Question Help with FF Center Marathon Install in 99 Subaru Wagon

BayAreaMom

I just turned my 2 ½ year old daughters Marathon around FF in the center of a 1999 Subaru Outback Wagon (preLATCH- a real bummer:(). I was able to get a very sold RF install and tether point after seeing a tech and talking with other Subaru owners. It wasn’t easy, but FF is another monster..

I am having significant issues with the getting the install tight. The issue is caused by an excessively long belt stalk. I twisted the stalk three full twists but it’s still too long and the install is loose (about 2 inches of movement side/side at the base, plus some slack in the belt).

The only thing that worked was to run the belt over the latch bar, but that isn’t allowed according to the Marathon FAQ on the Britax Website. See the picture. This results in a pretty tight install..so if it’s okay, I’d like to keep it this way.
47b8d907b3127ccec4e1d6ca9b5300000040O00AauGLhmzbsWQPbz4Y

I guess my other option is an outboard install as I’m paranoid about getting t-boned (so many red light runners in the bay area..). I haven’t even attempted that..anyone have experience doing this with the evil Subaru wagons? Funny, I loved my subaru before I installed carseats.

Thanks!!!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I can't see your picture, but have you tried leaving the buckle stalk untwisted and pulling it completely into the belt path? As long as none of the plastic buckle is resting at the edge of the belt path, that is allowable.

BayAreaMom

Hi
I will try and post the image again..I think I didn't get the whole link.
ry%3D320

I tried what you suggested- the stalk isn't long enough to thread through the path. The stalk buckle hits right at the latch bar.

Not sure if you can see this in the photo, but the way I have it now the male buckle part is hitting the latch bar also..is that bad?

Thanks

Melizerd

Since it won't work the way Defrost suggested I'd move to the outboard and install it according to manufacturer directions. A good outboard install is still better then an iffy center one IMO.

BayAreaMom

Just wanted to follow up- I took my car/seat into the local tech at the fire department for help today and he agreed it's better off outboard. It was SOO much easier to install there and it's extremely tight. But it's still a bummer that Subaru's are soooo difficult to install in the center. I'm at least glad I kept my daughter RF for so long (she is nearly 2 1/2 and a big girl!) since that was a solid install in the center.

THANKS!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Just wanted to follow up- I took my car/seat into the local tech at the fire department for help today and he agreed it's better off outboard. It was SOO much easier to install there and it's extremely tight. But it's still a bummer that Subaru's are soooo difficult to install in the center. I'm at least glad I kept my daughter RF for so long (she is nearly 2 1/2 and a big girl!) since that was a solid install in the center.

THANKS!

:thumbsup: That's right - outboard with a good install is definitely much safer than a poor install in the center. I'm glad you got it worked out! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC