how do you find a sedan w/ 3 shoulder belts??

Pixels

If you want to stick with the Civic, the 01-02 are the same and have center shoulder belts. No adjustable head rests outboard, though they are almost high enough for an adult. Center has no head rest.

The 03-04 are very very similar to the 01-02 but have adjustable head rests outboard, still nothing center.

I believe the blue book value on my 2002 Civic LX is $7,000ish.

ADS

dmpmercury

Maybe a Jetta would work. My TDI wagon is out of your price range but maybe a sedan in the early 2000 years would work. My wagon even has 3 headrests.

Mach Knockers

Maybe a Jetta would work. My TDI wagon is out of your price range but maybe a sedan in the early 2000 years would work. My wagon even has 3 headrests.

Yep!!! I have an 01 TDI (diesel) Jetta sedan. It has three headrests and three shoulder harnesses in the rear. We added a "performance chip" to ours for about $300 and get 52 mpg and up. The car without the chip gets around 47. (It gets better than advertised, unless most vehicles!)

The Jetta is quite the beloved cult car, so you may have to travel a little ways to find one. That said, it's worth it, times ten. :twocents:

You can find a nicely cared for one in your price range. I just searched autotrader.com up to $8000 (so you'd still have your price after negotiation, probably) and found 75 cars. Many of them would be a good candidate.

If you could go up two grand in price, you could get the same vehicle in wagon form....IF you get to them fast enough. I have tried several times to buy a diesel, manual Jetta wagon and they always sell the same day they get listed. :(

Check out http://forums.tdiclub.com/ for lots of advice.

At Autotrader, search for 2000-2004 Volkswagen Jetta, any distance, then under more search features, choose "fuel type" and select diesel. The body style actually started at 1999.5, but you can include the 99s if you just ignore the older body style (completely different car and MUCH less safe.)

sjfost

My 2006 Impala has 3 headrests and 3 l/s belts. When I tried to trade it, they offered me $8000 so you might be able to find something comparable for your price range.

PurplePeony

Yep!!! I have an 01 TDI (diesel) Jetta sedan. It has three headrests and three shoulder harnesses in the rear. We added a "performance chip" to ours for about $300 and get 52 mpg and up. The car without the chip gets around 47. (It gets better than advertised, unless most vehicles!)

The Jetta is quite the beloved cult car, so you may have to travel a little ways to find one. That said, it's worth it, times ten. :twocents:

You can find a nicely cared for one in your price range. I just searched autotrader.com up to $8000 (so you'd still have your price after negotiation, probably) and found 75 cars. Many of them would be a good candidate.

If you could go up two grand in price, you could get the same vehicle in wagon form....IF you get to them fast enough. I have tried several times to buy a diesel, manual Jetta wagon and they always sell the same day they get listed. :(

Check out http://forums.tdiclub.com/ for lots of advice.

At Autotrader, search for 2000-2004 Volkswagen Jetta, any distance, then under more search features, choose "fuel type" and select diesel. The body style actually started at 1999.5, but you can include the 99s if you just ignore the older body style (completely different car and MUCH less safe.)

wow, I never ever thought of getting a vw. I had a friend (14 years ago) who got a total lemon vw, and I've been leary since. But, if you think they are worth it and there are forums dedicated to finding them, maybe that is something to look into. The gas mileage is great.

Are diesels more expensive to get maintenance etc done on??

PurplePeony

ok, maybe those of you w/ a tdi can help. I registered and tried to post a question on the tdi forum, but it won't let me post.

I called about a local 2002 jetta tdi. Seems to be a good price, 9,000 for 95k miles.
She did say that she only gets 40mpg and doesn't know how people get more, as she has tried. She says the diesel fuel is really foamy and maybe that's why she can't fill it up all the way??

ALso, on the tdi forum, there is a thread,"Why do vw's suck?" And that really scares me. This car MUST last us at least 6 years, when I can go back to work as I'm a sahm now. We have no extra money laying around if this car doesn't work out. What do you think??

abigaylebelle

We have a vw passat wagon with the v6 gasoline engine. It's a 2000 with 68k on it. The gas mileage is pretty decent for it, especially considering how big the wagon is, and of course it has the bigger engine. The backseat is great, I can have 3 across very comfortably. Generally it's 2 adults and a rf convertible. It's been fine for us, we bought it used but the carfax was fine and it hadn't been driven much. I've been advised that vw cars need to be meticulously maintained so I've been careful to get its oil changed and whatnot. Anyway good luck deciding.

dmpmercury

I have the station wagon so it doesn't get the same mileage as the sedan. It supposed to get around 40. We were getting around 40 or a little more in the summer. In the winter we get a little less maybe mid 30s I think. We have some really cold spells in Alaska.

I only had my car a year but the carfax was also clear and we had people we know look it over. I haven't heard anything bad about the reputation and talked to some of the local biodiesal/veggie oil guys who know a lot about diesal cars. We hope to get at least ten years. You do have to keep up good maintance and get good oil. Repair costs are a little higher with the diesal.

A funny story is the dealer said they put a new battery and my dh pointed out it was not a new one that they must of put a used one in. A few months later we had problems with the car starting an we needed a new battery. It turned out it was the original German battery from 2004. That battery sure lasted a llong time.

A skimmed that thread because I was curious and a lot of it was talking about dealerships and not the vehicle itself and it said models older than 2003 were good. At least that the jist I got except for one or two guys who don't like vws. Ask around for a trusted mechanic who can work on diesal maybe if you are considering one.

skitle1802

Make sure you read the car seat section of the vehicle's manual before you buy. We have a 06 Chevy Aveo (hatchback), has 3 shoulder/lap belts in rear seat, only 2 headrests. The manual says that whether you are using LATCH (outboard positions only) or belts with child safety restraints, other belts will be inoperable. So if you have a seat installed center, both outboard positions (LATCH and belts) are not allowed to be used for any passengers. Or if you have 1 or 2 seats installed outboard, center belt is inoperable for all passengers. We bought the car as a commuter but also thinking our family of 5 (then using 3 restraints) could fit.

Mach Knockers

Are diesels more expensive to get maintenance etc done on??
VWs are a bit particular about their maintenance, but they are not more expensive. The only quirk of the TDIs is that they have MUST have their timing belt done on or nearly on schedule. You risk the engine's life if you don't. It's NOT a big deal, it just needs to be done. Secondly, you need to have a good shop that's familiar with TDIs to do it, or you risk the same fate. Again, not a big deal, it sounds far scarier than it is. But, the TDI club board will help you find someone local. The timing belt should have been changed at 60k miles. The replacement belts sold today are designed differently and are good for 100k. (If yours has already been replaced and you don't know which type it was replaced with, you need to assume it was a 60k belt to be safe.)

ok, maybe those of you w/ a tdi can help. I registered and tried to post a question on the tdi forum, but it won't let me post.

I called about a local 2002 jetta tdi. Seems to be a good price, 9,000 for 95k miles.
She did say that she only gets 40mpg and doesn't know how people get more, as she has tried. She says the diesel fuel is really foamy and maybe that's why she can't fill it up all the way??
Is it an automatic? They get lower MPG. Also, they upped the torque and horsepower on the 2002 model, so it gets lower MPG, either way. The 99.5-01 got the highest mileages, the best of those being the chipped manuals.

ALso, on the tdi forum, there is a thread,"Why do vw's suck?" And that really scares me. This car MUST last us at least 6 years, when I can go back to work as I'm a sahm now. We have no extra money laying around if this car doesn't work out. What do you think??
I haven't read the the thread, sorry...haven't been on TDI club in a while. Yep, VW dealers suck as bad as the rest of them. Especially with the above timing belt issue. They'll charge too much and aren't trustworthy.

I have the station wagon so it doesn't get the same mileage as the sedan. It supposed to get around 40. We were getting around 40 or a little more in the summer. In the winter we get a little less maybe mid 30s I think. We have some really cold spells in Alaska.
The wagon has about 2-5 mpg less than the comparable sedan. But, since the torque/hp stats and emissions details are different on each model year, it's hard to compare them directly across years. Here in TX, we get much better MPG in the winter. Cold, dense air is more efficient and in the summer, the AC really tanks the MPG. Any car that runs THAT efficiently is affected drastically by any changes like outside air temp/accessories running/things like roof racks, etc.

I only had my car a year but the carfax was also clear and we had people we know look it over. I haven't heard anything bad about the reputation and talked to some of the local biodiesal/veggie oil guys who know a lot about diesal cars. We hope to get at least ten years. You do have to keep up good maintance and get good oil. Repair costs are a little higher with the diesal.

We bought our 2001 in 2003 with 30k on it. We have run ours on regular diesel, bio diesel, and on another alternative fuel. It did great! We have 160k+ miles on it. We're getting ready to fix it up. It has been pretty neglected the last three years. It needs a bunch of work, but just consumables, like tires, timing belt, etc. There's nothing wrong with the car itself, with one exception:

VW electronics are notoriously quirky. They mostly are fine, but they tend to have intermittent problems. When we bought ours, the climate control lights (the ones in the dash that light up the heat dials and stuff) worked mostly. Within a year, they worked sometimes. A few years later, they worked rarely. I haven't seen those lights on in years now. :rolleyes: But, I know just where the dials are after that amount of time in the car and don't even notice the lights are out until I am talking VDubs.

I've written this post in bits and pieces over the last six hours. My apologies if it doesn't flow well or if I've missed something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC