Highback Booster for a truck?

sarahburg

My son is about to turn 5 and is 42 inches and 39 pounds. He is in a Graco Platinum Cargo seat in the truck, but will outgrow the harness anytime now (40 pound limit). I don't love how the seatbelt only attaches to the carseat cover (which fits loosely) for the shoulder positioning in booster mode.

I was thinking of getting another seat, possibly with the BRUs trade-in. Don't want to spend a ton though since it won't be used much. This is for occasional use in a Nissan Frontier crewcab (4 door--kids in backseat).

What would be some good highback boosters for this purpose? He is in a Graco Nautilus harnessed in our van and I anticipate keeping him harnessed there for a couple more years hopefully.

Is the Evenflo Big Kid Amp highback a decent seat? Harmony Dreamtime Highback? Any other suggestions? My 8 year old is in a Harmony Cruz lowback in the same vehicle, but I'm not ready for a lowback for little brother, but wouldn't mind getting one that could become a lowback later. Thanks!!

ADS

hrice

Do you feel he is mature enough for a booster? Will he sit still and stay that way even on long trips and while sleeping? If you answer no or are unsure about any of these questions I would keep him harnessed a bit longer. The Evenflo Maestro is $55.99 with the BRU trade in discount and has about the same harness height as the Nautilus and a 50# harness weight limit.

If he is ready for a booster I would look at the Graco Turbo High Back booster. You can get one around $40 and it usually fits little kids well.
Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

sarahburg

I looked at the Maestro when we got him the Nautilus a couple of months ago, but I wasn't sure how long it would last in booster mode, as the headrest doesn't go up, and the top harness slot is almost the same as the belt position, correct? I think he would be at the top harness level in that seat already, but I might be wrong--need to look at it again in the store.

This will not be his primary seat--will be for occasional (once a week?) use in town only, so falling asleep is unlikely. I guess I was just hoping to only buy one more seat. :) I'll definitely look at that one again though! Thanks!

Kaitsmom

The Maestros top slots are the same as the Nautilus, how much more room does he have in his? Yes, the booster is often outgrown in height when the harness is.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If you think he will sit fine, I would get a graco turbo. That is what our almost 5y and almost 6y have in dh vehicle. I know it will be used correctly by kid and dad. They are only in dh vehicle to the store right in our little town. It works great.

You will probably find a turbo cheaper at walmart or target. Even cheaper then using the coupon/trade-in at bru. Different covers cost different amounts.

Are his shoulder still under the top slots of the cargo?

sarahburg

Hubby says his shoulders are still below the top slots in the Cargo...but I should probably double check that myself. :) This was a spare seat bought for older brother and we brought it out to get some use before it just expired almost brand new in the basement.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Turbo--will definitely look at that one in person too! I think he would sit fine in a booster for the short trips he would be in it.

It sounds like the BRUs deal is not much of one...which I figured might be the case! (at least at this stage when almost no more "baby gear" is needed by us...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC