I just hit a deer....

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I would demand the Graco seats be replaced per manufactuer. As for the Britax seats, take them out and very carefully inpect them for any stress. If there are any signs of stress I would demand replacement.
Here are some pics I posted awhile back. Noice the stess across the top of the shell. I know it was a little more severe, but still gives you an idea of what to look for.

If they do not want to replace the Britax seats you could request a letter from them that says they refuse to replace them and they accept full liability if something should happen if you were in another crash. Hope this helps

ADS

melniemi

Thanks - I'll go get them as soon as the bus comes - gotta meet my kindy boy or they won't drop him off. I'll look for stress marks.

It sounded like they would replace, but that they thought it was a little silly and I feel a little silly being paranoid about it, but the what ifs get to me. When we had the skunk incident, they replaced everything without a second thought, so they have been good to work with.

Airforcemomma

I would be uncomfortable using a child seat that had been in any kind of accident. We were in an accident while living in VA, dealt with All State back then. We were going through a green light making a left hand turn at an intersection and hit the vehicle in front of us.....for whatever reason they decided to just stop half way through the turn. So, going through a traffic light after being at a complete stop we weren't going very fast. I called the manufacturer of the seat and they said to replace the seat at speeds more then 5mph (evenflo). So, we called the insurance company and it was replaced, no questions asked. We bought the seat we wanted and they paid for it. I did have to give All State the crashed child seat though in order to get payment for the new seats.

Even if insurance wasn't going to pay for it, I absolutely would still have replaced the seat and been more then willing to pay for the new seat(s) myself. The way I look at it, the seat in the crash did what it was supposed to do, it protected my son in an accident. Therefore , regardless of who is paying for it I'd replace it.

melniemi

That is not even a safety issue. It is a smell isue. I would bring that up if needed. :twocents:

They replaced a door and window in our house without even seeing it so I think they would replace the seats if I request it, considering it is an accident claim. We have auto-owners for both home and car insurance.

I just talked to Britax and they said it passes their 'test' as far as not needing to be replaced, but it is ultimately up to me if I want to have them replaced. And if I do want to replace them, to talk to my insurance. They also said that if it turns out there is any frame damage to the van, to replace. So???? I'll go to a garage tomorrow to get the damage assessed.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
They replaced a door and window without even seeing it so I think they would replace the seats if I request it, considering it is an accident claim. We have auto-owners for both home and car insurance.

I just talked to Britax and they said it passes their 'test' as far as not needing to be replaced, but it is ultimately up to me if I want to have them replaced. And if I do want to replace them, to talk to my insurance. So????

Yeah, I remember when that happend. I hope they see it your way again :love:.

ZephyrBlue

Melissa, did you get the ok from insurance to replace seats? I hope you all are still feeling okay after the experience (hugs)

melniemi

I called and told her that since the vehicle had damage it is likely that the seats have damage and that I would like them replaced and that I need their email so I can email her pics of the seats in my van and links to where to buy them so they know how much to write the check for. She was like "Oh, okay" and gave me the email. I haven't received a check yet, but I think the vehicle estimate was just faxed to them yesterday. I'll let you know as soon as I do:)
Thanks for checking in. :love: I'm a little concerned about the kids riding around in crashed seats, but at least it's just the Britaxes. The damage was a lot less than I thought after feeling the impact, but I still want them replaced.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I called and told her that since the vehicle had damage it is likely that the seats have damage and that I would like them replaced and that I need their email so I can email her pics of the seats in my van and links to where to buy them so they know how much to write the check for. She was like "Oh, okay" and gave me the email. I haven't received a check yet, but I think the vehicle estimate was just faxed to them yesterday. I'll let you know as soon as I do:)
Thanks for checking in. :love: I'm a little concerned about the kids riding around in crashed seats, but at least it's just the Britaxes. The damage was a lot less than I thought after feeling the impact, but I still want them replaced.

Thanks for the update. Make sure you keep your covers as spares or you can sell them.

melniemi

Insurance just called me and asked if I replaced my seats yet. I said no I hadn't and she said ok. That if she had receipts she could do a quick claim and if she didn't she'd send the links I gave her to a claims adjuster and they'd send me a check.

So they will replace and I should have a check soon:)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Insurance just called me and asked if I replaced my seats yet. I said no I hadn't and she said ok. That if she had receipts she could do a quick claim and if she didn't she'd send the links I gave her to a claims adjuster and they'd send me a check.

So they will replace and I should have a check soon:)

That is great!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC