Huge toddler and Fllo - carseat keeps leaning! Help!

U

Unregistered

Hi! I have my huge 22 month old in the outboard position (driver side) of the second row in my 13 Odyssey. He is 42 lbs, and 38.5 inches tall. We have him RF in a Clek Fllo, which has a rearfacing limit of 50 lbs and 43 inches. We already removed the stability bar from the seat.

My problem is that his seat is installed with the seatbelt, and the seat keeps eventually leaning from side to side despite us using the lockoffs. We literally reinstall it very tightly every week, but I'm not sure if his weight or his wigglyness is causing the seat to tip. When I say it tips, I mean sometimes we leave the house with his seat tight and upright, but when we arrive at our destination the seat is leaning to one side, yet still seems installed tightly. We actually can't just push it back into upright position, since it is such a tight install, so we have to unbuckle and reinstall it. I have no idea what is making it lean over other than maybe he is using his powerful legs to push himself around while we aren't looking.

I spoke to Clek customer service, who said that their "mat thingy" might help, so I have ordered that to try. Their solution was to push the seat back into position if we notice it leaning, and be sure to use lockoffs. But I'm still concerned about this :( It is terrifying to drive around not knowing if your son's carseat has moved and if it is not safe in its current position.

Do Cleks have known issues with slipping around when used with seatbelt installations? Does anyone use the mat thingy and does it help?

I'm torn. I want to keep him rearfacing since the seat still has room to do this, but I am strongly debating buying a different carseat because this one is such a hassle now. I loved this seat until now. What do I do to keep my big little guy safe?

Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Can you tell me when your seat was made, how you are using the lockoffs (the new ones require going under both parts of the lockoffs) and whether you are also switching the belt to locking mode?

bnsnyde

I have the SAME problem!!!!!

I have my large 3 YO (39" and 39 lbs.) RF driver side outboard of our 2011 Odyssey (should be exact same as yours). The seat loosens all the time! I tighten and check it frequently. I mean, it'll go for a time fine, but then loose. Drives me nuts. I get rock solid installs with the seatbelt. I have BRAND NEW lockoffs and the seat is from 2015 but now has the new lockoffs.

I contacted Clek but did not find a solution. (Oh, and we have the anti-rebound bar on). Clek actually said take my mat out! I was using a very thin towel thing. So I took it out but no help at all.
It's like the seat is so heavy with all that metal, that it's impossible to really cement it to the seat like I can with my light plastic Sceneras. ?????
And I can see the way the belt secures it, is a bit weird. It doesn't hug the seat and push it to the seat exactly. I see no way around it. Hmmm...

I tried locking mode and not. I generally like a loose lock.

I am going to watch this thread. I figured everyone would have this problem. Finally it's being brought up!

walnutgold

Honestly I'd go for a new seat. Clek Comvertibles really aren't that long lasting in terms of seated shoulder height. For such a big toddler I would reccomend the Graco Extend2Fit or the Safety 1st Advance Air EX+. They both rear face to 50 pounds with no/a very high standing height limit for RF.
Posted via Mobile Device

bnsnyde

We have the Extend to Fit too, but I think I get more legroom (for me as driver) with the Clek, and it's easier to tighten the harness. I check frequently to make sure it is not loose.
The Clek is so easy for toddler to climb into. At 3 she buckles and tightens harness herself RF!!!!! I check and usually tug it a bit more maybe, but she gets it very good!

jwilliams

I have gotten a stay-put rock solid install in that exact position. Belt unlocked, ARB installed, using one lockoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnsnyde

I am stumped!
I took it to a seat check last week. 2 techs installed it. One was a senior one. They got a good, solid install.
This week, it's as loose as jello. The seat belt flops (lap part by seat).

I thought buying the new lockoffs would help, but no.

Now what???? This is crazy! I thought it was me somehow...but I didn't install this one, and it still did this.

U

Unregistered

OP here - I have a 2014 Clek Fllo. We recently installed the Clek Mat Thingy under it and so far so good, the seat has not moved during short trips this week. We also made double sure that our lockoffs are being used properly, based on a youtube video for that year carseat, and we did have them installed right. I will keep an eye on it and update this thread if the fix doesn't seem to stick!

My initial suspicion was that maybe this is only happening to larger/heavier children who RF in this seat, since the other poster bnsnyde mentions her child is larger too, but if other 3 year olds can successfully use this carseat maybe the issue is something to do with older Fllos?

bnsnyde

The seat seems to be slipping or something. It's the angle. I found a sweet spot angle and got it in nicely. BUT with a 3 YO climbing in and out, I know it won't stay that way forever. So I will redo if it loosens again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC