Help w/ Forester 3 across - 1 FF + 2 boosters

hedgefun

Sorry in advance for the length...

DW was watching the nieces a few months ago and allegedly fit 2 boosters in my Forester next to the Nautilus. I was extremely, extremely skeptical. Turns out I was right to be skeptical - there's no way she did that safely. The two boostered kids she was transporting both had turbos. I took advantage of the Target sale and picked up 1 high back turbo + 1 backless affix (they were out of backless turbos, plus the color was nice) + 1 harmony youth booster. I picked up the harmony because it looked like it would be easy to buckle next to the other seats but it's way too wide. It's going back. I tried the GN outboard and the boosters center + outboard - nope. I also tried the GN in the center and the boosters outboard. Better, but still no. Is there any combo of boosters that might work with the GN? I'm thinking maybe a bubble bum for the center position?

On the plus side, now that I've had my seatbelt recall taken care of, the turbo buckles a lot easier. Plus put mine on the higher arm rest setting (yes the screws are in! :) )

I'm also thinking of maybe selling the GN to get something more narrow if that would be a better option. Maestro? Radian? Radian is a little too much money right now, but if I found a good sale I could swing it. CA? I don't have RF-ing needs right now, but it would be nice just in case. I also don't mind springing for a convertible that might work better than a combo seat.

I also thought about another harnessed seat instead of one of the boosters, but I'm not sure I could convince the parents of the 6 year olds to let me harness them. I realize I could refuse to take them, but it makes for a sour environment between DW and her family when that happens. They're appropriate size and age for boosters, plus they sit well in them, so I don't feel the need to rock the boat if I don't have to.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

ETA: My Forester is a 2011.

ADS

creideamh

I think you could probably do Maestro/Radian/CA, Bubblebum, Turbo/Dreamtime/AMP fairly easily... the only thing to watch is how the belt positions over the kiddo in the BB. The center seatbelt geometry is kind of weird.

hedgefun

Sigh. Is there another booster that might work as a 3rd with a maestro/turbo combo as the other two seats? One of the kiddo's parents doesn't think the bubble bum is safe. There's no convincing her, I tried.

I'm probably going to get the maestro rather than a CA or radian to replace the GN.

creideamh

I very, very highly doubt it.

I think you might be able to get a 3 across with Radian, Radian, booster, but beyond that... I honestly don't think anything besides a Radian or Bubblebum will fit and/or install in that narrow center seat in a 3 across. And add to fitting it next to a Maestro and a Turbo... I think you're SOL.

Have you linked her to the Bubblebum article by the Car Seat Lady? It gives a nice comparison between the BB and that sketchy other inflatable booster. I'll scrounge up the link...

ETA- here it is http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2011/04/car-seat-lady-does-not-recommend.html Directed toward why the other one is bad, but it has a lot of info on why the BB is good.

ETA2- you may also try an AMP or 2 in the mix. They seem to fit in places Turbos can't.

hedgefun

Thanks, I'll try sending them that link!

I'll give the amp a shot, too. Someone I know has one I can borrow to try before I buy one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC