How fast does torso height increase???

izzyh4

Sorry everyone, I would really appreciate some advice again. I was able to get a rock solid install with the frontier with LBP in my XC90 and DS has about 1 1/2 inches to the top shoulder slots in harness mode. I know it is a really general question but how long do you think it will last? The seat does not work well in my car in booster mode as it is too difficult to buckle (because of the width). Also in harnessed mode his knees are really close to the driver seat about 4 inches is that safe? We tried the Monterey out and he LOVE LOVE LOVES it. It fits beautifully both him and the car but I am really worried that he is not big enough. He is 6 1/2 almost 47 inches tall but only weighs 44 pounds (last time I weighed him he was 47, my scales must be misbehaving) He has a torso of 16.5 . He is totally responsible and sits perfectly. He so wants to be a big boy and does not want to go back to a "baby seat" as he indignantly calls the frontier (however a bribe would probably change his mind).

I would hate to keep the frontier only to have 6 - 12 months harnessing and then have to buy a monterey. But I don't want to rush him into a booster either. What would you all do? Have tried the Radian 80 too narrow, the graco nautilus he says it is itchy. I am killing my husband with this he says I have talked about nothing but car seats for weeks. And he loves the Monterey, mainly because DS loves it so much. Please help :)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ moved to the top slots of his Radian right before he turned 3, so he was close to 15" then. He's about 15.75" now and will be 5 in a month. He's grown about 4.5-5" since then overall.

izzyh4

So his torso has increased 3/4 of an inch with 5 inches of height increase, hmm. What do you think about the Monterey?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We'll give him an inch just to be safe, lol. I have yet to see the Monterey, but I supposedly have one ordered from SKJP, I have yet to hear from them though so I'm not thrilled at this point. :mad: I've seen the pics and I love how it looks though and how it seems to be fitting the kids. My favorite is the side protection by the arms! It just looks comfy. Do you not like the Frontier as a booster? At 6.5yo, I would be comfortable w/ him moving to a booster full time assuming he sits well. AJ has used a booster a few times and we've never had a problem w/ him, so I plan on moving him to a booster when he outgrows his Radian, which we think will be about 6.5yo.

izzyh4

Yes I love the monterey, Jack says it is like sitting on the sofa at home he can buckle and buckle it himself. He sits beautifully I love the side protection in it.

I love the frontier too the problem is it is so wide that when I try and use it as a booster it is really hard to buckle up. I don't think there is anyway he could do it by himself. I have to latch it in then scoot it all the way to the left to do the buckle up. Which can be done, but I have to climb into the back to do it. I just forsee that being a big issue especially in car pool.

dhardawa

My daughter was about 1/2 inch below the top slots in her Marathon for about three years. So, there is really no way to know. She moved to a Marathon when she was three and had about 2 inches to grow. Now, at 8 1/2 she still fits.

scatterbunny

It really is so hard to predict. In general, most kids do slow down in torso growth as they get older. My daughter had a torso height of 14 inches at 36 inches tall, around her 2nd birthday. Now she's approaching 7 years old, has a torso height of about 18.25 inches and an overall height of 51.5 inches. So in almost 5 years and 15.5 inches of total height growth, her torso only grew about 4.25 inches. There are other kids I know who grew 3 inches JUST IN THE TORSO in the last year. :eek: That's not extremely common, though.

MomToEliEm

About 12 months ago, my DD had around 3/4" away from the top slot on her regent. Well she just turned 6 and is just now borderline on outgrowing the regent. It depends on the time of day as to if the harness looks right at, a little above, or a little below her shoulders. I need to get a level out and stick it in the slots to measure correctly to see where she really sits. I want to get as much use out of the regent as I possibly can before moving her full-time to a booster. I think my DD is growing all in her legs right now so her torso isn't changing much.

ginny4

IMOH i think i would just forget the frontier & go with the monterey. provided he would sit well in it. its so hard to predict just how fast they will grow. at 6.5yo it's usually a slower process but you never know if he'll have a growth spurt & all of a sudden don't fit. i think for a frontier it is an expensive risk. i'd be comfortable with a booster now especially one with LOTS of SIP like the monterey.

scatterbunny

If you could utilize the Frontier in booster mode, I'd say stick with it. 1.5 inches of torso height in the harness PLUS a good booster would make it worth it to me. But if it won't work for you in booster mode, I'd go with a Monterey, since he's 6 years old and 44 pounds, and you say he's mature enough to use the booster properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC