help with choosing a forward facing/hbb booster combo

davina_21

My 5 year old son is currently FF in a Britax boulevard and a Radian xt (both of which he has had for a few years). I am finding the buckle is getting too tight on the crotch. I want to move him out of the Boulevard and into a new seat that will also be a high back booster. He will stay in the Radian until he grows into a HBB (or he outgrows it).

I really don't know what seat to choose. We are in Canada and it seems like most seats on the market are the RF/FF combos. I know they go up to high weight limits, but i very much doubt when he is 7 he is going to be comfortable in such a seat (same problem I'm having with the Brtiax). Of course, safety is the most important thing.

Height: 47"
weight: 38.2lbs
torso: 15"

I would really like to find the best seat so I don't have to buy anything else.

Your suggestions would really be appreciated.

ADS

Amber Bamber

If you're looking for a seat that will keep him harnessed a while longer, you'll need to get a seat that has a higher harness limit. Some max out at 40-50 lbs. Many now go to 65 lbs though. The Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier are really good options.

featherhead

The Britax Frontier XT would be a great seat. The crotch buckle has three locations, and the furthest one really does give a lot of room. My girls both love their Frontiers. Very comfy seats.

davina_21

Those seem to be the best options. I went to BRU yesterday to check them out side by side. I was disappointed that the Nautilus had the short buckle location. The Frontier is definitely for me. Now, just to convince hubby we need to spend about $350 on another car seat!

Thanks for the input!

bubbaray

How sure are you on his weight? I might keep him in your existing seats and feed him a bunch of Timbits, then weigh him with his shoes/boots and a lightweight coat and see if he is 40lbs. If so, I would try him in a belt positioning booster.

davina_21

I am very sure of his weight. He is tall and skinny. I keep a close eye on his weight. He is very narrow and I am determined to keep him harnessed as long as I can.

I bought the Frontier XT and it fits him very well. I was able to use the middle buckle strap position which means we should be OK with the harness for ages.

Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC