I made a car seat brochure, need feedback ...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
A few random things, I think some have been posted.

booster section-

no backed or backless instead of lbb

Put that no back boosters are ideally used after the hbb is outgrown, I'm not big on definitive statements and plenty people here are using nbb before then.

MO state law requires a child be age 4 and at least 40# before being able to use a booster seat. The sentence under boosters is really long and confusing I think.

Booster till 8, then mention 5 step test not that they just need them longer.

next section-

rfing till height OR weight is met, not just as long as possible

how long your seat is usable under the expiration part.

we talked about the lap belt thing on the phone. :)

I might leave out the advanced airbag part, it's a tricky situation

rfing-

lbs needs a . at the end

I would put you can't use the seats in front of an active airbag.

for ease of use, when buying an infant seat...

only an inch of seat above their head or their head is w/in an inch of the top of the seat

ffing-

There are convertibles that go to 70 and 80#, so change 65#.

I don't even know if that makes sense, lmk.

ADS

LM4M

CPST Instructor
Is there an updated version of this? Or have you updated the original link?

My shoulda-been-an-English-teacher is coming out, and I noticed a few grammatical and spelling errors. If that's the updated version, I'll list them for you. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, I think you did an awesome job!!!

LM4M

CPST Instructor
The first link:

-first sentence under the picture that reads "rather then the harness" should be "than", not "then".

-sentence that reads "there are two types high..." add a comma between types and high.

-sentence that reads "missouri law states children need to stay in a booster...." put a comma between the number 8 and the word "but".

-sentence that reads "carseats do expire, check with the...." the word "manufacture" should be "manufactureR"

Second link:

-sentence that reads "when buying an infant seat..." place a comma between the words seat and look.

-sentence that reads "harness slots need to be at or above the shoulders..." replace the comma at the end with a period

And I believe someone already mentioned the words harness slots in the same sentence twice.

:thumbsup:

I think it's so awesome of you to take the time to make this. I have been thinking that someone should! it's hard to get people to listen about car seats when they think they know everything already so having something printed for them to refer back to is always good. I think it will make people pay more attention if it's in writing as then it doesn't just come across as "my opinion".

Are you opposed to sharing the final copy with us so that we may share it with family, friends- (complete strangers in parking lots putting their 11 month old's in the car FF)?....am I the only one who has said something to a stranger in this scenario?

I know this took you a long time and I'm not sure if it's state-specific but if you wouldn't mind I'd love to share it.

Thanks!

emandbri

I will make a version that isn't state specific. I hope to get it done in a few days, I have a lot going in right now. I will post it in this thread.

::er!ca::

Love it! You've done a great job!

I can't wait to see the non-state specific version, I'm going to print out a million and one (ok, maybe not that many!) copies and keep them in a box in my trunk. That way I can put them on cars in parking lots when I see misusage or hand them out to other people and never "forget them at home."

leighi123

For rear-facing seats - I would say 'active' airbag, not just airbag, because sometimes you have to put it in the front (like in a truck), and switch off the airbag if thats your only option.

Also, I liked my rear-adjust harness on my infant seat, I think that one isnt a 'saftey thing' just a recomondation as to what is easier for many people.

I would say 'until the weight limit is reached' instead of just 'until the weight limit'

leighi123

Ok more things I think should be added -

chest clip should be at armpit level - belly clips are a VERY common mistake

something about how tight the straps should be

something about how tight the seat should be installed

emandbri

I need to make a non state specific one, how should I word it?

How about "It is recommended that children use a 5-point harness until they are 4 and 40 lbs."

Is that okay?

tjham

I need to make a non state specific one, how should I word it?

How about "It is recommended that children use a 5-point harness until they are 4 and 40 lbs."

Is that okay?

I would say - "until they are *at least* 4 and 40 lbs."

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Actually, the final copy doesn't have the picture and I added another step. I did ask for permission but Stephanie T didn't like the brocure so I made those changes.

So where's the final version and what "step" did you add? I am greatly curious about this additional step.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you haven't sent it to be published yet, I'd do a good check for grammar and usage.

It seems that you mix fact and opinions. IMO, that compromises credibility.

I'm also concerned about your statement that lap belts should only be used to install carseats. We all know that lap belts are significantly less safe than lap/shoulder belts. However, if a person needs to ride where there is only a lap belt, that lap belt should be used, and your statement could be interpreted otherwise.

griffinmom

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Actually, the final copy doesn't have the picture and I added another step. I did ask for permission but Stephanie T didn't like the brocure so I made those changes.

Right now, the final copy isn't posted and what is posted has what Stephanie did not like. It would really be in your best interest to take it down now, because right now, the whole world can copy it.

emandbri

I'm not in a good place right now emotionally so I've decided not to work on this brochure anymore. I don't think you guys realize how much work I have put into this and what a fragile place I am in right now.

I'm taking them down and if anyone else wants to try working on it PM and I will e-mail you a copy to work on.

BigDaddy

I'm not in a good place right now emotionally so I've decided not to work on this brochure anymore. I don't think you guys realize how much work I have put into this and what a fragile place I am in right now.

I'm taking them down and if anyone else wants to try working on it PM and I will e-mail you a copy to work on.
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Everyone knows how hard it is to construct a good brochure. They understand how much hard work SafetyBeltSafe USA put into their information, and that it is not fair to them for you to use (or just leave up and make available) their work when they've expressed their objections. Everyone here is just as passionate about educating people as you are and many have shown a great interest in helping you. I'm sure that if you put up the latest work in progress (without the copyrighted material) everyone would continue to support you and help you complete it. I for one would love to see this completed in a non state specific version, so that I can hand some copies out to people (with your permission of course).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC