up we'll be making day trips to the beach and stuff.

also I read something yesterday that said that the AAP is recommending kids be harnessed until 8? So that made me think maybe I was being lax or something.

spbabyg113

I don't have any plans of moving my almost 6 year old out of his harness anytime soon and he sits perfectly in a booster :) Go with your gut Mama and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it! As long as there is a harnessed seat that my kids fit in that's what they'll be in :)

bubbaray

My girls sleep in their boosters ALL the time and never fall out of position.

Statistics show no safety difference between harness and booster after 5/40. For a child that can stay in position, there is no evidence showing a safety advantage to a harness.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We moved children #1-3 to boosters at 5y. Our #4 is in a harness because I want her in the 2nd row next to our #5 and she can't buckle a booster there. She will be harnessed in her frontier until she outgrows it because I am not looking forward to having a rf in the middle of my 3rd row and having a booster child have to climb over it everyday.

Stelvis

I would have no problem with it if he sits properly. I would see how he does with sleeping. Try telling him to lean against the headwings rather than forward.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm probably just being over protective then. My only concern that has real validation I guess is that he does still fall asleep in the car. He hasn't in the booster yet because we haven't made a real long drive or one when he was tired. Maybe I'll just keep the extra radian in there FFing as an option when it is late or we'll be in the car for a while. Seems like a good compromise. With summer coming up we'll be making day trips to the beach and stuff.

also I read something yesterday that said that the AAP is recommending kids be harnessed until 8? So that made me think maybe I was being lax or something.

I think that's a good compromise. Most children can benefit from a transition time where they use a booster for shorter trips but have the harness for longer times when they're likely to get squirmy or sleepy.

We all have different opinions on the harness vs. booster recommendations. AAP is recommending children in the 4-8 age group remain harnessed until they outgrow it. The reality is that most people don't have Radians in their car and their kids will outgrow their harnessed seats at around age 5 anyway. The recommendations aren't really taking into account average-sized kids with giant-sized car seats. They're thinking about tiny kids in average-sized car seats that won't be well protected in a booster because they're like 36" tall and weigh 28 lbs at age 6.

Personally, I lean on the side of "harness as long as possible" but I have to admit that it's my personal opinion and I have no strong proof or data to back it up. There are good arguments on both sides of the issue. But since you already promised your child that if he does well in the booster he can continue using it, and since boostering at his size and age is a reasonable choice to make, I'd probably stick with it. Keeping a child safe for THIS trip or THIS month or THIS year is only one of the goals we have as parents. The other goal is to instill good habits and make the child feel good about making appropriate safety decisions. If you go too far overboard in the safety department without any good reasons to back you up other than being nervous, especially when the decisions you make go against what the child wants, you risk having the child blow all your safety concerns off on you being overprotective. When your child is 16 and has to make a choice about piling into the back of a friend's pickup truck because the cab is full, or whether to ride with a friend who's been drinking (the alternative being risking your wrath when he calls home for a ride or for confirmation that you'll pay for the cab home), you want him to think something like "Mom said this was dangerous and she's always given me good advice in the past" instead of "Mom said this was dangerous but then again she thinks everything is dangerous and never lets me do anything fun." KWIM?

lmiranda8681

I totally agree with you Brigala. He's so very proud of himself and very conscience of his posture in his new seat I know he is really trying. And he is my strong willed child who really doesn't listen to me a whole lot! lol. But the reality is we are hardly ever in the car! We are homeschooling and my family all live with-in 10-15min. of me, and besides going to the park or store we are really not in the car a whole lot! But taking a 1.5-2 hour drive to the beach I can't see him sitting still, or not slouching down or reaching to annoy his brothers(he has some sensory issues and needs to move a LOT, that's why I'm so very surprised by his self control in the booster) So using the radian for long drives and booster for everyday use seems good to me.

I'd be totally fine with it. So long as he follows the rules, he's safe :) Go with your gut, you're a better driver when your mind is on the road and not worrying too much about kids staying in position.

Clek CPST

I know this thread is a few days old already, but I just wanted to add that the Oobr can be reclined if it's installed with LATCH. If you're worried about him sleeping in the seat when you do start taking longer trips with it, that's something to keep in mind. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC