How do you/did you handle daycare kids & RF'ing??

Wiggles

I''m all for ERFing. But for those who think a CCP should enforce "my car, my rules" -- would you be okay with that attitude in other areas? I wouldn't be. I wouldn't hire a CCP with that attitude.

I've done a fair bit of nannying work. One of my rules is no processed foods. I've never had a parent complain about that. Ever. Even when I was interviewing for a nanny/housekeeper position (which I had to turn down).

I HAVE transported children, though generally in their parents' cars. When it's been in my own vehicle, however, I've never had a parent complain about 'my car, my rules.' Of course, I've always been very upfront and explained why my rules are what they are.

For something like rear facing vs. forward facing, as much as anything, it's a matter of liability. Even if you have no formal contract, you can be held liable any time you transport someone else's child. If there was an accident, heaven forbid, and a child was forward facing that could have been rear-facing and the child sustained injuries like little Joel did, the potential exists for you to be held liable for not doing everything in your power to keep the child safe. That's why, for example, Scouts Canada (I'm a cub leader) tells leaders not to transport children in lap belts when we're trained--the liability is an issue, even if the lap belt is 'legal'. I know that, after reading about Joel, if I can find a rear-face carseat for any child that I'm looking after? That kid fits, he or she is riding rear facing, for my own peace of mind both about their safety and my liability. I'll never forward face ANY child that I can rear-face, after reading that.

ADS

BekahD

I''m all for ERFing. But for those who think a CCP should enforce "my car, my rules" -- would you be okay with that attitude in other areas? I wouldn't be. I wouldn't hire a CCP with that attitude.

I am a CCP and I am not like that in any other area. But when it comes to transporting kids in the car I do feel like I have a say in what I would prefer and I've never had an issue with it. I would have a really hard time handling a child being injured because they were just over the legal limits and I didn't say anything. In a case like my niece when ERF is NOT the best thing for her then I am fine with having her face forward. I just explain it as a comfort level for me when it comes to transporting other people's kids. Of course if parent's had serious objections to it then I would try to find a happy medium. I haven't had anyone get upset by it.... but I am really flexible when it comes to other areas so I think the parents realize its a give and take in my situation. :) I also tend to stick to the 6 weeks- 3yrs age group and lots of those kiddies are RFing anyway.

AtTheSouthDam

When I nannied I was confronted with similar. I put 4 year olds back in boosters and harnesses. I kept the peanut 18 month old RF (17 lbs~). When the parents asked about I told them the info I had at the time. I also provided my own seats. One mother replaced her seats after the info I gave her. The other kinda of just shrugged it off and let me do it but made no changes them selves. If they threw a fit I probably would change it or re-evaluate watching the child (but them these were contracts.) For friends I will install the seat in my car to their wish only if they are riding in the car with the child. Otherwise, I simply inform the that I prefer the kids to be the safest possible. More often than not, if I am picking a child up for a play date, I already have a seat installed for them and I have yet to have anyone complain :)

wyomommyx3

But in a sense, isn't every daycare "their rules"? I mean when you sign that contract, you're agreeing to the provider's discipline, meal plans, education, schedule, nap routine, etc. I know plenty of kids that would NEVER take a nap at home, but are still expected to at daycare for example. :twocents:

And in this case, I don't have a contract. I watch their kids b/c the moms are friends of mine... and they like that I stay home, that it's a little more laid back, that I BF my babies and understand why their BF babies are a little more clingy to mommy & that I won't let a baby CIO. They know my kids are RF'ing and why, but since I've never taken them in the car on a regular basis, this isn't something that has been addressed.

I've done a fair bit of nannying work. One of my rules is no processed foods. I've never had a parent complain about that. Ever. Even when I was interviewing for a nanny/housekeeper position (which I had to turn down).

I HAVE transported children, though generally in their parents' cars. When it's been in my own vehicle, however, I've never had a parent complain about 'my car, my rules.' Of course, I've always been very upfront and explained why my rules are what they are.

For something like rear facing vs. forward facing, as much as anything, it's a matter of liability. Even if you have no formal contract, you can be held liable any time you transport someone else's child. If there was an accident, heaven forbid, and a child was forward facing that could have been rear-facing and the child sustained injuries like little Joel did, the potential exists for you to be held liable for not doing everything in your power to keep the child safe. That's why, for example, Scouts Canada (I'm a cub leader) tells leaders not to transport children in lap belts when we're trained--the liability is an issue, even if the lap belt is 'legal'. I know that, after reading about Joel, if I can find a rear-face carseat for any child that I'm looking after? That kid fits, he or she is riding rear facing, for my own peace of mind both about their safety and my liability. I'll never forward face ANY child that I can rear-face, after reading that.

See, this is my point exactly. In my house, the kids ask to be excused from the table & are expected to clear their plate. They say please and thank you & hold doors open for the "ladies". That's just how it is, and that's how everyone, my kids or daycare kids do it.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I would hate to get in an accident & have something happen to one of them when it could have been avoided had the child been properly restrained. The one dad especially still has the attitude that "I wasn't it a carseat & I survived, why should my kids?" I'm forever tighting loose carseats, and at least sending them home safely. I guess I just feel like I can't protect them at home, but I can when they are here. And I'm sure most of us would agree that a just turned two year old that is pretty petite could use to be RF'ing for another year... and a 3 year old that slouches, falls asleep & reaches for toys doesn't really belong in a booster.

Now to go print off some good info to share with mommies :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I just say, "I have plenty of car seats for everyone so we won't have the PITA of switching back and forth" and if I get questioned about rfing/harness/whatever, I say "oh, that seat goes rfing/harnessed/whatever to X weight/height like the new recommendations say you should do"

I've never had a parent want the kiddo in a different seat enough to hassle with daily switch outs.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
But in a sense, isn't every daycare "their rules"? I mean when you sign that contract, you're agreeing to the provider's discipline, meal plans, education, schedule, nap routine, etc. I know plenty of kids that would NEVER take a nap at home, but are still expected to at daycare for example. :twocents:

You're right. And I'd definitely feel differently if we were talking about 9mo babies instead of 2yo and 3yo children. Still, I think ERFing (as opposed to basic RFing) is a parental choice. We can agree to disagree.

I do daycare. I tell parents up front. I practice carseat saftey beyond the minimums. I explain what that means to them. I have never had a parent say no. I have had them question me(but, then again, they also don't buckle in right, use expired seats, don't use carseats ect..).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC