Honda Pilot 2008

fostermommy6

Is this safe? I just turned my 3 year old ff in a My ride, behind the driver. She doesn't have room to hang her legs down and they are up against the seat, just like when RF. She is 37" and 29#. I would like to get an infant bucket in the middle 2nd row, but I am having trouble getting a snugride tight enough. I am interested in buying a new seat for the baby. She is 7 mon. and 20#. Third row is 8 year old girl in a harmony backless, (50" and 51#), 13 year old seatbelt(6' 1, 150 #) and 8 year old boy(54" and 92#) seatbelt.

Is there a better place to put the myride and the infant seat? I usually ride in the middle of the 2nd row, if I'm not driving. My husband is very tall and my 16 year old 6' 3" rides in the front passenger seat. I had the myride in the smaller split section of the 3rd row, but it touched the seatback and I didnt' think it was safe. Please help.

ADS

hrice

Ok I am going to break this down in pieces. :)

You are correct that the 3yo is not safe with her legs up on the seat so you need to find a different seating position for the Myride. It cannot touch the back of the front passenger seats due to advanced airbags. You could put it in the center and the Snugride outboard. You may find that the seats fit better next to each other if the Myride is RF. you can install the Myride pretty upright for your toddler. The level ball on the side just needs to be in the green.

You said you can't get the infant seat tight enough. Is it installed with LATCH or seatbelt? Where are you checking for movement?

If you want a new seat for to use in place of the Snugride I suggest passing down the Myride to the baby and getting a new seat for your 3yo. If you would like to continue to RF I would get a Radian. Otherwise I would suggest a Britax Frontier 85 since you have such tall kids. It would fit your 3 year old for a long time and has a 9 year lifespan so you could eventually use it for your youngest as well.

Your 8 year old son may still need a booster. 4'9" is about the height where most children fit appropriately in just a seatbelt. Can you post a picture of him in the vehicle, buckled up, so we can check the fit?

Sorry for the long, slightly disjointed, response. :) posting from my iPhone.

fostermommy6

The feet of the myride are down. Can I put the myride in the drivers side 3rd row spot? I installed it upright RF and the back still touched the back of the 2nd row. Is that safe?

I don't think I could post a photo, but my husband might be able to figure it out. We also have a couple nautilus that we are not using.

As for the infant seat, I need a new bucket seat, for ease in traveling in other people's cars. The baby rides with four different people each week. I had the snugride 2nd row behind the passenger and the passenger seat was very close to the airbag and was not comfortable at all. I installed it middle with the base and seatbelt and it slid around too much. right now it is used without the base in the middle of the 2nd row. Maybe we just need a new car.

fostermommy6

I just put the myride RF in the 3rd row drivers side. I did get it tight, but the level ball is 1/4 in the red and the 2nd row is slid forward. I don't think this spot is going to work either. I had it in the 2nd row middle RF before we got our new baby. It did tilt some because of the seatbelt.

fostermommy6

I think I have settled on a spot. The myride is latched in the 2nd row behind the passenger. It is just a hair over the green level indicator. the only problem is that my 16 year old has his knees touching the dash.

Now I just need a baby seat for the middle 2nd row. I am thinking of the Safety first onboard 35. Anyone know if it fits there in a Honda Pilot?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm on my phone so apologies for disjointedness. I have an 06 Pilot and regularly transport lots of kids, so I feel your pain!

To whomever asked about the 8yo - I would definitely encourage the OP to 5 step test him, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he passed. That row has very forgiving belt fit.

OP, what position is your second row in? You should be able to get a MR in the second row without a problem, but if it is scooted up I can see where it might cause a front seat issue.

If you are open to a Radian, I have had a lot of success with having an older child rear-face in a Radian braced on the driver seat. You can't brace on the passenger due to airbag sensors, but the driver is ok. Then you could put the My Ride in the center for the baby - you might need to twist the non-buckle side (I think I called it receptacle in my tutorial - link in my sig) and reach inside the belt path by pulling off the corner off the cover to tighten, but it should install well there.

Hopefully someone can translate my gibberish... I will be back later with more ideas but at least wanted to offer a hand since I am so familiar with the vehicle!

fostermommy6

My 8 year old son 5 steps in the very back outboard, but also can use a Harmony LBB. He is tall.

Drivers side seat needs to be all the way back. Even with the 2nd row pushed back, there is not room for a rear facing seat there. The myride FF there was not touching the seat, but 3year old could not put her feet down. I was told that was not safe. If I can't find a seat to go behind the driver, then I need an infant seat for the middle to allow the seat to flip up and the 3rd row kids to get in.

Sorry if this is confusing. I could try an evenflo titan behind the driver for the baby. I might do that today. I weighed her yesterday and she is 22#. I have to get her out of the snugride.

EmmaGrace'sMom

Remember that a rfing seat doesn't always have to be at 45* reclined, for an older baby with good head control it can be more upright. My Pilot was so roomy, I can't fathom not having room for these seats...but I guess my front seat didn't have to be all the way back either.

fostermommy6

If I pass the myride down to the baby and put it in the 2nd row middle, what seat can I get for the 3 year old that will fit behind the drivers side? Any sucess with a radian in that spot?

UPDATE: I put a Marathon RF in the back, braced against the 2nd row seat for the 3 yr old. The 7 mon. old can use the Myride in the 2nd row behind the passenger. This is just a temp. solution, that leaves the baby riding in who knows what from the foster care agency for her visits. I feel a little carseat crazy that this bothers me.

Last edited:

EmmaGrace'sMom

I did have success both FF and RF with the RN in all middle row positions. Some required twisting the female end of the belt buckle, I think mostly when RF. the RN allows bracing and you can get the angle adjuster as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC