How to convince someone NOT to buckle like this?

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Unregistered said:
I was under the impression OHS's were bad. Is this wrong?

They're not recommended but sometimes they're necessary for car seat illiterates. For infants the babies head could hit the bar and toddlers aren't always close enough to the shield to get maximum protection. But when you have someone who uses a 5 point improperly and refuses to do it right, it may help.

I'm going to have a snug ride (or other infant carrier) for my baby as an infant and a OHS seat for it for my mother and MIL vehicles b/c they cant seem to do my nephews 5 pnt right. My SIL just refuses to let her mother drive with her baby but as i live with my mother its not so easy for me. :rolleyes:

For my car and my fiance's car we'll both have britax's. i havent decided which one i'm waiting to see which patterns will be available when i have the baby before i pick one (and of course to find out the sex of my baby!)

ADS

Kellyr2

Little Update...
I think I'll call my SIL today. I was just talking to my MIL and she mentioned that my SIL had just bought a new "booster" for him. I don't know if she meant unharnessed (seriously, there is no way this kid is 30 lbs, they say he is, but he's shorter than my dd and much skinnier - and she's 39 inches, 33 lbs) or if she meant one with harnesses, but I'm thinking harness free, because then she said he "wasn't safe in it" so she took it back. (whew!) So for now, she's using the seat that had been in my MIL's car - Its an evenflo that as far as I can tell, has been discontinued. I bought it when my 5 yr old was 2 months old and too tall for his infant seat. Its a convertible, FF up to 40 lbs. But like many of these convertible seats - its really more suited to the infant size than a 3 yr old.
SO, that means she's in the market for a seat!! So, I'm going to call her today. I need to anyway, I haven't talked to her in a couple months now (oops).
Can anyone give me any recommendations for the less expensive ones that are good. I'm going to encourage her to look at the Husky, but I seriously doubt she'd consider paying that much. I'll also mention the Recaro, but again, the price.
I'm thinking the Evenflo Generations and ones similar to that would be good. What are some other ones?
And she drives a sedan, I'm not sure which model. And her other child is 8 and big enough to be out of boosters, so she doesn't have to worry about fitting 2 seats back there.
I'm also going to encourage MIL to get a new one to keep in her car as well. She likes keeping one so she doesn't have to move seats - so I'll probably just recommend that she get whatever SIL gets. And I'll install the sucker when I visit in Dec. I once was horrified to discover that they'd forgotten to buckle the seat into the car. It doesn't have latch or I would have latched that sucker in!

Edited to add - I've got the conversation in my head and ready to go. I know the BRU near her carries the Husky, so I'm going to suggest that, then the Recaro (though she doesn't shop online much, but if she'll ebay, she can get a great deal on a Husky or Recaro). If she's not interested in either of those, I'll bring up the Apex and Generations - though who knows if the Apex has made it to her area yet. I'm betting she'll end up with the generations. But now, as DH brought up - she probably won't install it right either. I"ll also bring up getting it checked out! :D

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Kelly, I hope your SIL lets you help you get the best seat possible & actually uses it correctly! Maybe you could offer to have a day together & pitch in on the cost of a seat with her, then visit a local tech to have both your seats inspected?? ;) :rolleyes:

scatterbunny

Good luck with your SIL, Kelly. :) I don't know that I would push the Husky for such a small child, especially if you don't think she'd keep the child harnessed much past the "norm" anyway. The Recaro Young Sport, if she'll pay the $$, is a good choice because her son is lightweight, and it will take him awhile to reach 40 pounds, and the mom will like the fact that she won't have to buy another booster later, and that the YS in booster mode is a fantastic booster.

The Evenflo Generations and Bolero are good choices because they adjust taller in booster mode. No other combo seats besides Recaro and these two Evenflo seats adjust taller in booster mode.

The Bolero is on clearance at Wal-Mart for only $62, so even if she has to order online, it should only total about $80.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3922506

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC