How long does the approval process take?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm just wondering if any of the other techs (or anyone else,) happens to know how long a seat takes to be granted approval and marketed in Canada once it's been submitted to Transport Canada for certification?

I was reading the Graco Nautilus thread and that the seat has been submitted for testing.. just wondering how long it might take to show up?

I know what the approval process is, but really have no idea of how long it takes. Anyone else happen to know?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I heard that it can take a long time but then again we know the EFTA came out last summer and is supposed to be in Canada now. Getting the weight limit to 65lbs took quite awhile.

So if I had to guess I would say 6-12months.

I don't know the answer to your question (wish I did!), but wondered how you find out if a seat has been submitted for testing?

My guess would be someone asked Graco about the Nautilus being in Canada and were told it had been submitted for testing. That is how we found out that the EFTA was comint to Canada.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

I don't know the answer to your question (wish I did!), but wondered how you find out if a seat has been submitted for testing?

This post said it had been. :thumbsup:

I know in the case of the EFTA they hadn't even been planning to submit it for approval to TC back in July when I first emailed with them. So the earliest they could've started the process is in July and the triumph advance is due to arrive at BRU this month... so I'm guessing if it can be 6 mos from start to finish, seats that have already been submitted must take less time?

I wonder if the Nautilus will be replacing the cargo/platinum cargo seats?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I asked the lady in charge of the MCSC and she said she will find out :D

I'll let you know when I hear from her again.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
This is what I have been informed of in regards to the Graco Nautilus coming to Canada:

....about the Nautilus. Graco had summitted the test factors to Transport Canada, and TC has issued the CMVSS......however...at this time Graco has no intention (soon anyway) to distribute for Canadian use. There are so many 'turbo' seats in distribution already, that probably the concern is $$$. It will cost company a fortune to relabel everything in French language and to resubmit the instruction manuals for reprinting (to French). I guess they'll just see how the market goes with their other products first.

So lets start bugging Graco to bring the Nautilus to Canada!

supermommyof2

So I guess it's not important that it would be the only competition to the only 65lb seat we have that converts to a booster :confused:

We'll need a booster within 1.5 yrs and it appears it harnesses a little longer than the Radian, so it would be at the top of my list for that reason alone. My fingers and toes are crossed...

snowbird25ca

This is what I have been informed of in regards to the Graco Nautilus coming to Canada:

....about the Nautilus. Graco had summitted the test factors to Transport Canada, and TC has issued the CMVSS......however...at this time Graco has no intention (soon anyway) to distribute for Canadian use. There are so many 'turbo' seats in distribution already, that probably the concern is $$$. It will cost company a fortune to relabel everything in French language and to resubmit the instruction manuals for reprinting (to French). I guess they'll just see how the market goes with their other products first.

So lets start bugging Graco to bring the Nautilus to Canada!

oooooo, time to bug Graco. I'd love for this seat to be an option for when dd outgrows the MA. (I'm not feeling the Radian love using it ff'ing with dd, and am counting down the days for the EFTA to show up... ds will go in it, dd back in the MA and the Radian will get put in storage.)

And it would be much nicer to have a seat that I could know would install easily between vehicles when needed.

Thanks for checking Jewels.

But on another note, how expensive can it really be to do a CDN manual and CDN bilingual stickers. :confused: They have other combo seats in Canada, so much of the same could be used if they just changed the number for weight/height limits on the new sticker - no new templates or anything.

Are they worried that people will buy these and then not buy turbo-boosters? I don't really think that'd happen, I think this would be a new source of revenue for them and they'd get people buying Graco that otherwise wouldn't have. :twocents:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Anyone have Graco's contact info that will actually get to someone who cares? I'll send them an email expressing my interest. I don't like the Apex at all, so I would be happy to have more choices available.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well they brought the new AirBooster to Canada and this seat would cost more then a Turbo booster so they could just phase out the Turbo booster . . . :whistle: Although that would make boosters rarer but then more people would either buy the AirBooster or the Nautilus :whistle: :twocents:

snowbird25ca

My email to them: (service@graco.net)

eta: The subject I put for the email was "Nautilus 3in1 Combination Seat"

Hi,

I was wondering if you could tell me if Graco plans to market this new seat in Canada in the near future?

I have seen pictures and information about it online and this seat seems to truly fill a need that parents with young children have. As a child restraint systems technician, I am often faced with the dilemma of recommending a few seats to parents that meet the needs they currently have in order to keep their children safe in the car. This seat would meet a need that no other seats currently available are able to and as such I foresee there would be a high demand for it.

I know based on some networking that the seat has been granted approval from Transport Canada and given the CMVSS authorization letter, so at this point it's a matter of when it will be marketed. My hope is that this will happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and checking into this matter for me.

I rarely even consider the apex when recommending seats to parents due to the headrest issue. This seat would bolt to top of my list due to the weight limit, top slots and no need for head rest support - plus it would make a good booster unlike their current combination seats.

(I got their email address off of their website.. I went to gracobaby.com and then to contact us and international contacts. ;))

shauburg

I emailed them too. They'd likely get my business in the future (when DS outgrows his Radians) if they brought this seat to Canada.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I heard back from Graco:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail your inquiry. After some research I found that there will be indeed a Graco Nautilus in Canada. It will most probably be available in WalMart by the end of the month. I hope this answers your question.

Take care,

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC