How to get a tight install in middle seat of 2016 Honda Odyssey

longinwaiting

We just got a new 2016 Honda Odyssey (ex-l). We really want to put our 3 yr old in the middle seat in the second row (Forward facing). We have the seats in wide mode. We need to be able to access the third row from both sides, so putting the car seat in either outbound seats isn't ideal at all. We have a Graco MySize 65. I can't seem to get a tight enough install. The base fits well on the seat.. it just still seems loose. Is there some trick I should know, or does it just not fit?

Also I can't have the headrest on at all in order for it to fit.. I had to take it off entirely. The car seat isn't against the back of the car seat at all with the headrest on. I can't find anything in the manual to find out if that is ok or not. All it says is to extend the headrest to the highest point, but it still doesn't fit with the tall car seat!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's fine to remove the headrest if you stow it safely and don't lose it.

How are you installing the seat, with what method? What seats are next to it? Is the vehicle set up in narrow mode?

longinwaiting

Installing with LATCH and top tether. No other car seats next to it, in wide mode. I tried in regular too but it still slid around a bit. The base is a smidgen too wide so I think that's why it just won't work.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok, it's going to be incompatible in that mode if you have side overhang. You're going to need narrow mode to use a seat there unless you can find a seat with zero overhang off the sides.

Have you tried using a seatbelt install? Pulling parallel to the belt path (from inside the seat if you can access it by pulling back the cover?) Make sure you pay attention to the lower anchor weight limit too.

longinwaiting

Even in narrow mode there is still a slight gap between the seats so that doesn't even make a difference. I tried with the seat belt as well and that was worse.

Do you have a suggestion of a seat with a more narrow base?

I was able to get a good install of an evenflo tribute lx, but my daughter isn't very comfortable in it, and it is missing some features we'd like (no rethread harness, no integrated cupholder, more padding).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It makes a difference because several manufacturers that are ok with a narrow mode install have declared wide mode incompatible. :)

Have you tried a Harmony Defender? It's more narrow and has a no-rethread harness. I haven't tried it there though.

I know the Britax combination seats are incompatible there because of tether issues on the narrow seat.

The Evenflo SecureKid might install well and has more padding than a tribute and a cupholder (though not no-rethread.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC