How important is Electronic Stability Control?

brightredmtn

What people forget when they say hold their value is the net cost. You generally pay more for the Toyota/Honda up front so when you trade it in it looks like your vehicle held it's value better then say an American but with the American brand you paid less upfront. All vehicle depericate the same % each year if they are comparable all around (same condition, same options, same mileage, etc...).

This isn't true. It's a fact that the depreciation percentage of a Hyundai is greater than a Honda or Toyota. I don't have hard numbers for the depreciation of an American car vs. Honda or Toyota but it's very true that some brands depreciation faster than others. Yes I do understand that some cars cost less to begin with.

As for reliability American vehicle are just as reliable as any other brand on the market. I crack up when I hear this b/c I hear many of you say this then complain when your vehicle is in the shop. But, Here I sit with an '05 Tahoe that has only been in the shop for routine maintance in the 3yrs we have owned it (it has 43K on it).

According to Consumer Reports 2006 reliability projections there was only one American car that made the "most reliable" list. It was a Chevy Monte Carlo in the sporty cars/convertible/coups category. ALL other most reliable cars were Japanese. The least reliable lists were made up of European and American cars. No Korean cars made either list.

http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005/autonews_204.html

The vehicles I recommended all got 5 star crash ratings. How is that not just as safe as the Honda Accord when they both got 5 star all around?

I never disputed your report of crash tests. I wrote that I was leaning towards an Accord over a Camry b/c the Accord's safety rating was better.

I owned an '03 VW Passat. They are the biggest hunk of junk on the road. We owned it for 18mths and it was in the shop 21 times for multiple major problems even some repeatable problems but VW wouldn't buy it back. Heck it spent 1mth in the shop when they couldn't figure out where an oil leak was coming from. They wouldn't even pay my car payment that month. Traded that POS in for my Tahoe and have been happy ever since.

ITA. When I was born in 1977 I came home in my mother's 1970 VW camper that she bought in German to tour Europe. She had that car until 1982 when she got a diesel VW Quantum. This car she had until 1998 when she got a diesel VW Jetta. In 2003 the Jetta had just had so many problems she finally gave up. Her mechanic said it had a terminal problem that he had seen quite often and VW wouldn't own up and recall the car. She was a LOYAL VW owner but in 2003 she bought a Civic Hybrid and has never looked back. Our family is done with VW.

I just wish some would look outside the box and see there are other good products out there then just Honda/Toyota. Not saying they are bad vehicles.

I already wrote that I should get over my stigma against American cars and consider them.

I am just for keeping my hard earned money in American pockets and making our dollar stronger.

There are plenty of foreign car manufactures who have factories in America. So in many cases you can buy a foreign car and still keep money in American pockets.

Thank you for your two suggestions I will definitely check out the Saturn.

ADS

brightredmtn

i think that ESC can be a very good thing, not only for tall vans and SUVs, but also for saving your butt during emergency avoidance maneuvers in regular cars, where a novice driver may lose control of the car. but i also suspect that it can have a negative impact on motorists who feel emboldened by the technology, who subconsciously may drive a bit more recklessly, feeling a false sense of security-- ESC "will take care of me".

I have been driving for 14 years but I have no idea what to do in an emergency situation. My grandmother on the other hand grew up on a farm with a car nutso father. My mom has told many stories of how her superior driving skills saved their lives on numerous occasions (all while 5 kids were standing on the seats.) I definitely like that it would help me in a swerve or something horrible, cause really I'm clueless on what I should do if something runs in front of me etc...

dimsumdaddy

I definitely want it on any new car I buy.

My friends and I participate in HDPE (High Performance Driving Events) which means driving your car on a race track (like laguna seca). These events are NOT races, but the point is to drive the car without speed limits.

A friend (an experienced driving instructor and event coordinator) was driving a relatively new BMW with VSC ON on a track day when it was raining like crazy. He was driving controlled through the turns. And decided to "try it with VSC off". He flipped VCS and continued to drive at the pace he'd been for several laps... and within the first few turns with VCS off he spun the car off the track.

Bottom line, VCS essentially gives you a higher safety margin, which you will be thankful for in emergency situations. It's not an excuse for hooliganism, but it is does make things a notch safer, provided you don't push harder because of it.

VCS is able to do what we simply can't. When we push the brake pedal, we are applying the brakes evenly (as distributed by the brake proportion system) over all 4 wheels. VCS essentially has individual controls over each wheel, as if we had 4 feet on 4 different brake pedals with 4 brains working together to do optimal braking.

That's wierd. My post didn't show up till after many people had replied.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
New members have their posts moderated at first due to some SPAM attacks we've had to deal with in the past. The post was approved, and then people started to reply to it. You probably just didn't see the post after it was approve but before the first reply was made. I promise it did show up before the replies, however, as no one but the forum moderators could see it before it was approved. ;)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
This isn't true. It's a fact that the depreciation percentage of a Hyundai is greater than a Honda or Toyota. I don't have hard numbers for the depreciation of an American car vs. Honda or Toyota but it's very true that some brands depreciation faster than others. Yes I do understand that some cars cost less to begin with.

According to Consumer Reports 2006 reliability projections there was only one American car that made the "most reliable" list. It was a Chevy Monte Carlo in the sporty cars/convertible/coups category. ALL other most reliable cars were Japanese. The least reliable lists were made up of European and American cars. No Korean cars made either list.

http://www.carlist.com/autonews/2005/autonews_204.html

I never disputed your report of crash tests. I wrote that I was leaning towards an Accord over a Camry b/c the Accord's safety rating was better.

ITA. When I was born in 1977 I came home in my mother's 1970 VW camper that she bought in German to tour Europe. She had that car until 1982 when she got a diesel VW Quantum. This car she had until 1998 when she got a diesel VW Jetta. In 2003 the Jetta had just had so many problems she finally gave up. Her mechanic said it had a terminal problem that he had seen quite often and VW wouldn't own up and recall the car. She was a LOYAL VW owner but in 2003 she bought a Civic Hybrid and has never looked back. Our family is done with VW.

I already wrote that I should get over my stigma against American cars and consider them.

There are plenty of foreign car manufactures who have factories in America. So in many cases you can buy a foreign car and still keep money in American pockets.

Thank you for your two suggestions I will definitely check out the Saturn.

I would like to see where you find that certain vehicles depericate faster then Honda/Toyota. I have researched this extensivily and have never seen such a thing.

As for Consumer Reports I don't trust most of the things they test esp when it comes to safety & reliablity. They sure messed up big time earlier this year. I also find it funny b/c other creditable auto magazines have given American vehicle top marks for reliability. These magazines are doing long term real world testing. ETA: I just read the article you posted. It really was all over the board realibity wise from the article. From the article it showed all makers had reliabilty issues or where more reliable even if vehicle made from the same platiform. Some of the models they had on their list also have just been redesigned. You also have to look at how old that vehicle platform is too. If it's a platform that has been out 8-10yrs with just cosmetic changes sure the reliablity isn't going to be up to today's standards. But, Back when that vehicle first came out it probably made the list in reliabilty b/c it was using current technology. It's like comparing a 1998 vehicle to a 2008 vehicle is crash testing. There is no way a vehicle from 1998 will meet todays standards. So in the end there is A LOT of factors people miss when reading these articles.

True Honda & Toyota have plants here but all your money is not staying in America to help our American economy which really needs our help right now. Look where your parts are coming from. In foreign vehicle the domestic content is less then 50% but in American brands it's up in the high 70-80% range. Also look at how many American workers American brands are employing compared to foreign brands. Just GM alone has 3/4th as many American auto employees then all the foreign brands in the US alone.

I agree VW has some major issues. The car has nice and rode great but I needed something dependable as my vehicle is what transports my girls 95% of the time. After the transmission problems almost left me stranded with just my 2 girls and myself on the side of a very busy major highway I was DONE with it. I was very luck when this occured I was really close to my mother's work and was able to make it there. I called the VW to come and get it and then called my dh to come and get us and we drove straight to the Chevy dealership and bought my Tahoe. It was a huge deal for us to buy a foreign vehicle but we both wanted something sporty to drive but not so hard on the pocket book.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Rather than beat the recurrent dead horse of buy American vs. foreign vehicles and what really constitutes either vehicle category in our globalized auto industry, let's steer this thread back on course to the OP's stability control question. :)

SusanMae is right about stability control becoming a mandated standard feature on new cars in the U.S. by 2012. Here's a MSN Autos article about the requirement and about stability control: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435633

In the meantime, before it becomes mandatory, I highly recommend a model already equipped with standard or optional stability control if at all possible. :) I learned to drive in the snow way before ABS, traction control, and stability control were typically available in most cars, with the exception of some uber luxury models. That being said, I have recently grown to appreciate the merits of stability control, not just for a higher profile van or SUV, but for a lower profile passenger car as well. This may have something to do with our street going unplowed for 3 days after the most recent major snowstorm, and the tendency for black ice to build up at the entrances into our sub from the main roads, where turning without spinning out can be a dicey experience. ;) In the vehicles I've researched, or the two we currently own with stability control, there is a switch to deactivate it on or underneath the dashboard for those who view it as too "big brotherish." I've yet to turn the switch off though in our cars, because so far I'm more than happy to have it active. It's also hard to anticipate when you might hit black ice/puddles/or need to make a defensive driving avoidance maneuver which could benefit from having stability control active, so I'm inclined to leave it on. :twocents:

tl01

SPB I do agree...it's implemented differently in every vehicle and it definitely can be (and is) a good thing for certain drivers.

On the other hand one could also argue that some drivers with 4x4 drive more recklessly because of it as well thinking that it will "save" them in adverse weather which is not the true intention of having 4-wheel drive.

The one vehicle that I did have 4-wheel drive in I only used it 3 times.....to pull other vehicles out of ditches in the snow. I never used it, and vowed never to buy a new vehicle with it...beggars can't be choosers when it comes to used though. :twocents:

I would agree that it is implemented differently on each brand/model of car. If you are going to be racing a whole lot (which I doubt) then it will likely drive you nuts. On some cars it can be intrusive; luckily, on the cars I've had it, it has never been a problem. ESC has only turned on when I've thought it was necessary. ESC is a requirement for me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC