help with HBB choice - shallow seat plus no head rest?

delly

Hi

My 7 yo DD was in a Radian in the back of my van, but she's been complaining that the shoulder width is too tight, and I think she's hitting the height limit very soon anyway.

She fits ok in DH's car in a Frontier, but I tried the Frontier in my car and there's NO leg room for her if I put it back there. I can't put her in the 2nd row captain's chairs because DS1 (9 yo) is in one, and it's the only place he gets a safe seat belt fit in my car - the back row seatbelts are a horrible fit on him and the head rests back there don't go high enough for his LBB from his dad's car, and even then the seat belt fit is still not great. The other captain's chair has my DS2's (3 yo) RFing Radian. No way on earth that would fit RFing in the back row, let alone the hassle of getting him into it back there!!

So my options are, turn the 3yo around FFing and put him in the back row or find a HBB that one or both of the older kids could fit in, that would fit on the rear bench without a head rest. DS1 is pretty tall, though, so I doubt any HBB would fit him. So I guess I'm looking for a HBB for DD.

So if possible, I need a HBB that

1) has a shallow enough seat that she'll still have legroom behind the second row seats
and
2) can be used safely without a car head rest support behind it, since even raised they're way too low back there
and
3) ideally is < $150 - DH is fairly annoyed that I'm talking about buying another seat. ("what do you mean we need ANOTHER!?" Of course, we have 3 recently expired seats in the basement that I haven't figured out how or where to recycle, so that's weighing on him I think.)

Sorry I don't have exact measurements on DD, she's in bed. I can add em later if needed. She's more or less average, perhaps a little solidly built, not a stick kid like her older brother. ;-)

Nowhere around here seems to carry Clek, Recaro, etc. so I'd be taking a chance on ordering one of those without knowing how it would fit the car and DD, especially since ideally we'd solve this before taking off for a 7 hour Christmas vacation trip next weekend. Britax, Graco, etc, we can probly find, but at this season, I don't want to go near the stores unless I know exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Any words of wisdom? :-/ Please? :)

Thanks
Kelly

ps - my dilemma with turning the 3yo around is that we bought the Radian specifically for the RFing time, so we'd be compromising on his safety level by turning him. But of course I have to balance that against the safety levels of the older kids, especially DS1 who only recently went into a seat belt in my car - it was a REALLY big step for me to do that! :) So putting him in a not-well-fitting seat belt in the back is not a good option, but I still have to fit DD, and while I would harness her longer if I could, I don't see where I could put her Frontier in this car. And then she wouldn't have a seat in DH's car anyway, so we'd still have to buy something... sigh.

ADS

aept

Just out of curiosity, what make/model/year is your van? Others might have the same vehicle and have a better recommendation.

If it happens to be a dodge grand caravan (or clone), you might be surprised at the radian fitting RF in the third row. We've done that occasionally in our van and it wasn't as bad as I thought for loading/unloading.

I feel like the Parkway might be ok, shoulder-wise,1 and it doesn't need head support - so that's a plus. My seven year old is getting towards the top of the parkway but still has maybe one click to go up? He seems to have a long torso though and is slightly taller than average compared to his classmates.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

delly

We have a 2006 Toyota Sienna, 7 passenger. Just looking at the 3rd and 2nd row configuration, I can't imagine how I could fit any seat RFing back there, let along something as tall as the Radian, but I guess I could experiment. Like you said, I might be surprised.

Thanks, maybe I can try to find a Parkway and try it out with her. My DH wants to leave her in the Radian til after New Years. I guess having her be a little uncomfortable is better than compromising DS1's seat belt fit, but I'd prefer a better solution.

tiggercat

A Britax Parkway SG may be a good hbb option for your third row. Tall, not too deep. It depends where your seatbelts come from' though.

Have you tried her in the centre in the frontier?

Can your capt chairs slide forward to leave more room in the third row?

I am not familiar with your vehicle, but I had a RF RNin the 3rd row of my (not grand) caravan without an AA and it fit just fine. Outboard and centre.

aept

Babies R Us and Buy buy baby carry the Parkway, if you have those stores near you. Well, maybe check first, but my local BRU and BBB stores both had it.
If you get the SGL one, and use it in whatever spot in your third row has latch (not sure which seat that is, but I think you have at least one latch back there, right?) then your dd doesn't have to worry about buckling it back in.
I know my ds often forgets to buckle in his vivo. At least the vivo is in a captains chair right now so it's not as annoying for me to be re-buckling it when I notice it is unbuckled. (If it were back in the third row I would be more annoyed with discovering it was unsecured!)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

I'd try a Vivo or Parkway. I think the Parkway would last longer. What makes your son's belt fit so bad? Maybe something lower profile like the new Incognito would work.

delly

Hmm, sounds like if it fits her and the belt a Parkway SGL would be a good choice. I like the Recaros, they look substantial and sturdy, but if the Parkway is ok with no headrest I guess I can trust it, right? The LATCH would certainly be nice - although I can't remember if we have LATCH there since I've had to use seatbelt install on the Radian at her age.

I haven't tried the Radian RFing in the third row at all yet, just kind of eyeballed it, so if I have time I can mess with it and see. And the Frontier back there... well, you know there is one possibility for that which I hadn't considered - the captain's chairs are next to each other right now, as opposed to both outboard (one can adjust sideways, so that it has two spots it can be - slightly centered, or outboard; it's just never has been outboard because the access to the back row was easier that way with big carseats in those two seats for years). I wonder if the Frontier would fit in the center back if the middle row seats were apart. It might make it hard to use the other two seats in the back, but... oh well. I know of no way the captain chairs can be slid forward, though, and the middle seats' recline doesn't really make much difference for how much legroom it gives the back row - I know that from personal experience sitting back there during 7 hour rides to entertain kids!

As for seatbelt fit for my oldest - the rear row seatbelts just are placed so high, they come right up against DS1's neck. Honestly they even do that with me but I've been lax about it because it was "just me", Awful placement. So much so that even he knew it wasn't right, if only from the discomfort of it. The only way they even come close is if you use this little plastic thing built in on the outboard seatbelts that kind of lets you thread it through it and starts the angle across the body at a lower point. But I don't see how that can be safe in a crash - seems like the plastic guide would just snap and then the seatbelt would be up against his neck again.

Looks like right now I've got two options - reshuffle seats to see if anything we already have will fit, or try the Parkway - that seat seems to be the most recommended for the situation I described. Vivo maybe, but otherwise nothing seems to be recommended

Thanks!

Kelly

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I had an 06 Sienna Rental once and I had a Frontier and a rfing Radian in the 3rd row side by side. (actually, I had 6 carseats total)

delly

I had an 06 Sienna Rental once and I had a Frontier and a rfing Radian in the 3rd row side by side. (actually, I had 6 carseats total)

wow! Wait, 6? i only have 5 seat belts back there! Maybe it was the 8 passenger with the bench middle row?
Well, either way, I guess it's worth a try to see if juggling things a little will help. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC