Husky-appropriate harness height?

mamato2

Quick question. The Husky harness slots are more like 'holes'. When is it time to move the strap up? When the child's shoulder reaches the bottom, middle or top of the 'hole'? The manual simply says 'at or above'. Knowing now that the reason for 'above' is to avoid spinal compression I question my assumption that you can use it still while child's shoulders are 'in the hole' range.
Thanks.... I'm thinking I need to move those straps up. In the mean time am using Parkway but want dd back in Husky before the ice hits Sunday night!!!!:eek:
C.

ADS

mamato2

Any thoughts? I did move it up (it's still in the house) and it now looks absurdly high. I think I'll measure her torso height in case that would be helpful.
C.

ajweeks

I'm not a tech, but my son is in a Regent and right "in the holes" of the third slot. The 4th slot seems too high, that I think this is a better fit and when he is sitting in the Regent, his shoulders are either just in or maybe a tad under the third holes. I'm not sure when the Regent's slots are so big, it does make it hard to judge. I think that as long as your son's shoulders are "in the holes" you should be fine.

Any techs have other insights?

my3girls

I decided to err on the side of safety and moved my dd's up as soon as she wasn't even with the bottom of the hole anymore. BUT then a couple weeks later I reinstalled her seat in the 2nd row capt chair (instead of the 3rd row bench), I got a much more upright install here and now she could move back down to the slot she just "outgrew". So if you would rather not go up a slot, play with the recline a little, sometimes, some cars, some kids... this works. :D

mamato2

I think I will end up calling Britax on this one. I did measure her and her torso is 17" and her height is just under 48". I see from www.carseatdata that the Husky slots are 11.5, 14, 16.5 and 19" . She has been in the second from the top, the 16.5 height. I think (it is SO hard to tell through the darn padded cover with the thin slits!!!!) she is midway in that 'hole' (makes sense inches wise). I do know that she 'sits' slightly differently in the seat whether it is in the van, the car or in the house. Both vehicle installs are as upright as they can get I think. The Camry I can not adjust and I am pretty certain the van is as straight up as it can be. I also think that if I check her when she first gets in she is more upright. As we drive I think she settles in and down a bit. Arrrrg. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss...well it might be but I guess it isn't 'better'.
If the second to top slot is still good I'll be happy. I carpool once a week with a just turned 5 who usually rides in a Turbo. I have him sit in the Husky. If the harness went up it would be too high for him and I'd have to put him in dd's Parkway. Boy will I hear about that if I do. A 5 year old riding in HER booster that she can only use for backup or others cars!!!! He's not ready for a booster in my opinion. Hmmmm
C.

scatterbunny

Somewhere in the manual I believe it says something like, "when it doubt, move it up". :) I had the same problem deciding when my dd was ready to move up from the second to third set of slots. The third set seemed so high, but it was never a comfort issue.

I like the idea of playing around with the seat recline if you can. My dd is too tall for her Futura in dh's truck but in my van with seats that can be reclined she still is even with them...not over yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC