Help trouble installing 2 differant car seats

kflek

I have been trying to install 2 car seats. A Radian 65 and a Cosco Scenera and have been having no luck. First of all I have a 2007 Rav 4. I'll start with the Radian.

Radian 65: I want to be able to install it both rearfacing and forward facing for my 7 month old and 2 year old. I can get it installed rock solid Rear facing latch but can not get it installed Rearfacing seat belt or Forward facing latch or seatbelt. Once I get the seat tightened if I rock on it to much it will lossen up. Is there anyway I can get it not to lossen? Also was it supposed to come with a d ring? I don't see one? If I do get one can I attach it to the bolt of the front seat seat belt that dosen't move? That's the only place I see that I can attach it.

Scenera: I only tried it rear facing but I can't get it tight enough with latch or seat belt. It will be somewhat tight but if you try to move it it will loosen. I need to be able to get it rock solid and pretty easily since this will be for my inlaws and I already have trouble getting them to use a car seat properly. Also when it is somewhat tight the back of the seat flies around so I KNOW that is not tight at all!!!

Thanks for all the help.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Radian- Have you twisted the buckle stalk when trying to do a seatbelt nstall with the Radian? Check your vehicle owner's manual. If it doesn't say not to, you can try twisting it up to three full twists. This will help keep it out of the belt path and might allow a better install. It should come with a d-ring. I think it's near/in the rf recline foot when they ship it. Seat belt stalks work fine as long as they are bolted to the frame of the vehicle.

Scenera- I've found that even though the manual says either direction is fine, sometimes the way the LATCH belt is routed makes a difference. It's attached to a fixed point and sometimes it just can't go any tighter, but still has slack on the one side. I also get a much better install when I pull the cover up over the rf belt path and tighten it across there instead of just pulling near the buckle (whether seatbelt or LATCH). Personally, I like to climb in behind it and push it forward with my hips while I use both hands to tighten it. I know that's not an easy remedy for the in-laws, but that's what works best for me.

Remember that you only need to have less than 1" of movement in any direction at the beltpath. The back of a rf seat will move somewhat freely, even when istalled correctly.

kflek

I think I don't know what the 1 in rule is. How do I test it. I shook it pretty hard with both hands and it loosened up Also it just dosen't seem right that the back moves that much is it really ok?

kflek

Radian- Have you twisted the buckle stalk when trying to do a seatbelt nstall with the Radian? Check your vehicle owner's manual. If it doesn't say not to, you can try twisting it up to three full twists. This will help keep it out of the belt path and might allow a better install. It should come with a d-ring. I think it's near/in the rf recline foot when they ship it. Seat belt stalks work fine as long as they are bolted to the frame of the vehicle.

Scenera- I've found that even though the manual says either direction is fine, sometimes the way the LATCH belt is routed makes a difference. It's attached to a fixed point and sometimes it just can't go any tighter, but still has slack on the one side. I also get a much better install when I pull the cover up over the rf belt path and tighten it across there instead of just pulling near the buckle (whether seatbelt or LATCH). Personally, I like to climb in behind it and push it forward with my hips while I use both hands to tighten it. I know that's not an easy remedy for the in-laws, but that's what works best for me.

Remember that you only need to have less than 1" of movement in any direction at the beltpath. The back of a rf seat will move somewhat freely, even when istalled correctly.

I did twist the buckle stalk but not sure if I did enough or right. I was a little scared to do it and pretty stressed by that time.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Call them and ask for a D-ring...you should have gotten one...
I find I have to recline the Radian to get it to install tightly in most cars, there's a huge sticker on the bottom of the seat (at least mine) that describes how to do it (there's a metal bar in a U-shaped path you push to the other side of the U). At first I could never install my Radian tight in any car, I just accepted the 1 inch rule...but after a few tries it's gotten easier. Still nowhere near as easy as a Britax, though...
The Scenera is easy to install with the seatbelt...RF, it's just really upright and wobbly...yup, it's safe, that's how it is. You can get a super fat pool noodle to try to get the recline better, but an older baby can sit up and will do fine in it really upright. It's wobbly, you'll get used to it...just keep the seatbelt locked (do look at your latch strap like crunchy said, that's a big problem for a lot of installs...the 'attachment strap' is too short)

kflek

Stupid Question? If I decide to go with the seat belt install what do I do with the latch so it's not flying around? Also do I need to cut the pool noodle in half or do I need to keep it round?

crunchierthanthou

There are holes on the side of the shell to clip the LATCH into. They're about even with the third stots up and next to the larger circles. Or you can just clip them to each other behind the seat and tighten it so there's no slack.

The pool noodle doesn't have to be round, but I usually keep it that way. I cut three sections that are about the same length as the front of the carseat and tape them together like a pyramid.

kflek

There are holes on the side of the shell to clip the LATCH into. They're about even with the third stots up and next to the larger circles. Or you can just clip them to each other behind the seat and tighten it so there's no slack.

The pool noodle doesn't have to be round, but I usually keep it that way. I cut three sections that are about the same length as the front of the carseat and tape them together like a pyramid.

3 sections like a pyramid? Maybe I'm not thinking right but wouldn't that make it really high? Last time I had a car seat tech use a pool noodle he cut in half so it was flat on one side then just used the one piece.

crunchierthanthou

first, the 1" rule- the carseat should move less than 1" in any direction (side to side or front to back) at the beltpath. Check it by tugging with one hand. You don't need to yank it back and forth with both arms to check for movement.

and lots of pics-

storing the LATCH belt
IMG_3564.jpg

the pool noodles. I use three because one isn't enough in my car and I don't think two are stable enough- especially for me to keep in position while working with the vehicle or LATCH belt. I usually do packaging tape, but put duct tape on so you could see it better. These noodles are ~2-2.5" in diameter. Noodle size, shape and solid or hollow center do not matter. I think one large one with a solid center would be perfect here, but this is the kind the dollar store had.

pyramid.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

It works best for me to pull the cover back and pull the belt tight across the belt path instead of from the sides. This also helps prevent the tendancy to lean to the side when not using LATCH or a locking clip.

beltpath.jpg

completed install- I think it's around 40 degrees. a little less than 45 for sure, but not nearly 30. I could have had it a little more upright if I would have pulled it back from the seat bight 1-2" before I started or kneeled on the front on the Scenera.

IMG_3568.jpg

and close-up of the seatbelt and noodles. The noodles only need to be wide enough to support the base. Make sure they don't interfere with the seatbelt routing.

IMG_3567.jpg

kflek

Thank you soo much. Sorry for the late reply but I had eye surgery and this is the first day I can see (somewhat). As soon as I can see better I will give it a try.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC