I ended up putting them both FF

Sarabela

Ian was 32.3 pounds fully clothed (but in the morning) 2 weeks ago when I was at the doctor's office, Neil was 31.2 or so. I had this whole problem with my boulevards when I went to turn Ian's around where the base would not snap into FF non recline mode so Britax sent me 2 new ones (I checked Neil's and same thing was happening) and I was going to keep Neil RF a little longer but I was a bit worried that if I put his new seat in RF it would eventually have the same problem. Someone on here had said it has happened to others after the seat was installed tightly RF so I think the base must warp a little after being tightly RF for a while. What do you guys think? My concern is that if I do install the new one RF it will be past warranty and I won't be so lucky to get another replacement if I have the same problem. Is this a valid concern or would you guys still recommend I put him RF for another pound or so? They are 21.5 months old.

ADS

ThreeBeans

At under 2 I would eek out every last ounce of RF that I could. That would be my parental decision and the recommendation I would give as a technician. :)

crunchierthanthou

There is a link between overtightening the rf tether and broken recline mechanisms.

I would rf him if I could. It is 4-5 times safer for children under age 2. Just be sure not to overtighten the tether. It doesn't have to be so tight that it affects the recline- just taut so that there is no slack.

ThreeBeans

There is a link between overtightening the rf tether and broken recline mechanisms.

I would rf him if I could. It is 4-5 times safer for children under age 2. Just be sure not to overtighten the tether. It doesn't have to be so tight that it affects the recline- just taut so that there is no slack.

This too. You shouldn't hear a musical note if you twang your RF tether. LOL.

melniemi

If you just got the new seat, it should have a new 1 year warranty. With 1.5 pounds to go, it is not real likely that it will take a year. I would rf as long as possible to keep him as safe as possible seeing as he is only 21 months.

Sarabela

If you just got the new seat, it should have a new 1 year warranty. With 1.5 pounds to go, it is not real likely that it will take a year. I would rf as long as possible to keep him as safe as possible seeing as he is only 21 months.

I assumed that the new seats were under the original warranty even though they were new, since they were replacements. If what you say is true I have no qualms about putting him RF a bit longer.

And to "Crunchierthanthou" That is interesting about the tether, I thought it was just the tight latch install that caused it. I did use the tether to adjust the recline a bit, the seats were very straight and while we don't take long drives very often, when we did and they would fall asleep their heads would slump forward if I didnt recline them a bit more with the tether. I will try to get a more reclined install RF without using the tether to pull it down.

ThreeBeans

Your seat is in the 'reclined' position, yes? Jam the base of it as tightly against the bite of the seat when you install (the base, not the edge of the seat part).

Sarabela

Your seat is in the 'reclined' position, yes? Jam the base of it as tightly against the bite of the seat when you install (the base, not the edge of the seat part).

When I had them RF, yes. In fact that is how they got stuck, the bases wouldn't snap into place in the non reclined position. I will give that a try thanks very much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC