I got the okay from Russ to use the old base on my new radian....

emandbri

and use it past 35 lbs.

I had to take the grippy things off to make it fit but luckily they aren't glued on they are in with little holes.

The seat is more upright now, it isn't much but enough to make me feel better. I haven't heard of anyone else having a better install with the old base, so far this seems to only be an issue with the 2004 and newer siennas.

ADS

oxeye

I think you have an 8 passenger so it might be different. I got mine in my 7 passenger driver's side outboard using the seatbelt and a locking clip. I have to twist the buckle stalk one time to keep it out of the belt path, but installing that way keeps it a little more upright than 45 degrees. LATCH was definitely more reclined - I think because I couldn't get it as tight with LATCH.

NannyMom

Is it in the center seat, or outboard? I really liked the install of the old base outboard. But it was too wide for center. If you got center to work, I bow to you, lol.

emandbri

I think you have an 8 passenger so it might be different. I got mine in my 7 passenger driver's side outboard using the seatbelt and a locking clip. I have to twist the buckle stalk one time to keep it out of the belt path

Wow, I wasn't even sure how to go about trying a locking clip! It should have occurred to me to twist the buckle.

Is it in the center seat, or outboard? I really liked the install of the old base outboard. But it was too wide for center. If you got center to work, I bow to you, lol.

Yes, it is center with the seat belt, it did not fit well with latch at all. I used the same trick I did with the new base, bringing the seat forward and then putting it back. I checked the level with my ipod and I still got around 41 degrees which is what it was before but it more upright so it just must be the way I'm checking the recline.

NannyMom

Wow, I wasn't even sure how to go about trying a locking clip! It should have occurred to me to twist the buckle.

Yes, it is center with the seat belt, it did not fit well with latch at all. I used the same trick I did with the new base, bringing the seat forward and then putting it back. I checked the level with my ipod and I still got around 41 degrees which is what it was before but it more upright so it just must be the way I'm checking the recline.

Hmm... I have 2 days off now. I'll have to play around. I thought it was too wide to fit between the plastic pieces where the seat folds. But maybe because I was trying with latch.

elle7715

yes. older radians can use the new base.

Great, thank you so much! I was never comfortable with how the older base forced the LATCH connectors to the side. Depending on how fast DD grows I might get her an XT and give DD2 her Radian 80. Then I'll just use the XT's new base on the older Radian.

DahliaRW

So you were able to get it more upright with the old base? I've usually heard the opposite. I really don't like the old base and the install in my Sienna that much (I have a 7-passenger). It works, but the LATCH connectors barely fit around it. I've toyed with buying a newer base to use on my older seat, but last time I contacted SKJP they didn't have the new base for sale yet (this was back in June).

NannyMom

So you were able to get it more upright with the old base? I've usually heard the opposite. I really don't like the old base and the install in my Sienna that much (I have a 7-passenger). It works, but the LATCH connectors barely fit around it. I've toyed with buying a newer base to use on my older seat, but last time I contacted SKJP they didn't have the new base for sale yet (this was back in June).

When I put the old base Radian outboard in my 8pass sienna, I loved the fit. The latch connectors went between the base and the seat bight. That allowed it it be a bit more upright.

In the center, I think the old base has to allow it to be more upright. The newer narrower base slides right into the seat bight, making it very very reclined. But because the old base is wider, and the center seat itself is narrower, there's no way the base could slide into the seat bight.

I haven't tried it yet as described (I only tried latch and it failed horribly), but that's what I'm in envisioning. I may go play with the RN today if I can find an old base.

NannyMom

Well, I failed. Unless a crooked seat (facing a bit more to the side than the back) is ok :whistle: That's the only way I could get the RN old base to install RF in the center seat.

And on another note.... I couldn't get it to install well with seatbelt FF on the center seat (that's the only place I tried). Emandbri, did you have your installed with seatbelt or latch FF?

Emanbri, you aren't planning on coming to Lifesavers in PA are you? I think you need to teach me how you do it :whistle: Maybe pics would help? DO you have any pics?

emandbri

Well, I failed. Unless a crooked seat (facing a bit more to the side than the back) is ok :whistle: That's the only way I could get the RN old base to install RF in the center seat.

And on another note.... I couldn't get it to install well with seatbelt FF on the center seat (that's the only place I tried). Emandbri, did you have your installed with seatbelt or latch FF?

Emanbri, you aren't planning on coming to Lifesavers in PA are you? I think you need to teach me how you do it :whistle: Maybe pics would help? DO you have any pics?

I have tons of do right now but hopefully can get some pictures next week. I don't think pictures would help though, it looks the same as in my siggy just a bit more upright, It is a bit crooked but not too bad, I'm okay with it.

Are you trying center seat of the middle row or back row? In the center I think I have only tried it with latch since Benjamin wasn't 48 lbs but I could be wrong. In the back row I have it installed with the seat belt since he is 48 lbs but it was too upright when I first installed it and Benjamin's head would flop forward. When I reclined the seat of the van I bet I could not longer get the seat belt tight, it was as tight as the retractor would allow so I ended up using a locking clip instead.

Afraid I'm not planning on lifesavers right now but that could change. Surely Elizabeth will wean sometime right? :whistle:

NannyMom

I was trying center 2nd row. I should have taken a pic :rolleyes: FF It seemed tight. Until I pulled at the front (like you might to tighten the harness). And it slid forward 4 inches. Didn't try FF with latch.

Just bring Elizabeth with you ;) She can play with Sofi, lol.

It looks like I'm trading my TF for a RN. I'd love for it to be able to install nicely in the center. No idea where my manual is..... we can't remove the center seat and move an outboard one to the center, can we?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No idea where my manual is..... we can't remove the center seat and move an outboard one to the center, can we?

Nope, not possible in the 8-passenger Sienna model. Only the '04 and newer 7-passenger model Siennas let you move the second row passenger side vehicle seat over to the second row center. The 8-passenger version's second row vehicle seats can only be placed in their original positions or removed entirely, not shuffled around to another spot. And in case you're also wondering, you can't swap second row vehicle seats between the 7- and 8-passenger versions due to differences in their respective floor pans.

NannyMom

Nope, not possible in the 8-passenger Sienna model. Only the '04 and newer 7-passenger model Siennas let you move the second row passenger side vehicle seat over to the second row center. The 8-passenger version's second row vehicle seats can only be placed in their original positions or removed entirely, not shuffled around to another spot. And in case you're also wondering, you can't swap second row vehicle seats between the 7- and 8-passenger versions due to differences in their respective floor pans.

Thanks. That's what I figured I'd be told.

btw- for anyone interested (that hasn't found it yet), I posted my issues and pics in a new thread here http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=94550

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC