Question I need seat recommendations (convertible)

happymom

Ok, I'm trying to help a friend choose a new seat. She plans to move her 6 month old to a convertible seat soonish and really likes Britax seats because of their easy use and install (her favorite thing about them is the ease of using the LATCH system, and how it has a little push button release).

Anyway, they drive a 2005 Nissan Murano, and the seat comes in and out of the car at just about every car ride, which I know is not ideal. Their situation is that they live in a multi-family home but their family only has one vehicle that generally goes to work with the husband. My friend is left with the car seat base/infant seat and if she needs to go somewhere she will borrow a car from someone she lives with or she will grab a ride from a friend. She's really good at installing her seat, but it is very important that she "upgrades" to an easy to install seat.

Her daughter is in the 90th percentile for height and 60th percentile for weight. Right now she is planning to rear face until at least 2.5, but I have a feeling when that time comes, if her seat allows for it, she would like to continue rear facing longer than that. She loves my son's Marathon, but I don't think the seat is the best fit for her situation.

I'm no expert, but I believe if her daughter stays on her curve, the seat could be outgrown rear facing before she is 2.5 years. Are there other seats with a just-as-easy install as the Britax? I haven't paid much attention to the LATCH options on other seats but do other manufacturers use those same types of clips (I had a Graco prior and the latch clips were HORRIBLE).

This is her only child right now, but this seat will be passed to future kids and she will likely have 3 across before this one is booster ready. She is considering the Foonf, but I don't know much about it, is this a good option for her? (This also means she has considered spending up to $400 on this seat)

ADS

happymom

Also, I would imagine their single vehicle dilemma will be solved before 3 across ever becomes an issue. I can't imagine them attempting to move three across from vehicle to vehicle the way they do with their baby now...

CuddlyMonsters

Has she looked at the Diono Radian? You can fit three across with those and it doesn't cost over $400 for the seat. It also will RF until 45lbs. I think the Radians last quite a while for RF for quite a few kids.

My son is in the 97th percentile for height and weight and he was still able to fit in my DD's Peg Covertible RF until he was about 3.5 years old. If he could fit into the Peg Convertible I am pretty certain he could have fit into the Radian RF. He currently at 4 years old is 39.5" and weighs 43lbs.

happymom

We looked at it together at Buy Buy Baby, but maybe I have a bad taste in my mouth because I heard it was hard to use and hard to install. I didn't pay any attention to the LATCH clips.

Would it be an acceptable seat to move from car to car every day?

Dorothy

Did you look at the Graco MySize/Size4Me/Head wise trio? They are probably the tallest rfing right now, I think. The rfing weight limit is 40#. I've never installed one, but i cant imagine it would be difficult. What about a Graco MyRide, even? In my experience, its a very easy install. Its not quite as tall as the Graco trio or Dionos, but its taller than the New Gen Britax. The rfing weight limit is 40#. HTH :)

happymom

Do you know if the LATCH clips are the same on all Graco seats? I have the Snugride 22 and I have been in tears trying to uninstall that seat from my car with their stupid little latch hook things and a strap that is impossible to loosen.

I know she will pick the Britax just because of the ease of uninstalling the seat unless Graco upgrades their latch clips on their convertible seats.

Kel

She could in stall with seat belt. I do d it easier than latch. I also 2nd the Radian. Mine installs in just a couple minutes in my van. It's worth a try. It's also great for 3 across.

If she's planning more children, she could go with a britax now, then pass it down later.

happymom

Ahh Kel, thanks. Maybe I should take her and try to give the Radian another shot, but using the Britax now and passing the seat to a younger baby wouldn't be a bad option because I highly doubt she'll be doing all that car hopping with two kids!

1mommy

I know the Evenflow Symphony has super easy latch straps, their supposed to self ratched too which sounds super cool.

I *think* the Sureride has the push button latch connectors too. I *think* the DLX after any carseat means they have the nice latch connectors?

MommyShannon

I agree, I'd get the NextFit since its easy to install with LATCH, has built-in lockoffs if needed in a different car, and is much taller. I do find the Britax seats easy with LATCH to the point I do often pop one in and out of our cars for different reasons, but you are right about it being short for a tall kiddo.
ETA: I agree about passing a Britax down too. That's what I do since I live them for my kids while they are younger.

Rebekah

I have a Radian, and I love it. I haven't had any issues installing or using the seat. It has the push-on LATCH connectors and push-button release.

All that aside, I would not want to uninstall/re-install that thing multiple times a day. It is heavy...like 27 pounds heavy.

Rebekah

I *think* the Sureride has the push button latch connectors too. I *think* the DLX after any carseat means they have the nice latch connectors?

The manual shows the standard connectors. The item description also just says "LATCH compatibility" with no mention of "Premium," "Push-on," etc. I'm not sure what the "DLX" stands for.

jenia5412

I have a Radian, and I love it. I haven't had any issues installing or using the seat. It has the push-on LATCH connectors and push-button release.

All that aside, I would not want to uninstall/re-install that thing multiple times a day. It is heavy...like 27 pounds heavy.

Same for the Foonf! I absolutely love it, and it is incredibly easy to install, but no WAY would I want to lug that 36lb. beast in and out of cars for every ride!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC